What are we all playing this weekend?

Hullo there! Happy May Day Bank Holiday Weekend, gang. Or to translate that into International English: we won’t be here on Monday cos it’s a holiday. I always remember this as a day to visit the seaside, splashing about and eating half a pint of vinegar-soaked cockles. Perhaps your plans are more glamorous, or involve more video games.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on!

Alec: In my newly self-appointed role of ‘Senior Editor Of Going On To Spend A Ridiculous Amount Of Time Playing Games RPS Was Initially Somewhat Underwhelmed By’, my indoor time will be split between BattleTech and Frostpunk, two games that I ultimately love in spite of great flaws. I also expect to spend a lot of time staring at this Necromunda set I just bought and wondering when the hell I’ll get a chance to assemble and paint two-dozen 90s-styled cyberpunks.
Alice: If the weather’s any good, oh baby I am on that beach. I spent the other weekend on the warm rocks atop a sea stack, listening to the waves crashing against the base, and I want that to be my life. Of course I shall also be playing Isaac. The new secret character is a lovely little skeleton haunted by its own ghost, switching between melee and ranged forms with lots of fun little movement tricks to exploit and a good whack of damage – well worth the hour of repeating an irritating secret challenge to unlock it.
Brendan: Over the weekend I will play all of the following games to completion: Frostpunk, BattleTech, Ni No Kuni II, God of War, The Swords of Ditto, and Thrones of Britannia. I will not lie on my floor staring at the ceiling in an unshakeable attack of over-stimulated paralysis, and if you think I will, you’re wrong.
Graham: Graham has been fired.
John: John has also been fired.
Katharine: Family commitments up in The Big Smoke means I’ll be swapping Frostpunk for Fe on my Switch this bank holiday weekend. I’m sort of enjoying it, but I do wish Fe’s little fox dude was as nice to handle as lovely Madeline from Celeste, which I also completed this week. Still, it will be a nice change from watching everyone freeze to death in Frostpunk. Let’s just hope they don’t find out I’ve visited real life London, where everything definitely isn’t a freezing cesspit of grumbling malcontents. Oh wait…
Matt: Beat Saber is every bit as brill as I’d hoped it would be, so I’ll be playing a fair chunk of that.

I’ve also re-downloaded Battlefield 1, because a) I’ve got a new PC and I thought the explosions would probably look good now, and b) some of the DLC is free at the moment. I’ll probably dip into some Warm(ode) Plunkbat, too.

Matthew: I’m going to watch a play about a child murderer, so I’ll probably cheer myself up afterwards with some Frostpunk. Or should that be the other way round?

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Faxanadu says:

Skyrim VR which I have modded for, uhh, enchanced immersion… I mean it’s only natural some females would differ… In size… So… Realism… Uh. Mm.

particlese says:

I will be playing Matlab, Elite: Dangerous VR, and Chocolate Doom this weekend – the latter with keyboard-only input, gloriously chunky 320×200 4:3 graphics, and PC speaker audio with the music off for maximum nostalgia. Won’t have the stale cigarette smell of my dad’s office or the huge joystick of my friend’s Gateway 2000, but judging by a quick test last night, it’ll be great anyway. Game preservation is a wonderful thing.

• fish99 says:

I do hope you’re using a 14″ (13″ visible) CRT screen and running on DOS :p

Seriously though, I’ve always meant to play Doom 1/2 again just on the keyboard. Mouse aim makes the games significantly easier.

particlese says:

Hah! Good ol’ 13″ visible. Sadly no CRT, but I did run it from a Linux command line, if that’s worth anything.

I didn’t realize Doom originally did have horizontal mouse control, but that’s not how I grew up playing it and yeah, it does make it significantly easier, taking away a lot of the tension, I feel. I’m deviating from pure nostalgia, though, in that I’m using the strafe keys and almost never any cheat codes. The default KB layout’s really weird, too – right hand on the arrow keys is fine, but I’ve ended up using the left pointer & middle fingers for ctrl & shift, ring & pinky tip for strafing, and the second-from-the-end bone in my left pinky finger for the space bar “use” key. The thumb gets to just hang out on the desk for once.

