Free trial weekends for XCOM 2, Offworld Trading Company, CoD WW2 & For Honor

Whatever your weapon of choice–plasma rifle, axe, M1 Garand, or raw capitalism, baby!–you may well be able to dabble in your favoured violence this weekend for free. The full versions of XCOM 2, For Honor, Call Of Duty: WWII‘s competitive multiplayer (okay, so not really the full version), and Offworld Trading Company are all available in free trial weekends for the next few days – mostly through Steam.

Let’s go. XCOM 2 is Firaxis’s turn-based tact-o-strategy game about Earthlings fighting back against spacemen who’ve conquered the planet. It really came alive with the War Of The Chosen expansion, which isn’t included in the trial weekend, but I certainly had fun with the base game. Gave those lizardmen from the Moon a right kicking.

Play XCOM 2 through Steam. It’s on sale there this weekend too, down to £11.54/€16.49/$19.79 thanks to a 67% discount. War Of The Chosen has a 25% discount as well.

For Honor is Ubisoft’s knights vs. vikings vs. samurai melee murderfest which is, like, yeah, it’s okay? But you can stab men in multiplayer and a singleplayer campaign, and maybe you fancy some stabbing.

Play For Honor on Steam or through Ubisoft’s Uplay client. It’s on sale too.

Call Of Duty: WWII is modern Call Of Duty, now back in WW2. Play on Steam, where it has a 35% discount now too. This trial is only the main multiplayer side, not the campaign or the cooperative Zombies mode.

And Offworld Trading Company is the curious financial real-time strategy game where your weapon is unbridled spacecapitalism. Our dearly departed Adam declared it one of the best strategy games, and he knew a thing or two about strategising, god rest his soul. It has a singleplayer campaign as well as multiplayer.

Play Offworld Trading on Steam, where it’s also half-price right now.

All of these Steam trial weekends end at 9pm on Sunday (1pm Pacific), then the discounts continue until 6pm on Monday (10am Pacific).

1. Cederic says:

That’s the second ‘free weekend’ for XCOM2. I guess I could finish the campaign I started in the first one.

I wont though. If I’d enjoyed it enough to want to do that I’d have bought it anyway. Which means it’ll be intriguing to find out if the second free weekend brings them the success that the first must have.

2. Henke says:

BoxVR is also having a free weekend in the Oculus Store! Like a lot of folks in VR-land, my note-fightin rhythm game of the week is BEAT SABER, but I’ll try to make some time for BoxVR as well.

Drib says:

XCOM2. I really must resist installing it again, even though I actually own it and gain nothing from the free weekend.

It’s the kind of game I install now and then, play the first few missions, and get incredibly frustrated with the RNG-ness of it all before uninstalling it again.

• Xocrates says:

The RNG-ness of it all becomes less and less relevant the more you understand the game, and learn how to stack the odds in your favour and when to use your abilities and guaranteed damage (hint: grenades are you friend).

XCOM 2 does have a fairly long a punishing learning curve though, so guides can be useful if you’re feel like you’re missing something.

4. nitric22 says:

All games that I want to want but don’t really, ya know, want. If a free weekend doesn’t have you hitting the download button then it’s probably best to steer clear. Not to mention I work and have tons of obligations on weekends. I’d love it if games did some sort of 48 hour pass over an entire week, that way I could try them out over my “weekend” which kicks off on Wednesdays.

5. Rainshine says:

For the most part (ignoring things like the Vinland post above this), this seems to be the way that companies drum up business now, rather than demos. I’m…. a bit on the fence on the whole thing. Most players I know, myself included, have stories about cool demos we’ve played in the past. Some (like a Battlefield 1942 demo) have seen hundreds of hours of play. You can’t do that with free weekends. And the whole download time thing…
    On the other hand, I’ve tried both Middle Earth and Overwatch this way and learned that neither is worth my time or money, so that was nice.

phuzz says:

The demo that got the most play from me was the original version of GTA, which basically gave you (IIRC) 10 minutes, during which we’d try and do as much crazy stuff as possible before having to reset the PS and hand the controller to one of my brothers.

6. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

I look forward when I have a better internet access come this summer as it’s not just worthy to download a big game for several hours only to play it for a couple of hours…

7. Evan_ says:

For Honor got me. I was waiting for some hard, visceral melee game for a while now. I was also waiting for For Honor to drop to 10 eur. Having great fun!

Comment on this story