Earth Defense Force’s weirdo shmup spinoff is PC-bound

Arachnophobes: Just don't. Turn around, go home, enjoy your lives.

The very fact that the Earth Defense Force games exist is weird enough to begin with (they started life as part of a Japanese super-budget range, and grew into a cult hit phenomenon), but the fact that it has a multitude of spinoffs now (including a PS2-era strategy game) is just baffling. The latest of which – EDF 4.1: Wingdiver The Shooter – is now headed to PC at full speed, and will be available to buy this Thursday.

While it may have been financially viable to just produce a generic vertical scrolling shooter and call it a day, you can tell that EDF’s creators take great pride in the overt weirdness of their games. As such, Wingdiver The Shooter contains all the classic EDF elements, including enormous numbers of enemies blocking your field of view, weapon crates containing random new gear to pick on your next mission, and a painfully slow health upgrade system requiring obsessive farming before you’ll even be able to soak one or two more hits.

As with regular EDF games, there’s near-constant hammily-acted battle chatter intentionally done in the style of zero-budget monster B-movies of old. Hopefully there’s a full English dub track included in this version, because without the familar EDF marching song to buoy my heart, I’m not sure I’ll be able to hold out through another giant bug onslaught.

Personally, I’m holding out for a PC announcement of the latest game in the series, EDF 5, which features some weird new enemies like giant alien frog-soldiers with locational damage and regenerating limbs. They also just announced a crossover event between EDF 5 in Japan and the recent Starship Troopers 3D-animated film. Apparently you’ve got to get your ass to Mars to shoot a different kind of alien bug.

Oh, and if you’ve never played an EDF game before, I do implore that you make your first the PC version of EDF 4.1 next time it’s on sale. It’s a shooter developed by a team that, every time they’ve been given a new generation of console hardware, they’ve immediately tried to discover how many giant alien bugs and explosions you need to cram onto the screen in order to drop performance to dangerously low levels. Sometimes, you just want to smack a bug with a shotgun so powerful that it puts your target into low earth orbit.

EDF 4.1: Wingdiver The Shooter is out on April 26th via Steam, and while no price has been announced yet, I’d be surprised if it’s over $20.

1. Germaximus says:

Wow that actually looks pretty cool. I didn’t even hear about this on the PS4.

• Dominic Tarason says:

Just for one layer of additional weird, despite this getting a subtitled-in-English trailer right near launch in Japan, it never got a US or EU PS4 release.

2. waltC says:

The “video clip” is hilarious…I think I’ll pass…;)

3. Durgendorf says:

I would love to see a list of “Top 20 Jank-Em-Ups”.

• Apologised says:

Check out Naval Warship Gunner. Or it’s sequel. It starts off sensible enough. But then you’re bolting Twin 800mm Chaingun turrets on your double hulled cruiser so you can take down the flying battleship Archeopteryx and you KNOW that the next tech level for planes has those Nazi UFO’s in them.

Five levels later you unlock the Drill-Ship that shall pierce the heavens and homing lasers.

4. KDR_11k says:

Apparently they just announced a localization of EDF 5 for more of Asia. No idea why they’re so reluctant to bring it to the west. Are they waiting for that weird grimdark EDF instead?

5. Gillador says:

EDF is one of the greatest shooters out there, love it :P

(But i think i’ll pass on this one XD )

6. Urthman says:

Every once in a while I’ll tell myself I ought to get over my ethnocentric aversion to anime and check out some of the good stuff I’m probably missing.

And then I’ll see another video like this that’s like 20 minutes of some Japanese lady’s high-pitched squealing in my ears and I’ll remember that nope, nope. Just nope.

• Dominic Tarason says:

The fact that you’re having trouble telling the difference between anime and a vocal quirk in Japanese marketing would suggest that, yes, you may have some work ahead of you yet.

ooshp says:

What Dominic said… Just give us EDF 5. I’m ready to vanish off the face of the planet again to 80% your silly game.

Comment on this story