Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds is going to War (mode, again)

Warmplunkbatheader

I was just about to tell you how I’m looking forward to War mode, the (sorta) new event for Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds. Then I got caught off guard by just how edgy and ridiculous it sounds to get excited about something with a double-barrelled reference to conflict in its name. It’s a travesty that there’s nothing else we could call it.

Warm Plunkbat is the imminent and temporary return of the team deathmatch mode from last month, which breaks from PUBG’s traditional ‘once you’re gone you’re gone’ structure and lets you respawn. This time round though, it’s played with ten teams of five and everyone starts with top-tier loot. I wasn’t around for the last one, so I’m intrigued to see how Plunkbat plays when most of the tension of dying gets cut away. It kicks off at 3am, so if anyone’s mega keen you’ll only need to stay up for a few more hours.

When I say top-tier loot, I’m mean the tippiest of tops. You’ll start with a random weapon from a care package (an AWM, M24, Mk14, M249, Groza, or AUG), along with a level three vest, a level three helmet and two grenades.

What else is different? The playzone has been embiggened a bit, though it’ll still remain a consistent size and stay in one place throughout each match. Victory still goes to the team that first reaches 200 points (or the highest scoring after 15 minutes), and you earn 1 point for knocking someone down and 3 points for killing them. You no longer earn a point for a revive though, which seems a shame as I’d have thought that would encourage people to work together more, plus it lets people who aren’t so hot at shooting still feel useful.

That said, I’m happy for PUBG Corp to keep experimenting with this stuff. Same goes for the broader weapon overhaul, part of Update 12 that landed last night.

This is actually my first chance to jump into an event since PUBG Corp started putting on these sideshows. Which has been the best so far, Plunkers?

War Mode: Desert Knights will start at 3am on Friday in the UK, which is actually 7pm today in the Pacific time zone. It’ll run for 48 hours, ending at 3am on Monday in the UK/7pm Sunday for Pacific zoners.

1. IonTichy says:

You know what I’m looking forward to? Them not pushing buggy versions to live when people already complain about bugs on the test server i.e. stutter + no-sound bug.

2. Retne says:

Oh, funky. I agree the lack of revive point seems a pity. If have liked to encourage that, even (points for lot sharing, putting spots on maps, even, I dunno).

At the risk of being all mathsey (see CCG story), isn’t Friday ’til Monday 72 hours?

3. pblogic says:

Two points:

1. Plunkbat still sounds lame af.

2. Decrying the use of the word “war” as somehow deplorable while happily playing a game glorifying murder must be generating some serious cognitive dissonance.

• Prime-Mover says:

Since no one is actually dead, it’s more like glorifying simulated temporary competitive killing. Not murder. If it is the sensation of actually murdering people you take away from the game, that’s probably something you want to take a serious look at.

• gunny1993 says:

Yeah, no, it’s because playerUnkowns Battlegrounds War mode sounds like it was drempt up by a group of 12 year olds who just watched their dad’s version of full metal jacket.

• MasterPrudent says:

The appeal of Plunkbat is not that it sounds cool. It’s that it sounds like a dumb lark with friends.

• cpt_freakout says:

pbnologic amirite

phuzz says:

Butbutbutbut, what is it good for?

5. Plunkbat Oranges says:

‘Plunkbat: Bats of War’ mode where every player is armed with only a plunkbat and explosive plunkballs which detonate three seconds after you plunk them towards an enemy.

6. Rindan says:

If they really wanted to work on anything, it would be their awful, glidey movement. I had taken a break from PUBG for a while and been playing other games. When I came back to play duo with a friend, I was rudely reminded how shitty the movement in that game is. I’m mildly amazed I even played the game before vaulting was (shittily) implement.

Comment on this story