They Are Billions adds The Six Wonders

Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 7.13.45 PM

Set amidst a 22nd century rabies-like outbreak of Zed-ism, They Are Billions is a game about keeping your steampunk settlement alive while raiding zombie towns… and dealing with the repercussions. You manage everything from gold to oil as you handle a Left 4 Starcraft situation wherein zombies keep trying to pick off the citizens — first in smaller numbers and then in screen-collapsing hordes. The game, which is still in Early Access, has just unveiled The Six Wonders: a set of end-game level structures that, if you can acquire the resources necessary to create, will greatly tip the odds in your favor.

I’m stoked because I just picked up They Are Billions last weekend. I wrote about Project Zomboid’s Forever Early Access Status and the community told me They Are Billions was a comparable title worth my time. Look: I listened to you, and I am already rewarded. I just want to take a moment to appreciate our relationship love language. Kudos, RPS World.

The Six Wonders are incredibly expensive to research and build, so most colonies in-game will be capable of creating only one Wonder. As the game builds towards a gigantic Campaign mode, which will include reconquest over a huge territory, the choices made in building a Wonder will become one of the most important in your long-term game strategy. From an update that really digs into the specifics of The Six Wonders, you can read about the highly detailed score system effects that these structures will have. The six structures each deliver an overwhelming boost to one of the different economies, which should help you decide when and where you direct your forces as your take back to world of living from the world of the undead.

If you’re unsure whether to pit yourself against the zombie hordes, you might want to check out our Premature Evaluation. Defending your base is “a Sisphyian task”, says Fraser Brown, but one that he enjoyed.

Check out the trailer for The Six Wonders here:

1. Hoot says:

Man, I’ve been on the fence about getting this game for what feels like forever. I watch it and I love the concept but I also am exceptionally wary of dropping cash on something I’ll play for 6 hours then drop. Not when I have any amount of games in the backlog that I could do that with.

What do you guys think? Worth it or wait for a sale?

• Mr. Unpleasant says:

Did you enjoy the Settlers and Anno series? Old school RTS like C&C and Starcraft? With a dash of Tower Defense? Worth it.
      (though I can’t guarantee for those 6 hours. I drop most games before that…’tis a curse)

• Sidion says:

I enjoyed it for the 23ish hours I played it, but I don’t see a reason to go back.

The game really forces you to build based on map seed (IE this spot has to be for housing, this spot must be a wall, this spot for resource gathering).

While this isn’t bad by itself (Cause in theory it means we’d be doing different things every game), in TAB the order of operations is identical every game.

This means you’re not trying to build a new army composition to see if it works better, or building delightfully elaborate structures while carving out more of the map for yourself.

The game just doesn’t have the unit, building, or map variety it needs to be as amazing as this type of title has the potential to be.

For reference I loved the C&C, AOE, and other RTS series to death.

Hope that helps.

• Korakys says:

If you like turtling in RTS games this is a must-buy, otherwise wait until the game is finished so you can play a campaign.

• bedsidetrash says:

I found the game very addicting. More fun than starcraft 2 campaign. Its not really about turtling since you must expand to get resources and you have to take out infested villages to win on the harder levels.

Never really liked single player on any RTS before this game. usually too easy and purely about massing resources,

2. Roritharr says:

I must be really dense, but the game is insanely hard to me. I play it at the “accessible” level and manage to get far enough to have stone walls, but pretty much everytime there comes one wave where I make one simple mistake of expecting where it comes from or who to place on what tower and i’m overrun and can restart the whole game from zero. Really frustrating, but otherwise the game is lots of fun. If only I had normal save options.

• Korakys says:

Losing really sucks in this game as it is almost impossible to recover from a breach in your walls. I recommend looking up some tutorials or play-throughs on YouTube to help get to grips with this game. And remember: always be pausing.

• 1Derby says:

You’re not dense. The game is just plain hard.
      I have been playing off and on since late last year and have exactly three wins on accessible difficulty.

I have been successfully playing RTS games for longer than I care to admit. This is the least forgiving in my embarrassingly lengthy gaming career. Having said that, I keep coming back.

An auto-save AFTER surviving a wave would go a long way towards lowering frustration meters. Just my $.02.

Best advice I can give is to keep growing your economy and spam walls. You should have at least 1100 colonists by the time the final wave hits. -Probably more.

• mejobloggs says:

It’s hard!

But it’s meant to be. Beating your previous survival length is an accomplishment in itself, even if you never make it to the end.

Comment on this story