Grand Theft Auto V launches Premium Online Edition

A new edition of Grand Theft Auto V launched today, though it’s not much to get excited about. The £68 Grand Theft Auto V: Premium Online Edition contains Rockstar’s open-world murder simulator plus a bundle of not-very-exciting vehicles, properties, weapons, cash, and clothes for the multiplayer side, GTA Online. It’s not really worth it.

That bundle is the Criminal Enterprise Starter Pack, which Rockstar launched in December 2017. It contains instant unlocks for all the properties needed to start the major crimeboss activities, clothes, tattoos, weapons, a range of vehicles, plus a million dollars in GTA virtuacash.

All of the contents are functional but not good or even that interesting. They’re at the cheap and bland end of the spectrum of options in each of their classes – the cheapest biker clubhouse, the most remote corporate bunker, some unremarkable cars, boring clothes, and so on.

Sure, it’s billed as a ‘Starter Pack’ and it does let you skip a fair bit of the unlock grind but if I’m paying an extra £28 of real money I’d hope for cooler things.

GTA Online was mighty boring when it first launched but I’ve come to really enjoy it after years of updates. With pals or some friendly randos, doing crimes and pootling about can be a right lark, and I had some lovely times just cycling around listening to podcasts and seeing what other people were up to. If the cheaters don’t ruin it. Or the griefers. And if you don’t end up having your account wiped and temporarily banned for reasons that Rockstar don’t explain but you suspect might be connected to exploring diorama mods though you thought that was safe so oh god I’m just so annoyed about losing all that progress I will never play ever again. TOO BAD.

The Grand Theft Auto V: Premium Online Edition bundle is on Steam for £67.98/€89.23/$84.98. That’s 15% cheaper than buying the game and Starter Pack separately.

Disclosure: Like half the population of Edinburgh, I know some folks who work at Rockstar.

1. Someoldguy says:

Oh boy. John can look forward to it occupying a slot on next week’s Steam chart. I can sense his excitement building already.

Aerothorn says:

I wish that knowing Rockstar folks had helped you get your account restored. That really sucks :(

3. MikoSquiz says:

How much do I have to pay for a special edition that doesn’t have online?

• Kefren says:

That’s what I was thinking! I never buy games with double-DRM, so the Rockstar Club requirement meant I haven’t bought one of their games since Vice City.

• MazokuRanma says:

What kind of double DRM did San Andreas have? I don’t recall anything like the Rockstar Club you mention, and I played that one on PC. This was a boxed copy, it’s not on Steam, not sure if that makes a difference.

I played IV on PS3, so they may have started it there, not sure. Haven’t bothered with V.

• Kefren says:

Sorry if it was unclear – I wasn’t saying that everything after Vice City had the DRM (I think it came in with GTA4), just that the last one I placed was Vice City. I enjoyed that to a degree, but not enough to encourage me to buy another GTA game. My favourites were Vice City and GTA (the first one).

• ogopogo says:

Good gravy yes, agree 110%, but at least one can instead just play RP servers for online. It is a joy to ride along w/ yer buddies in GTA, and you can have it both ways with SP & RP if you’re willing to forsake the “official” online experience.

Sucks that you have use an aggressive mod manager setup if you want to play both RP and official, though.

• Iskariot says:

I must admit that Rockstar really disappointed me with their lack of follow up for the solo side of the game.
      They led me to believe there would be at least one campaign expansion. Instead we got all this online multiplayer shit.
      I never used it, and a new Rockstar game will only be bought by me if it is in the discount bin.

4. PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

A former colleague of mine served in the royal navy in the 70’s and 80’s.. he told me that when they docked in the US they would have a dump and get the chef to glaze their ‘product’. They’d then go onshore and sell their goods to the yanks, marketed as ‘The Queen’s Shite’. Sold like hot, shit smelling cakes apparently.

5. Neurotic says:

Multiplayer again, bleh. Spend some flippin’ money on an SP expansion, please!

6. racccoon says:

CASH GRAB! shame on rockstar! they really don’t give fthhhk anyway.

7. Ham Solo says:

They’re just milking it dry at this point.

8. SqFKYo says:

I’d buy a $100 ‘expansion’ that would let me ‘freeze’ the game from their constant online-only updates, and allow me to mod my game as much as I like without the worry that the next online expansion breaks it again. Getting some online content for SP wouldn’t be half bad either.

Comment on this story