Frostpunk announces vague flurry of post-release content

Order_05

Frostpunk has quite a fandom here at RPS. Even if the game hadn’t been good, we would still have given it coverage because we enjoy going Full Mr. Freeze with headlines like “Frostpunk ventures out into the cold” and my personal favorite “There’s snow hope in this new Frostpunk trailer” which I’m borderline mad about. Look, I’d never do anything like that in my headlines. Luckily, we don’t have to keep talking about wordplay, because Frostpunk’s tremendous sales out of the gate mean post-release content isn’t stuck in a freeze.

Please don’t go.

There’s a lot to love about Frostpunk. Xalavier Nelson Jr reviewed the game for RPS and I really cannot overstate what an excellent, funny, bleak, good bit of games writing it is. It sold me completely on picking up a copy of the game ASAP while also hitting on some of the more complicated issues the survival world-building sim faces. I can’t remember the last time I read a review twice in a week, so like, highest recommendation here. (Although a real missed opportunity for a This Child In Mines joke. Sorry Xalavier. Sorry everyone.)

We’ve also written previously about how the game is set to be exceptionally mod friendly. Opening up this tundra survival nightmare to the whims of the community sounds like we’re bound for some truly bizarre changes.

The devs put up an announcement on Steam yesterday with some vague information on what happens next. You can read the entire thing here, but the major takeaway is that they want players to know (thanks to great sales numbers) that 11 Bit Studios is getting directly into expansions for the game.

First out of the gate is some bug/crash fixes, obviously, and then getting into endless/sandbox modes. For folks hitting issues with getting the game to load at all, or flaws that are too big to ignore, they’ve released a robust Support Guide. Beyond that, if you’ve got a cool idea you’d like to see in the game, feel free to share it but, you know, understand that this is an indie team working to fully stabilize the game right now — so please don’t be pushy about your neat proposition.

11 Bit Studios also promise to release a less vague roadmap to all of this work in the near future. You can pick up the game on Steam right here. I’m looking forward to seeing how the game expands and continues to hurt my feelings in a super engaging way.

1. JohnnyG says:

I love this game, its excellent and probably the best game I’ve played this year or indeed for the past couple of years. Its run flawlessly for me, even though I’ve read people having issues (although one tends to only hear from people who actually have issues – one of the flaws of the internet eh!!)

Looking forward to the expansions.

• trjp says:

Only hearing about problems isn’t a flaw of the Internet, it’s a quirk of human behaviour meaning that all forms of consumer feedback are inherently biased.

If you buy an X and that X works as expected, you don’t tell anyone. Your car drives OK and your lawnmower mows the lawn – normality has continued, nothing to see here.

If your X doesn’t work, that’s cause for complaint – your car doesn’t drive or your lawn isn’t mowed – cause for complaint.

SOME Xs work over-and-above expectation and that may prompt you to share that BUT not everything can do that. A car won’t self-drive your kids to school (yet) and that lawnmower won’t weed the flowerbeds so you’re not likely to want to regale everyone with these revelations all that often.

Almost no system considers this bias – Goodreads made a valiant try but everyone ignored their system – the only solution is to take it all with a bucket of salt and dive in anyway…

• CheeseFarts says:

It´s like working as a plumber. If you do your Job right, nobody says a word, if you screw it up, everything is full of shit.

• DeadCanDance says:

Best game for me this year too!!!
      The way the screen freezes with every temperature drop chills me to the bone!

2. nitric22 says:

I’m so freezing excited to play this

3. ChiefOfBeef says:

Of all the good games I’ve purchased, this one is definitely the most recent.

4. H. Vetinari says:

because you got paid probably; like with Battletech that got a really bad review but is suddenly turning out great after a few days notice.

RPS: game is crap:
    Dev: let’s make a deal
    RPS: game is actually good.

seems legit.

• DoctorDaddy says:

So, are you basing that on anything? Like, evidence, for example?

• Shazbut says:

They’d better be corrupt because imagine how angry and hurt they’d feel about this accusation if you’re wrong.

• mmandthetat says:

Yeah, since people never change their minds about anything, this is the only explanation.

• trjp says:

I find the idea that you expect a site to only cover ‘good’ games utterly bewildering…

A game which is truly bad/without merit is worth talking about to discuss what went wrong

A game which is flawed is worth talking about because it’s possible it will be improved

A game which is perfect is worth talking about for obvious reasons.

About the only game you’d never talk about is one which exists only to garner controversy??

• gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

Yeah, uh, didn’t the Battletech developers already make changes based on feedback? Hell, the review here wasn’t glowing.

Either way, this stupid GG trope’s old. Move on. Maybe the Escapist is for you, if they’re still open this week.

• modzero says:

That’s because RPS bribed them right back, using the exact same money. Every time someone changes their mind is due to a bribe.

• Crimsoneer says:

Look…this website. It’s not right for you.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Thing is, the change of mind is still useful information for me as a consumer. “You may well like this game, but it might take a full campaign/dozen or more hours before it really clicks for you” is what I’m taking from all this, and it’s the reason I’m keeping my cash in my pocket until the game gets a bit cheaper. In other words, RPS has given me the information I need as a potential buyer of the game. Where’s the problem?

• Beefenstein says:

I think you’re getting paid by another gaming news and reviews website to spread negative comments. Evidence: you are talking bumpoo.

• Klun says:

Its weird to say the least,specially with no mods out so far or without any proper patch to give a proper hint of why the change of heart

other than ohh srry i made a review I didnt saw the potential, but then I understand the story and the setting of the game and now its great go for it

sound a bit too much

5. Phantom_Renegade says:

I rather liked Frostpunk, until I finished the first episode and was hit with the ending clipshow. Man that pissed me off to no extent. Made me feel like the entire game was set up, just so they could hit me with that heavy handed bullshit moral speech about how I’m an evil monster for using the only tools they gave me.

In terms of gameplay, I think it’s bullshit you’re not allowed to rescind/revise laws. Law student rant here. Laws aren’t this monolithic unchanging thing. They change/are revoked all the damn time. Now the final one, sure, let that be set in stone. That’s the point the game tries to make, I get it. But all the other ones? Child labour makes sense at first until you get enough workers. Why not let me set up a school or something later? But no, you’re already locked in. Makes no sense that you can’t reverse that decision.

It only makes sense because the dev is dead set on ‘teaching’ you this moral lesson about how it’s better to let humanity go extinct then do something that, if the situation wasn’t so fucked, would be considered bad. Which would work better if it wasn’t set in the 1880’s. It feels mean-spirited. You’re forced to choose between losing the game and picking the only options to increase hope that they give you. Which they then condemn you for.

Back to gameplay, this game desperately needs some sort of overlay which lets you see which buildings are which. And you should be able to build over streets and otherwise fill up the tiny open spots that the city generates. And maybe a menu screen which shows you which buildings are operating at what efficiency level, and allowing you to turn heaters on and off without finding the specific building that’s not working in a mass of building that basically all look the same. Some normal user friendly stuff.

• poliovaccine says:

I mean, to me it does make some sense why you can’t go back on laws later. The reason is momentum. In the case of laws, it’s in the form of culture. Look at prohibition in the 30s. Look at it now, with pot. Even when the vast majority of the people consider a law irrational, even when it hurts far more people than it ever helped, it often prevails or is slow to be overturned because ideas about it are culturally ingrained and practical facts about it make some people lots of money. You say laws are overturned all the time but I’d ask for examples of what laws and exactly how often. I’m sure as a law student you know more examples than I do, so understand I’m genuinely curious about that statement, since on a gut level it seems flat wrong to me, but I’m willing to be corrected on that… Just, anecdotally, I can’t think of a single law I know of being overturned. Even super emotional and controversial SC rulings like Roe v. Wade (which I don’t mind admitting I support and hope is never overturned) can’t get reversed, in spite of the widespread and well funded vitriol against it, because of precedent and the value of the initial ruling. Like I say though, I am genuinely curious to hear about examples, since it may well just be a thing a layman wouldn’t know about.

That all being said, as far as game mechanics go, I think you probably should be able to at least try to reverse your own laws, even if entrenched interests give you some resistance and potentially stymie your efforts. I guess that’s a whole lot of AI I’m talking about now.

That also said, I wouldn’t know yet myself, but I have heard similar complaints about the one dimensional morality of the game. Makes me wonder if any other complete states are possible?

• Phantom_Renegade says:

What you’re talking about isn’t laws though, it’s legal precedence, it’s a ruling from a judge. Of course in my own country, things are a bit different in that precedence is a lot less important then it is in the UK and the US. Laws get changed all the time, though this happens in the UK/US constantly as well. I suppose they see the laws in Frostpunk as something akin to the constitution? Which is ridiculous since all of these aren’t broad rights/duties but very specific bits of legislation targeting specific groups.

And the scenario takes place over 45 days. I don’t buy culturally ingrained laws when they’ve only been in place for DAYS.

As for examples, in my country there doesn’t exist a law that is the same now as when it was first implemented. Hell, even our constitution is changed every time election time comes around. Mostly cosmetic stuff, but still.

• Phantom_Renegade says:

I’m addenduming here. Firstly, laws being overturned isn’t a big sexy thing, unless you’re actively working with laws, why would you know? I find it hard to believe you don’t know any overturned laws, especially since you already mentioned prohibition. If we’re talking big ticket stuff, there’s slavery, child labour, equality laws. If we’re talking smaller stuff it’s the decriminalization of marijuana.

If we’re talking the stuff that happens constantly it’s safety regulations in workplaces or of certain consumer products. Just google ‘recent law changes’ and you’ll get thousands of hits.

6. FredSaberhagen says:

Icey why it’s selling snow well. Can you get a winterview with the devs?

Mikemcn says:

Does this game have the anxiety of “This War of Mine”. That game was such a miserable experience to play. It had all the oppression of “Papers Please” with no chance to lose yourself in the mechanics, even for a moment! It was an important experience but not one i’d want to go through again, especially in a more fantastical, less real-world setting.

• zgtc says:

It has some of the anxiety, but it’s much more fantastical in terms of setting and the individuals you’re governing aren’t especially distinct.

That helps abstract it enough that it feels less like an emotional punishment like many parts of TWOM.

Comment on this story