• anevilyak says:

I think this is the first time I’ve heard someone refer to Matlab as a game.

particlese says:

It’s one of those cross-genre oddities, and I’m at the part where it’s somewhere between a simulation and a programming puzzler. Graphics are nice by default, but tweaking the config really makes them shine.

3. LennyLeonardUK says:

For me it is definitely going to be some more Frostpunk. Easily my game of 2018 so far. Also I intend to start a new Grand Campaign on Total Warhammer, and I may take my first dip into the world of Ni No Kuni 2 if I can find the time.

Other than that I will be cheering on Liverpool against Chelsea on Sunday afternoon and generally lazing about. Perfect May Bank Holiday shenanigans in other words.

Have a good weekend one and all.

4. kiank37 says:

On this fine AP testing weekend, I must learn how to analyze Literature, Speak Spanish, and learn 250 pieces of artwork. But that won’t stop me from playing video games. I was invited to a game night hosted by my friend group and we will be playing different games such as Phase 10 the card game or possibly The Evil Within. On my own I will be playing more Rialto in Overwatch and I’ll be finishing the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered campaign. Oh, and of course some some Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle to raise my stress levels and some Stardew Valley to relieve my stress levels.

5. Faldrath says:

I’ll be mostly checking out Path of Exile’s Flashback event, which should be generous and crazy enough to offset my burnout, I hope.

In the station-wot-plays-games, I’ll carry on with my Bloodborne arcane run and also some Persona 5. “Persona” must be the Japanese word for “batshit insane”.

6. mac4 says:

Eador. Has there ever been aught but Eador? Will there ever be? I do not now recall.

7. bacon seeker says:

Battletech. It’s not perfect—I would rather have the option to pick a side or even overthrow these nobles instead of being the chosen one, and I don’t like being consistently outnumbered due to instant “reinforcements”. But the tactical battles are quite fun now that I used the speed fixes, and tactical RPGs are one of my favorite genres so it’s nice to have a fresh one.

8. celticdr says:

BattleTech, BattleTech, and yes: more BattleTech!

I’ve been sucked in to it’s giant robot death fest of tactics, absorbing the game (and with it time) like some absorbent towel-like substance.

Currently my waking hours not spent in game have been dithering about whether to load my hunchback up with 8 MLs or 2 PPCs, or a PPC and 2 LLs… what to do, what to do?

9. gabrielonuris says:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain! Phew, finally, a little late for the hype train, but… last saturday I played it for 6 hours straight, stopped, and then more 5 hours. Maybe it’s not much for the hardcore gamer, but for the casual in me, that’s a lot.

My god, that’s not simply a video game; I still don’t understand how I was able to wait to play it for so long, and now I can’t see me stopping playing it anytime soon. Is this love?

• mac4 says:

I was dutifully going over Ground Zeroes first, but sort of bounced off the rescue questing.

The Phantom Pain’s intro alone I thought was pretty stunning, so maybe I should just dive straight in next. Certainly curious to see what lies beyond.

10. Monggerel says:

Same thing I do every weekend:
    stare directly into the fucking sun for twenty four hours straight.

• Monggerel says:

Okay I’m also replaying the Doom series. Recently finished DOOM and Doom, played some Doom 2 wads.
      Doom 3 is turning out to be such a doomy Doomless diversion though. I only played a little when it came out, and it’s just not a particularly good game. The horror doesn’t work, and the combat doesn’t work well either, flashlight or no flashlight.

On the whole, the experience has given me a new appreciation for video games though: if only you couldn’t talk to the demons!

If I made DOOM, there would be no dialogue, ever, anywhere. Just more and more and more and more music and more guns and more enemy types and more complex and challenging combat scenarios, until you finish the game and discover you’ve lost the ability to speak.

11. Calders96 says:

I will, tragically, be playing nothing, as I frantically finish up all of my university work before I am officially done in just shy of two weeks.

Don’t suppose anyone has any jobs going, do they?

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

I can relate…I am trying to wrap up my second year of grad school before my paid internship. BUT I don’t have enough self-control not to play games…

• mac4 says:

Don’t suppose anyone has any jobs going, do they?

Hm? Work, you say?

12. ZApe says:

I finished my first play-through of Prey last night, and I’m tempted to start it up again. Easily my favorite immersive sim since Deus Ex (2000).
    Speaking of Deus Ex, maybe I’ll finally give Mankind Divided a shot.

