Destiny 2: Warmind unleashes frozen Hive on Mars today

Destiny2Warmindheader

It’s Destiny expansion day! Destiny 2: Warmind, or more accurately ‘Destiny 2: Zombies but cold and on Mars’, comes out at 7pm BST today. It’s about heading to the red planet to stop the Hive from destroying a big old supercomputer, except Mars is all icy and the computer’s broken anyway. This is Destiny, so it’s also about collecting shiny guns which you can use to duff up other alien folk, this time in the form of a new wave survival mode.

It sounds dry, but *this is Destiny* – so the gunning will likely still leave me grinning even when it’s on the unimaginative side. A trailer and more details await below.

Here’s Bungie’s list of what’s new. Fill your boots:

• All-new Raid Lair: Spire of Stars
  • New themed weapons, armor and gear to earn
  • All-new ritual activity: Escalation Protocol
  • All-new relic weapon, The Valkyrie
  • New Strikes
  • New story missions and adventures
  • New destination polar ice caps of Mars
  • Access to multiplayer arenas in Private Matches

…or, if the last expansion was anything to go by, only partially fill your boots then wander back to other games when you run out of stuff to do after a few hours. Curse of Osiris’s meagre offering hasn’t left me with the highest of hopes for Warmind, though I’d be surprised if it’s quite as content-lite after the backlash to the first expansion. The only thing smaller than Osiris’s campaign was its new open area, so hopefully these Martian ice caps will prove a little more expansive.

That new raid-lair will go live on Friday at 6pm BST. Raid-lairs are designed to be a bit shorter than regular raids, which does put another arrow in the quiver of anyone ready to shoot the expansion down for not including enough stuff – though I’ll hold fire for now. I’m a sucker for AI hijinks, and I might take this as an excuse to go back to some more relaxed shooty blasting after spending so many hours tackling intense Plunkbats.

Update 1.2 will land at the same time as the expansion, ushering in ‘season 3’. That means exotic weapons have been twiddled with to make each feel more unique, exotic masterworks are now a thing, and the crucible has a new ranking system. Speaking of the crucible, it’s worth noting that this time round non-expansion buyers also get to play on the new multiplayer maps – though not in (also new) private matches. The patch notes should appear on Bungie’s site later today.

Destiny 2: Warmind is available through Battle.net by itself for £16.79/$19.99/€19.99, or as part of the pricier season pass.

1. malkav11 says:

I think it’s laudably optimistic to think Warmind won’t be as content light as Curse of Osiris, when Curse of Osiris was as content light as The Dark Below and House of Wolves DLCs for the original. Apparently Bungie just can’t or won’t deliver significant amounts of content by the standards of other games.

(Yes, The Taken King was bigger, and since they seem to be retreading the expansion path of the first game, we can probably expect an update of that size for similar (silly) amounts of money next. But that was also pretty light compared to the pricetag, as far as I can tell. And of course the base games for Destiny and 2 alike end up expecting you to repeat yourself quite quickly.)

2. Viral Frog says:

Well, I already have the expansion pass. Still haven’t finished the Osiris content. The gameplay is incredibly satisfying, but I am just never inclined to play when there are hundreds of other games that are, in my opinion, far more enjoyable.

I’ll probably hop on, finish the Osiris stuff, then start on this though. I’m sure I have some friends who will be playing again to check out the expansion.

3. Furiant says:

So for someone whose reflexes have dulled with age and is not particularly interested in being an elite, top-tier player: is it reasonable to expect to enjoy this game? Can I just play how I want and enjoy the pretty gear and explosions, or is my mediocrity going to be some kind of crime against others on the battlefield?

• welverin says:

You’ll be fine.

In public events no one else will care what you’re doing, not that they can say anything about it.

In strikes as long as you aren’t dying constantly you won’t be a problem, and even if you somehow do, you won’t stop the other two players from advancing.

Crucible (PvP) is the only place you’d be a real hindrance, and that can be minimized by playing smart (sticking with others and not charging around solo, combined fire is the way to go).

In general any deficiencies age may have left you with can be over come by over leveling for PvE and playing smart in PvP as I mentioned above.

Just avoid any of the harder things like Nightfall, the raid, or any prestige stuff, of course those are all things that require a fireteam and if you have one of them, they should be accepting of any limitations you might have.

• datreus says:

Or you could just play Warframe which is basically the same game except:

a) It’s free
      b) It’s better
      c) The community is nicer

• malkav11 says:

d) it has huge numbers of grindy timesinks that it gently suggests perhaps skipping past with just a little real money, what could it hurt?

Not to say that it’s as bad about that as some games.

• jamesgecko says:

Warframe is to Destiny 2 as Quake 3 is to Halo.

There’s shooting, looting, and grinding, but they’re far from the same game.

• Raoul Duke says:

So Warframe is really, really amazing and Destiny 2 is really, really generic and average?

• dskzero says:

I could swear more people praise Warframe than people actually play it.

Mostly because they want to rag on Destiny.

• dskzero says:

d) it’s really boring and obtuse.

• dskzero says:

Except for PVP and maybe Nightfalls, you can enjoy the entire game being a mediocre players.

You should find a nice clan and be able to follow instructions for Raids though.