Meet Matthew Castle, our new video person

matthew_horace

A couple of years ago, RPS dipped its toes into YouTube. We asked some of our friends to produce short series for us, and the results were good. It made us realise that what we do could work in video, but also that we’d need a full-time team to do it properly.

Now we’ve hired the first part of that team. Please welcome Matthew Castle to Castle Shotgun.

Matthew joins us after being in charge of Xbox’s official YouTube channel, Xbox On. Prior to that some of you might remember his stellar work as editor of Official Xbox Magazine, Official Nintendo Magazine and the wonderful, beloved NGamer. He’s funny, smart and the perfect person to lead RPS into the era of the moving image as a producer, presenter and writer.

You’ll start to see Matthew’s videos pop up in the coming days and weeks – the first is already up! – but these are just the start. We’re researching camera equipment, locating studio space, and hiring two more video people to round out the team (announcements on which should follow soon). We’re going to do this right.

We’ll have more information about our aims and dreams for RPS and video in the weeks ahead. For now, rest assured that our video output is being added on top of what RPS already does and will always do. We’re still going to be producing as many words and non-moving images as before.

Also, yes, Matthew and Katharine are the Posh and Becks of game journalism.

You can say hi to Matthew in the comments below, and remember to smash those like and subscribe buttons.

1. Zorgulon says:

Welcome! I look forward to seeing some excellent RPS video content in the near future!

2. melancholicthug says:

Please have Alice narrate something in some video. Anything. She has an amazing voice.

3. dangermouse76 says:

Yes visuals !

Don’t listen to the I only like words, your stealing word content from me crowd.

I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with, there’s room for all in castle Shotgun. Welcome aboard.

• Someoldguy says:

Shouldn’t this have been posted as a link to a clip?

I love visuals and podcasts… as long as they come with a transcript I can scan through in 5 minutes rather than eating an hour of my life to listen to in real time. I don’t have that many of them left and there are so many good games I could be playing instead!

4. uppi17 says:

How much of the interview was taken up by saying: “90% for Red Steel? Why? No really, why?”

5. Sin Vega says:

Welcome! You don’t look that posh.

Please kidnap Marsh Davies immediately.

Now all we need is two Bishops and a Knight and we’re in business.

• gwop_the_derailer says:

Wait, can we make a wishlist of people we want kidnapped? Maybe Matt Lees so that we can force him into finishing XCOM 2?

kfix says:

Marsh did just announce he’s finishing at Mojang…. surely not? I won’t get my hopes up, but that would be lovely!

• MiniMatt says:

Two Bishops, a Knight, a GiggleOctopus, and a Warr Pip and we have ourselves an army.

But that’s for another day, today we welcome another Matt(hew). Best name, best videos. That’s how it works, I don’t make the rules.

6. DanMan says:

Not that many big PC-only channels on YT, so I appreciate the effort. We’ll see how you’ll do.

7. DeepFried says:

I’ll never understand why RPS doesn’t embed video reviews on the site here.

8. FurryLippedSquid says:

He looks terrified, and rightly so!

9. Avioto says:

Welcome! I would love to see more episodes of Fail Forward if that’s possible. I loved that series and it’s my favorite RPS thing.

10. gwop_the_derailer says:

Matthew, Castle Shotgun welcomes you.

Bluerps says:

Hello Mr Castle!

12. Cederic says:

The success of streamers and other Youtube personalities amply demonstrates the market for computer gaming related video. I’m sure the RPS brand will benefit from this move.

However please don’t forget those of us that find it tedious and would rather continue to enjoy well crafted writing.

• Someoldguy says:

If I regularly had time for streaming I’d be watching Critical Role. Despite wanting to find the time for it, I have only watched about 3 shows and only have about 150 left to go – except they’re producing more faster than I can watch them.

13. cpt_freakout says:

Praise Horace!

14. nitric22 says:

Awesome. Moving screenshots of my favorite games?!?! WHOA, I’m so excited about the potential of the internet for immersion and all that when it comes to games coverage. Good Job RPS. Welcome Matthew.

kfix says:

Welcome Matthew!

16. Seyda Neen says:

Huzzah! Welcome Matthew and RPS videos!

17. Viral Frog says:

Just please keep actually writing articles. I don’t come here to watch videos. :/

• Viral Frog says:

No edits. :( Forgot to say welcome, Matthew! I’m sure your content will be great. I’m just being resistant to change.

particlese says:

Welcome, Matthew!

Not sure what sorts of plans are in the works at this stage, but if you all decide to post videos in the RPS article feed (to collect friendly comments, if nothing else), could you consider including transcripts with posts where that makes sense? I’m thinking interviews and video-WITs here, as opposed to wandering or other flavor-centric pieces.

One or more of the Eurogamer folks started including transcripts after some requests from the peanut gallery, and it seems to be appreciated by some (including myself), but the writer also mentioned at the start that it’s a lot of additional effort. Might be worth chatting with them to see if it might be worth it for RPS – particularly with its written-/typed-word craving audience.