13. SaintAn says:

Fable Anniversary. I plan to replay the whole series.
    Got a new phone so some Dragon Quest 4 too.
    Frostpunk.
    Monster Prom.
    Star Wars Podracer.
    VA-11-Hall-A.
    Fantasy Life.

14. GemFire81 says:

Well I guess I will try playing Stardew Valley multiplayer with my wife. I would like to play a good MMO , but pretty much all the mmorpg’s that I am interested in trying again are so easy and boring I start falling asleep within the first hour of playing.

• brucethemoose says:

If you want to play with your wife, a co-op RPG like Divinity: Original Sin and is probably what you should be looking for.

The “MMORPG” label is an excuse for the devs to make a game grindy and awful.

• GemFire81 says:

Yeah, we did not mind the grindy part…. We both even like grindy stuff, but making the game super easy and grindy is what makes it very boring. She did not like Divinity, but never gave it to much of a chance. Mostly just stuck playing Overwatch. Stardew Valley might make it 20 – 50 hours though.

15. Morat Gurgeh says:

Battletech. Been waiting for the chance to put some real time into it. Now is my chance.

16. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

I still have Watch Dogs II to play (even without the DLC, it still keeps going after some 50+ hours) – I really dig the world, the characters (not enough screen time for T-Bone, though) and the quirky storylines about hacker mischief…

I also got BattleTech from Razer Game Store with my Razer CashBack reward, so it only cost me $17 – I am hopeful for it, I haven’t played a good turn based game since…forever

• Monggerel says:

My favourite part of Watchdogs II was when my plucky mischievous hacker was disemboveling security guards with an automatic shotgun, their screams drowned out by a weapon worthy of Warhammer 40K belching out hideous death at around 300 rounds (shells? je ne sais pas fusils) per minute.

Quirky.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Well, the game allows you to play it the way you want. I mostly prefer stealth and if I get bored, I turn to “trolling” my enemies with fake arrests and gang contracts and watch the mayhem over the CCTVs or via a drone.

17. nitric22 says:

I may simply be a PS4 gamer this weekend. Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 (I’ve yet to even boot this one up) are both asking for my attention. I can’t stand the idea that with God of War now released and Spider-man pending that my console backlog may become overwhelming.

18. kud13 says:

Well, I finally finished a “Normal” play of Bayonetta last night. I unlocked “Hard” difficulty, but that’ll wait until the actual summer, I think.

So I’ll probably move on to something more snooty. The Metro games sieem like a good thing to check out, wot with the hyped up sequel coming this year.

Also carrying on with the re-play of the original, (un-remastered) StarCraft, where I’m already on the 3rd Protoss mission; as well as some more custom scenarios for AoK HD, which I might play and then review on AoK Heaven.

Canada’s got 2 more weeks until the long weekend, so until then, it most likely business as usual.

19. Someoldguy says:

I will be gardening, imagining that I’m burning through mech limbs with a laser instead of chopping branches, but when the sun finally fades it’ll be stompin’ time for real.

20. Minglefingler says:

Having finished God of War during the week I’ll be continuing in Ni No Kuni 2 with a spot of Rory McIlroy PGA Tour, which EA seem to have added a lot to after a spartan release. I’ll also read some more of The Fifth Season, a book that I bought on the off chance it might be decent. I got lucky, it’s fantastic.

21. TheReaper27 says:

Just finished Far Cry 5 – didn’t care about the crazy story or the endings, but loved the gunplay. Dabbled a bit in Star Trek Online and LA Noire some more this past week, but am back to Max Payne 3 again (my perennial standby – has a solid combo of story, graphics, gunplay IMO)

22. Zenicetus says:

Obligatory yard work first, and then after annoying the neighbors with an insanely loud gas weed-whacker, it will be Battletech and a bit of Endless Space 2.

Battletech still seems a bit rough around the edges, with some mission designs that don’t feel like they were tested well enough. Like the instant reinforcement thing, and convoy missions need some tweaks to be less frustrating. I’m just avoiding random contract convoy missions for now. Most missions are fun though, which keeps me in the game.

