Grand Theft Auto Online gives away money for nothing

This... is a journey into money. Loads of money.

As much as I’d like to see some manner of solo expansion for Grand Theft Auto V, its multiplayer component is a massive, sprawling thing with easily as much to do as the base game, it not more. It’s just a pity that to get access to some of the more exciting events (such as gun-running), you need to grind for money for that initial investment. Thankfully that’s a little easier this week, as Rockstar are giving away fat sacks of in-game cash this week, and discounting many mission-generating properties.

Rockstar are calling this particular windfall and flood of discounts Business Week. Anyone who logs in at all to the game this week will earn themselves $250k in in-game cash, plus an additional $150k for each day you log in during the week. Sadly the payout isn’t instantaneous, but players should find their bank accounts swelling between May 15th and the 21st.

For those already relatively flush with cash and wanting to make more, you can get offices (for doing Business Crimes) at half price at the moment. Underground bunkers and aircraft hangars (for doing Army and Air Crimes respectively) are 40% reduced. These are probably what you want to shoot for if you want access to the really fun new missions, especially the bunker and hangar-related jobs. Discounts are also available on biker gang HQs, but their jobs aren’t quite as fleshed out or exciting.

As with all things GTA Online, bringing friends helps too, as doing escort/freight type missions solo is just asking for every lunatic on the map to make a bee-line for you. A little helicopter gunship support is highly appreciated at times like that. This update for the game also introduces two ridiculously flash (and probably quite overpriced) sports cars to the lineup, although quite why you’d want any of those when the transforming super-spy car from the Doomsday heist expansion is available is beyond me.

1. dontnormally says:

Nice, now I can maybe afford a tire.

2. Durgendorf says:

Holding out until they also offer checks for free.

3. Petethegoat says:

I strongly feel that this is not newsworthy. Maybe I’m alone in thinking that, but this isn’t even an update or patch.

I don’t know. Just feels jarringly like SEO bait.

I did like your tweet about the hard mode in one of the Armored Core games though.

• dontnormally says:

I have the impression that RPS used to not and now (a few years ago) does do the same ol’ SEO things everyone does.

• satan says:

Well, popular game giving away something of value for free (which rockstar rarely do) is news I’d appreciate if I hadn’t cheated to give myself billions in gta:o already.

4. Gothnak says:

I finally played GTA 5 this year after borrowing my mate’s Xbox One copy…

Played the first section, with the black guy and the ex-mob boss, and then got to play with the guy in the desert. Lasted another hour or so, but the setting got so depressing, I uninstalled it and gave it back.

I did the same thing years ago with San Andreas after having to kick someone’s head into the kerb. I don’t think i’m any good at playing a game where i hate the character i’m controlling.

• Jernau Gurgeh says:

You probably didn’t get to the bit where that character gets roped in to do some torture for the gubbermint and has to choose their method. You can’t choose to not do it. It made me feel sick and I didn’t want to carry on playing. Uninstalled it from my PS3 and sold it on Fleabay. Stupid really, I know it’s just pixels. I had got a bit bored, anyway. Made up for it by playing Saints Row 2. Much more fun.

5. Tyller says:

This after hackers already have everything. I pass…

6. MrBear says:

250k, 150k, that’s peanuts. For those who start out it’s nice, but they will soon find that the car the want is a bit more expensive than this.

Comment on this story