Star Trek Episode 1: Racer rereleased on PC

Though Star Trek fans generally grumble about its prequel series, Enterprise, many will begrudgingly concede that its pod-racing at least spawned a fun video game. That game, Star Trek Episode I: Racer, reappeared yesterday after years lost in the digital Delta Quadrant, added to GOG’s catalogue. The digital store are also now holding a big Star Trek sale to celebrate May the 1st as a gesture of solidarity with the hundreds of thousands of workers killed by royalists in the destruction of the Death Star.

You can grab Racer now from GOG for £6.09, which includes a launch discount. I haven’t played it myself but, as I say, I’ve heard Trekkies hold it up as the one good thing that came out of Enterprise. Perhaps you are one such person and could tell us more?

GOG say this is an exclusive, though historically their vintage exclusives tend to end up on Steam a little later too.

The wider May Day Star Trek sale will run until May 8th. It includes a variety of Jedi Knights, X-Wings and TIE-Fighters, along with ye olde Battlefont II and… they’re Star Trek games, y’know? Doing those Star Trek things. Ol’ Yellow Eyes Meer has a list of his favourites, if you need inspiration.

1. Phantom_Renegade says:

Alice… you can do better then the old ‘mistaking Star Trek for Star Wars’ gag. I know you can. You’re often hilarious.

2. N'Al says:

“the one good thing that came out of Enterprise.“

• Vandelay says:

In retrospect, we didn’t know how good us Trekkies had it with Ep1 Enterprise. The phaser fight between Porthos and Admiral Palpatine was really the end of any credibility the franchise had.

3. Kefren says:

Alice, please always be the one who writes about Trek Wars. I laughed when I read the opening, even though I knew what to expect. May the Borg be with you.

• Kefren says:

In the immortal words of Captain Kirk Skywalker, as revamped in the series reboot: “Mesa so horny then brisky morning munchy leia Spocky in engine room, then BOOM! was a gettin very scared cosa midicloridians in big Ewok doo-doo dis time!” I think we can all appreciate those sentiments, and despite the loss of Adam, we still have you as the expert in all things space.

4. causticnl says:

Alice, you’re awesome. Also Kirk was the best podracer.

subdog says:

Star Wars is just Star Trek with guns.

6. rm says:

A firefly screenshot would’ve completed the trolling

7. assaultpenguin says:

Set phasers to cheeky.

8. davebo says:

Can confirm this was the best thing to come from Episode 1. Still have my game disc. I wouldn’t mind a complete texture redo of this game if they ever felt like it.

• jj2112 says:

Starfighter was good too. And Republic Commando, although they didn’t feature in Episode 1.

Earl-Grey says:

Ooooh Republic Commando was sooo good.
        At least when I played it on the Xbox.

I’ve dipped my toes back in on the PC version and it holds up okay.
        Some neat ideas, the pew-pew feels a little weak but the droids fall apart nicely.

9. Zorgulon says:

Actually, this article was the best thing to come from Enterprise.

10. R. Totale says:

No Infinity Trek spoilers pls

11. Det. Bullock says:

I remember the demo being fun for a racing game (never liked that genre too much) for now I have all my personal must-haves of the franchise in my digital and physical libraries, though probably I’ll get the two KOTORS and the remaining Jedi Knight games on GOG sooner or later just to have digital copies handy.
    Still, basically all the titles on sale are at the very least *good* for what I know and some like Tie Fighter are immortal masterpieces that transcend their licensed game status.
    Of course that most of the best titles happen to be older says volumes about the way Lucasarts went downhill since the prequels came out.

Hell, I think the people that complain about space trading games being boring should probably try Tie Fighter if only to try a spacesim where there is no trading and free roaming but also no grinding and no metagame bullshit, just you, your ship and plenty of traitors and rebel scum to blast out of space.

12. Turkey says:

Now that’s what I call highly illogical, captain.

13. Viral Frog says:

Alice, I’m confused. This is obviously Battlestar Galactica.

14. talzola says:

Alice…WOW…you silly silly girl. You mistook a Stars Wars Trek game for what is obviously set in the Stargate Universe!

15. int says:

I like Mel Gibson’s parody, Star Balls.

16. Dushanan says:

oh I get it, they both have Star in the name!

So has anyone tried this rerelease yet? the page on gog says it has controller support, and it has good reviews, but I’m just curious if I’m gonna have to spend an hour messing with it so I can play it with a controller

17. Partialist says:

This running gag is just tedious and lazy (as it has been for a very, very long time). Can’t we go back to some semblance of the actual wit that the writing on RPS used to have?

18. TheSplund says:

Starship Trooper jokes aside, I was only talking about POD Racer yesterday and I had tried getting it running last year (might even have tried a PS1(?) emulator version as well) so I’m well happy.

19. iainl says:

If I assumed all the people whining about the humour here (I mean, have you forgotten the Weapon of Pun Destruction that was Kieron?) are the same onw who whine that Brendan Greene’s Money Machine isn’t treated with the kind of branding reverence I reserve for LEGO and LEGO alone, I’d not be far off, would I?

• mac4 says:

Oi, bartender, the music sucks, the food stinks, I don’t like your face, and what you have running on the telly there ain’t no good, either.

Now where’s my drink and a smile already, and pronto.

20. Grim Rainbow says:

Oh my. I thought I’d wiped this game from my memory. It isn’t a bad game it is just so haaarrrddd. I loved that you could play the other pods and not just Anakin’s though. I wanna see a play through or one of those charity play throughs where someone completes this on a keyboard. I think it would be just behind completing Battle Toads with a Rock Star Guitar.

Comment on this story