Super Mega Baseball 2 is out & swinging for the fences

Super Mega Baseball 2

Baseball is one of those sports that I can fundamentally appreciate facets of, but could never quite get my head around the whole of it. Our boy Sam Horti was of the same mind when he took a look at Metalhead Software’s Super Mega Baseball last year, finding it to be just pure enough of an experience to click. This week, its sequel stepped up to bat, and so far looks like a home run, improving on the original in most regards.

Fans of the first game will immediately spot that Super Mega Baseball 2 is somewhat more visually restrained than its predecessor. While the characters are still somewhat stylized and cartoonish, they’re not the weird lumpen creatures that they once were, with body shapes somewhere within the realm of possibility this time. The underlying physics engine has also been tuned up to match, making for a slightly more straight-laced game, but still well within the realm of accessibility for casual ball-basers.

So far, reviews look very positive, most praising the game for being a remarkably authentic and deep baseball simulation at its core, while not losing sight of that snappy, videogame-ish feel. Major complaints are thin on the ground, although some players do seem to be grumbling a bit about how tricky it can be to find your ideal point on the (remarkably granular) difficulty scale. Personally, that sounds like a good problem to have (as opposed to just being locked to easy/medium/hard), but in a game that prides itself on its snappy, accessible nature, I can see how that could be a problem.

Would-be ball-batterers can grab Super Mega Baseball 2 via Steam now for £23.79/28€/$30. There are also already a trio of small cosmetic DLC packs for those who want very specific logos and colours for their little cartoon baseball people.

1. Thomas Foolery says:

I loved the granular difficulty in the first Super Mega Baseball. It let you choose any integer between 1 and 100. Any time I’d find that the game was getting too easy, I’d increase the difficulty by 5 (I think I got up to 80 or 85 by the time I stopped playing). It was a great way to keep the game challenging without having to deal with the huge difficulty spikes you get with the difficulty settings in many sports games.

2. Paul says:

I loved the first game and I’m not a really sports guy. (I don’t follow any real-life sportsball games.) I bought SMB2 the morning of release and it’s even better. They’ve kept the good bits and further tweaked everything else to make the whole thing really sharp. The proportions are far less over-the-top cartoony and that really changes the character of the game quite a bit.

3. otakucore says:

How moddable is it? I read somewhere you can customize your own league, but it didn’t say how.

I’d like to make a “League of Their Own” mod, with all-female players.

• LeslieSmooth says:

“I’d like to make a “League of Their Own” mod, with all-female players.”
      You can definitely do this.
      link to youtube.com

It’s not moddable by modders (like minecraft is for example), but it has more customization options than any sports game I’ve ever seen.

Leagues, seasons, teams, logos, uniforms, players (name, stats, look, sex, batting routine and even walk-up song) are all FULLY customization.

4. ErraticGamer says:

I’ve been playing the XBox One version of this that is a Games With Gold free title this month, and it’s superb. I liked the first game a lot, and it seems to be nothing but improvements as far as I can tell.

I’m not sure I’ll double-dip to also get it on Steam… but seeing as I paid nothing for the XBO version, I’m not sure I won’t.

• JiminyJickers says:

Nice, thanks for the heads up. Haven’t fired up the Xbox in a few weeks and nearly bought it on PC. Nice to get it as part of the membership, a bit poor at the moment, haha.