This Fallout 4 mod lets you tweak your character’s voice

Though Fallout 4 will let you fiddle with all manner of aspects of your character’s visage, creating your very own post-apocalyptic mumsona or dadatar, the words coming out their mouths always sound the same. That can change with the Player Voice Frequency Slider mod by “CDante”, which adds options to fiddle with the pitch of your character’s avatar and make them sound different. Obviously it’s not as good as having lines recorded with wholly different voices–such as the delightful mockney accent option of Saints Row–but it seems to allow some decent variety in personality. It’s pretty good too; listen to this teenager.

That’s not bad for simple frequency-fuddling! Obviously the voices get sillier as you move to the extremes, up into the realms of The Chipmunks or down to yer da after his traditional Christmas morning pint of sherry. But with moderation, you’ll get to personalise your post-apocalpeople a little more.

The mod comes with four presets–Teenager, Young Adult, Heavy Smoker, and Very Deep–but you can also adjust it yourself in little steps.

Download CDante’s Player Voice Frequency Slider mod from Nexus Mods. It needs the Fallout 4 Script Extender to run, and you might also want to use the Mod Configuration Menu for a simpler and snazzier way to tweak the voice.

God, I do miss that mockney.

Drib says:

The husband in back looks vaguely disapproving of his wife’s emotionless mirror-staring.

2. napoleonic says:

The pitch of the voice is the least of the problems with Fallout 4’s voiced protagonist. It’s just inappropriate for this kind of game to have a voiced protagonist.

My character can be black or white or any other human shade; I can be gay or straight or robosexual; I can be good or bad or even “sarcastic”. I can have almost any backstory before reaching Sanctuary Hills that I devise for myself – perhaps I wasn’t even born in America: even post-apocalypse there are people in the Wasteland with non-American accents.

But no matter who I am or what I do, I will always sound like either Brian T Delaney or Courtney Taylor, with a generic straight white middle-American accent. It’s one of the worst things about Fallout 4, and I hope they go back to voiceless protagonists next time.

• Monggerel says:

Fallout 4 is a crime against nature and an abomination unto god. It should never have been allowed to drive down to Michiganshire.

Edit:
      On an unrelated note, I wanna play a Fallout where you can start as a supermutant. Super-op (a hundred years experience will do that) but hated by default almost everywhere.
      Kinda how the Hanged Man was supposed to work *conjures dark mystic magic lore from a long forgotten neverwhere* in Van Buren.

Alternatively, we can swing baseball bats and call them “Swattahs”. That’s just fine, too. (it’s not)

• Arglebargle says:

Don’t like that Hollywoodish obsession with voiced protagonists either. At least not until they’ve got a voice synthesis program that you can dial (or sample) in something that fits for you.

• dangermouse76 says:

Also tonally the responses from your character to NPC’s is waaaaaay out sometimes.

It’s a mess actually, I enjoy the voiced parts more for how tone deaf they are to the situation unfolding around them than anything else.

Although Nik is pretty well done most of the time.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Apparently there are folks out there who patiently watch the wooden cutscenes and the delivery of the dialogue.
      In games like F4 I tend to skip the dialogue only parsing for keywords or trying to get “the plot twist” when it comes.
      It’s not like anything could be missed here.
      Back in Baldur’s Gate when there was only “attack1”, “heal me” and so on -dialogue I could record a sample of my own voice and just pop the .wavs in the right directory.

phuzz says:

I took me a long time to realise that you can skip some dialogue by clicking the mouse.
        You can only skip when you’re in a conversation though, if you accidentally click when a character is just saying something*, then you might end up shooting them. It’s a bit of a mess really.

* which might be the exact same thing they will repeat when you start a conversation with them

3. Railway Rifle says:

“mumsona or dadatar”. I love that.

Comment on this story