• DeepFried says:

Honestly the only missions i’ve had some issues with are the assassination missions, sometimes the target gets away from me, one time there was no visible extraction area so that didn’t help. other than that its all been by the numbers.
      That said my last mission was pretty brutal, mission brief was one lance of heavy mechs, turned out to be 2 lances, 5 Thunderbolts, an orion and 2 jagers. Killed one of my pilots :(

23. juan_h says:

Disgaea 2 PC. I’m about a chapter or two from the end for the main story, and I’m beginning to remember why I fell out of love with Disgaea 1: the grind. I’m not as fussed as I could be because I recognize that my current problems are mostly of my own making. I simply didn’t create enough spell-casting characters at the beginning of the game. If I had, they would have leveled up normally like everyone else. But I didn’t, and thus I must grind. When I finish the main story, it will be on to the alternate “Dark Hero” route. And then perhaps some of the optional Pirate areas and bonus bosses. And then, inevitably, I will get sick of the grind and fall out of live with Disgaea 2 as well.

24. hfm says:

I am playing through Pool of Radiance with GBC. I haven’t played it since 1990-1991 on my old A500. I’m looking forward to just blazing through all 4 of the games in the series now. I fully planned on just playing it for a few hours and hanging it back up like I do with other old games, but I’m having a blast.

It’s actually holding up pretty well as long as GBC is in the mix. Removing the tedium of having to mule myself back and forth to ID items and level up is making it worthwhile to play through. To a lesser extent the automap. I don’t really have the free time to make mapping and dragging myself to trainers part of my CRPG experience these days. :/

• hijuisuis says:

Wow you reminded me I can go back and Replay the gold box games with this mod, thank you. I only finished Pool Of Radiance also on Amiga, but would dearly love to get the others completed.

I tried a few years ago without knowing about the mod and it was really really hard to go on.

25. Rainshine says:

Thanks to the comments section, I finally replaced my dying Logitech G mouse with… another Logitech G mouse. So probably going back to Black Flag to go further — I think I was ~ 68% completion, sequence 7. More Vampire Bloodlines too.

I fired up my last Stellaris save this week, and remembered why I quit — game five of getting an empire fundamentally opposed to my ascension path as a next door neighbor. As of the save they’ve wiped out 90% of my infrastructure, and captured or bombarded 30% of my planets, and taken my fleet from the strongest of the normal empires to nothing, and there’s still ~180k worth of fleets roaming around my space. I think most normals are around 3k right now.

26. Plok says:

I went outside, hissed at the Sun and now I’m back in the dungeon playing Dark Souls 3 (again), Hidden Folks and some Guild Wars 2 (remember that one? Anybody. No? Dust).

• Rainshine says:

I remember (and play) GW2 from time to time. I enjoy it, and have a couple problems with it. First of all, jumping puzzles. AUGH! Not my thing.
      Secondly, I have no idea what’s going on in any broader context. Like, I can run around and solo kill stuff, but I don’t know/remember most of the story, and I’ve got no idea the actual details of how groups are supposed to work. It seems like it might support a kind of heals/tank system but…
      And then, from the events and stuff I’ve done, it seems like it hates melee. Most of the stuff I remember fighting as part of events or whatever seemed to be filled with ways to obliterate melee most all the time, and since my main maxxed is a fighterdude, I’d end up spending most of the fight on the ground bleeding out.

27. GomezTheChimp says:

Super Mega Baseball 2, and because I`m a bit of a sado-masochist, Flashpoint: fire Rescue.

• Kitsunin says:

It’s funny, I haven’t managed to lose Flashpoint even once, so I got sick of it pretty quickly. I guess that’s the difference it makes when you’ve played many co-op and solo board games before (I’m used to playing Pandemic on Heroic mode with one of the super-virus expando-variants). Hopefully they hurry up and add the higher difficulty levels from the board game.

28. daztec says:

Frostpunk. My first game saw my little colony fade into frozen starvation and rebellion after days of play. In my second game i have an automaton and piles and piles of coal and MREs, ready for my first bout of -70 temperatures

29. fish99 says:

Not playing much, just a bit of Skyrim VR here and there.

30. deanimate says:

Solium Infernum! Finally getting some games going again after a chap emailed me about a discord group for fellow hellish fiends.
    If anyone remembers this absolute gem and wants to get back into its antics the discord is here: link to discord.gg

• Shinard says:

Oooh, any space for a new player? Fell in love with the diary series way back, and I’ve been hovering over buying the game ever since.