Or simply post ’em to Youtube et al, and I’ll consider pummelling a button into subscription at some point. :)

19. caff says:

Why the clog Matthew? WHY?

No but in all seriousness, welcome. I’m already subbed to the RPS YT channel (why can’t the podcasts be posted there too? Not just Soundcloud. Job #53 for you).

• Crusoe says:

This. The RPS podcasts really really should be posted to youtube also. Thanks in advance.

And welcome. Fear not the length of Horace, for his wisdom and kindness is equal to his size.

20. Sleepery says:

Step one – kidnap Pip back, shove her in front of a camera and make her say things. If they’re game related, all the better.

• Sin Vega says:

“Can’t we have one plan that doesn’t involve kidnapping?”

• Sarfrin says:

Bribe Pip to come back with large amounts of money?

• caff says:

It doesn’t have to involve money. We could use dolphins. But then I suspect the dolphins need care and maintenance, so yeah, kidnapping dolphins then money.

• unacom says:

Uhm, wait till all videogame websites have finally been acquired by one large nebulous private-equity firm, so that heads can be swapped freely to the dictate of consumer habits?
        Don´t know. I do like the idea of “pipnapping” a tad better. Even though I don´t like the implications.

On a completely unrelated matter: Welcome Matthew!
        I look forward to you adding some towers of your own to Castle Shotgun.

• bill says:

It’s unlikely to be game related for long anyway….

You don’t even need a camera, just a microphone:

21. dahools says:

Hi matthew,
    Welcome to castle shotgun. watched your video linked above and as fine as your commentary was, I was non the wiser as to what platform that state of decay game was being played on. If it was tuned for performance over quality or vice versa. It had an awful lot of pop in and permanent use of controller even during the menu’s with no cursor in sight left me wondering further.

I look forward to seeing and reading more of your work but as Horace’s teachings you will soon learn, embrace the mouse it is the second most powerful weapon in the fight against all things that don’t point in this world. (the first being a gentleman’s pipe of course)

22. svge says:

Watched the video. It’s amusing how similar the cadence of Matthew and Katharine’s speech is, also they both say lots of “you know”‘s and “kind of”‘s. Not a criticism just an observation.

23. mac4 says:

Hey there, new video person.

Like and subscribe? Who me no never.

24. comic knight says:

Please make videos of “wot I think…”. I would love to be able to listen to the reviews while I’m driving.

25. Mi-24 says:

Welcome Matthew, may your pictures be always moving

26. jermermern says:

I look forward to the full heft of Gamer Network’s video production capabilities being brought to bear in realising the SPACE ARK in glorious high definition! I want to see every crystal of sugar on those fizzy cola bottles!

Drib says:

I’m seconding or thirding or whatever the request for transcripts if RPS is going to be putting video content on their site. I mostly ready RPS at work because I am a terrible person, and videos are blocked there.

So while I get that youtubers make money and get clicks or whatever, I’m apprehensive that half the front page will end up being meaningless noise posts for folks in my situation.

Transcripts would help the latter I guess.

particlese says:

Also helps out the folks preferring to absorb words at their own pace – e.g. slowly, skimmingly, or with the paragraphs in reverse order because the shiniest words lounge at the back of the magazine.

Big Dunc says:

Welcome to RPS Matthew! Looking forward to seeing your audio visual contribution to this magnificent site. Also, I’m loving the “rabbit in the headlights” look you’ve adopted in the above pic.

phuzz says:

Castle Shotgun. Now with 50% more Castle!

Lo says:

Yes yes yes the hype is on!!! Welcome, most well-hewn of Matts! :D

31. Gomer_Pyle says:

Welcome Matthew! I’m sure you’ll be happy here, just watch out for Brendan.

32. Chillicothe says:

MATT CASTLE: HERO FOR HIRE

33. MrEvilGuy says:

Wish they would have hired another writer instead. As others have stated, I come here to read. Youtube is already saturated with videos about videogames.

Like, we lose Adam Smith and this is his replacement?

Graham Smith says:

No, Matthew is not Adam’s replacement. Video is an additive thing we’re doing on top of all the writing we already do, and Adam’s replacement will be hired in due course.

34. celticdr says:

Welcome to the team Matt, I look forward to many videos on PC games, maybe a future RPS/EG/OXBOX wacky capers crossover (I know, give it time). Ideally it’ll be like when the Harlem Globetrotters visited every Hanna-Barbera cartoon they could – that sort of chicanery.

Already liked/subscribed to RPS on YouTube (didn’t realise this – that is how busy the channel has been thus far). Liked your State of Decay 2 video, there’s something about British people (and Irish too Aoife!) playing video games that I find relaxing… Americans always sound too excited whenever they do Let’s Plays, it’s unnerving.

Good luck at Castle Shotgun, I look forward to more videos on a regular basis!

• April March says:

I’m already writing a fanfic in which the OXBOX crew meets up with Scooby-Doo and his friends to find out the truth about the ghost hauting Castle Shotgun.

35. killkenny1 says: