It’s the final day to buy Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition

The PC’s original ‘Prepare To Die’ edition of Dark Souls will be removed from sale on STeam tomorrow, ahead of the launch of the mildly fancier Remastered edition, so buy now if you want it for posterity. Folks who own Prepare To Die will get a 50% discount on Remastered, but that’ll still work out more expensive, so the reason to buy now would be to have the old version. Why might you want that if you’ve gone almost six years without it? Ah, well, y’know, I don’t know the mysteries of your mind. Perhaps this is the final prod you need to check out some weird mod you saw. Or perhaps you collect delisted Steam games? People.

Dark Souls: Remastered isn’t hugely changed over the original, sharpening up textures, fancying up lighting, and making minor tweaks including adding Dark Souls III-style password matchmaking, building an extra bonfire near the skeletal blacksmith, increasing the online player limit to six, letting people pop a load of consumables in one go, and such. Couple that with built-in support for resolution options that had to be modded into Prepare To Die and yeah, indicators are that it’s probably the version you’ll want to play.

But maybe you do want the original. This is RPS’s official best RPG, after all. It’s a fine piece of history in an industry which has a tendency to, uh, pull history from sale so it can sell a mildly improved new version. And Remastered may yet turn out to have some iffy changes. We don’t know if all the weird and wonderful mods will even work with Remastered either. Hey, I’m just here to pass along the information.

Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition is £20/€20/$20 on Steam. It will be removed from sale on Steam tomorrow, Wednesday the 9th, though it will of course remain in players’ Steam libraries and be downloadable and playable. And keys bought from third-party sites will still work, obvs. Dark Souls: Remastered is coming on May 25th; if you own Prepare To Die on Steam, you’ll get a 50% discount.

1. Apocalypse says:

Cool. I think I did own dark souls for about an hour or so. IIRC it was the first game that I get a refund for via the “new” steam steam to get refunds. It did not run very well (low quality 720 renderings in the original without mods) and the amount of work to put into the game to make it a proper PC port via mods seemed so unappealing that I did not bother with it.

4k resolution support now? Sounds great. Better textures? Even better … looking forward to it. Hopefully no hassles attached to that release.

• Mugbot says:

Installing DSfix is really just copying a couple of files, I think you are overstating the amount of work a tad.

• MajorLag says:

I couldn’t care less about any of that, but the fact that their implementation of mouse control made the game unplayable, and that they never released a patch to fix it, is simply unforgivable. I’ve never played any other entry in the series because of it and I’m not about to give them more money for a do-over.

• Flatbread_ says:

Dark Souls 3 was a fantastic port and I heard (though haven’t tried myself) that the KB+M controls are good too. They learned from their mistakes.

And if you always refuse to buy from a dev after one bad lemon, I imagine you miss out on a lot of good games.

• theslap says:

The controls are a bit better with KB+M but it is still clearly a port. The tutorials for the DS3 are given strictly with controller keys, the menus navigate horribly with KB+M, and the advantage of using a controller for combat is night and day. I wouldn’t recommend the game to anyone who isn’t planning to play with a controller. Frankly, I’m surprised PC players have been as forgiving as they have with these ports.

• Zoopy says:

I think it’s because it’s no longer abnormal for PC gamers to have a controller for specific games like the Batman games, Assassin’s Creed, racing games, Souls-likes, etc. I’ve had one since 2011 and I can’t imagine going without it.

Not that I’m saying games shouldn’t be optimised for the PC’s native control scheme. They absolutely should. But I’m guessing the reason more people don’t complain about poor K&M controls in games of this nature is because they simply play better on controllers, no matter how good the K&M implementation is.

• DudeshootMankill says:

Despite shitty framerate, shitty keyboard controls and whatnot..

Its still one of the best games ever.

• shauneyboy68 says:

It took all of 5 minutes to apply the mods to PC Dark Souls… maybe not even that.

2. Amake says:

I got the original on sale for five bucks, and I’m hoping the discount for having it will persist until the remaster goes on sale. Maybe a cheap approach to a game I’ve sunk approximately 1500 very enjoyable hours in, but I’m poor.

3. TR`Ben says:

Dark souls is like my old guitar for me. It’s not as good as I remember and time wasn’t kind to it. Still, it brings a lot of warm memories whenever I touch it. And if I do some small repairs, I’ll be able to play the melodies of my past. The melodies a new guitar wouldn’t be able to play in the same way.

• Kingseeker Camargo says:

How hasn’t time been kind to it? I played hundreds of hours in the three games and the first one is still the best by a fair margin, and better than pretty much anything I’ve played before and after (second only to Sands of Time, maybe).

There’s been dozens of attempts to capture its magic, but not even From themselves managed to do it.

4. Monggerel says:

I’m gonna wait and see how the community reacts. If there’s enough new/returning players to get the online ball rolling, will probably get this too. And pester my friends until they buy it too, then leave them stranded in the Catacombs.
    It’s what Patches would do.

5. internisus says:

Not nearly enough people are mad/concerned about this original version of the game getting removed from the store. All you have to do is look at the new art style for the bonfires in DS Remastered to start wondering whether the initial release ought to remain accessible to all who would choose it.

6. Faldrath says:

Owning PtD is mostly about mods these days, I’d wager – you can do some crazy stuff with them (replace all enemies with bosses? randomize all drops? play in first person? yes please… er… maybe?).

I have no idea how open the remastered edition will be to modding, or whether mod makers are going to bother updating the mods.

7. MonolithTMA says:

The Prepare To Die Again mod is reason enough to pick this one up if you don’t have it.

8. DeepFried says:

“password matchmaking” and that right there is reason enough for me to get the remaster.

9. Chaoslord AJ says:

Right in time so buyers can’t compare the two versions and refund the old one both due to 14 day-rule. Dick move.

10. bill says:

Well, I guess I missed it.

How have the minimum hardware requirements changed? I hadn’t picked it up yet because I wasn’t sure how well it’d run.

If the new version is better optimized then maybe it’ll have lower requirements, but if they’ve buffed the lighting and textures then maybe they’ll go up… in which case it’s out of reach.

Comment on this story