Also the invite link is invalid or has expired, apparently, though I am on a phone

• deanimate says:

Just buy it man, it’s so much fun :D
        Don’t stress about it being a little full on initially, there’s plenty of help on the discord to help you get started.
        link to discord.gg
        I’ll check back to make sure that link has worked ok

31. Grim Rainbow says:

Ah nothing. Looking for my next MMORPG. Will give Crowfall a go when it gets outta beta. Just quit SWG Awakening due to feeling I’d done what I’d wanted. Was hard to say goodbye to my Rodian bounty hunting gunslinger though and giving my DE-10 sidearm away. Need to job hunt but maybe finish my game of Stellaris. The updates made it so I’m not trapped inside a fanatic religious empire of platypus any more.

32. nifft.batuff says:

Still playing dragon quest VII on the 3DS emulator… I have lost the total number of hours. Started to play Persona 5 on the PS3 emulator. It incredibly works even on my average laptop.

33. Dekion says:

A rare outing for the PS4 this week. I bought horizon zero dawn and newest uncharted in a sale. Been mucking about with tv, av receiver and console to get HDR to work (nothing wrong with equipment just needed to read the manual). Trying to decide if amazing or horribly over saturated! PS4 sounds like it’s attempting to hover though. Bit jarring when used to a silent pc.

34. Lars Westergren says:

I finished Nier: Automata. Great game, but no way am I replaying it 4+ times to get the true ending, especially when Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire comes out in two days. Maybe I will play Psychonauts: Rhombus of Ruin tonight. Psychonauts 1 is one of my fav games ever and I love the characters , feels strange to be meet them again after all this time.

• Calders96 says:

To be fair, you don’t have to replay it 4+ times. The game is in fact different every play through – it’s a COMPLETELY different game and story after the second (much quicker) run through.

• Lars Westergren says:

Yeah I looked up the different endings, which I kind of regret. I had guessed some of the plot twists, but not all and I can imagine the kind of emotional gutpunches some of them would have been when they were slowly revealed. Especially if you were even more attached to the characters, both PCs and NPCs.

• Lars Westergren says:

Update: Rhombus of Ruin is awesome. The great art and level design really comes alive in VR.

35. DeepFried says:

Getting on in Battletech, very much enjoying it, finding new layers of tactical depth as I go. Just built the 3rd mech bay so now my collection can expand again :D
    Still playing My Summer Car which has surprising depth, and seemingly infinite trolling programmed in, which for some reason makes it more compelling.

36. caff says:

Pah, all you mainstream wannabies.

I have been going properly itch.io indie. I’ve been wandering through Connor Sherlock’s latest walking simulator thingies. “Witch of Agnesi” is utterly beautiful.

I’ve also got more Deadly Premonition to play. I finally got it running after 2 hours of configuration hell. It’s still not perfect but it does at least run now at a sensible pace rather than 2.5fps. Thank god for DPFix.

Iamblichos says:

Star Traders Frontiers, which is made of pure crack. I’m glad/sad you guys reviewed it, because I didn’t need to know this existed. Dang it, I’ve got things to do!

• DeepFried says:

I’ve heard good things about it, and tried to play it twice but i’ve bounced off it hard. How long does it take to get into?

Iamblichos says:

I had the same reaction… it is OPAQUE in the beginning. I watched a Youtube let’s play where they walked through the set up, and then read a bit on the wiki. The lore document for this game gave me so much happiness, but that is probably personal weirdness. This is a deep, rich universe and the game expresses that. It took me about 3 tries to feel like I knew anything that was going on, and then it clicked into place.

38. Shinard says:

Crusader Kings II. I’ve got really rusty, so I think I’ll check the tutorials again, but I’m having a great time as a medieval Machiavelli. It is a very odd game to try and explain to someone who doesn’t play many games, though.

39. Foosnark says:

Spent my weekend punching the center torsos out of a lot of mechs and doing my best to keep Dekker alive.

To that end, I decided I’d build a library for the Argo instead of a gymnasium because Dekker will probably injure himself less severely in a library.

40. panda says:

I was able to play some Lone Echo, that was fun.

Comment on this story