Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock getting a major expansion

Admit it, you can hear the drums just looking at this.

To this day, I’m honestly baffled that the Battlestar Galactica revival spawned so few games. It’s a setting that just begs for it on so many levels, so I’m glad that Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock exists, even if it was over a decade late to the party. This space strategy/tactics adaptation was perhaps a little lightweight at launch, but developers Black Lab Games have been patching, tweaking and tuning it ever since, and are gearing up for the release of its first full expansion: The Broken Alliance.

While The Broken Alliance isn’t the first DLC the game has received (that would be the Reinforcement Pack, adding a few new ships to either side), the upcoming expansion looks somewhat bigger.¬†Two new¬†capital-class models on each side plus some new fighter types are the opener, with the most exciting addition being a new story arc added to the existing semi-dynamic campaign. There will be eight new story missions on the human side focused on colonial infighting and political collapse even as the Cylon threat looms.

While there’s no hard date pinned down for the Broken Alliance, it’s due for release relatively soon, according to its Steam store page. Within the second quarter of this year, at least. In their official announcement, Black Lab mention that ‘the best is yet to come’, teasing further updates and growth for the game. Previous updates have included some major changes, such as interface overhauls and far better strategic info screens, but planned updates (likely releasing alongside the expansion) promise some major mechanical changes, such as persistent, visible and game-affecting damage on capital ships.

As an aside, for those who’d rather just jump into the cockpit of a Viper and raise some hell, I cannot recommend fan-made game Diaspora: Shattered Armistice highly enough. It’s too short (extended somewhat by some fan-made missions – see the fangame’s official forums), but impressively polished and does some genuinely impressive stuff with the Freespace Open engine.

1. nitric22 says:

This game has truly been a classic case of in one ear and out the other for me. I just plum keep forgetting that it exists. Yet I really would like to play it. I’m going straight away to Steam to add it to my wish list. And just maybe they’ll have some sort of discounted Gold/Silver/Platinum/Amethyst Edition once the expansion drops. BSG strategy game, here I come!

2. malkav11 says:

I mean, you could probably mine BSG for a game or two (and indeed, people have) but I’m not convinced it’s actually crying out for many such adaptations. Some licenses invoke a wide, rich sea of possibilities, only a few of which have been explored to any great degree. Star Wars, for example, takes place in an entire galaxy. There are countless inhabited planets with their own weird alien life and cultures and tech and such. It’s maybe not always super imaginative, and I for one don’t have a ton of active interest in playing in its worlds because I feel like the most iconic stories in it have already been told. (Witness how even the new movies have been having a hard time escaping the shadow of the original trilogy.) But the scope is there.

Battlestar Galactica has 12 inhabited planets, all of which are murdered in the opening miniseries. From there you have a refugee fleet with a handful of naval ships protecting them and a cast of identifiable characters in the low dozens. You have a couple of ship types on each side and minimal fancy tech or other such toys to play with. One of the reasons I haven’t picked up Deadlock is I’m not convinced that you can get an entire game’s worth of interesting, different tactical situations out of such a limited set of parameters, and that addresses one of the main game types the license really supports. I think the only other thing that seems obviously called for but unfulfilled is a management/survival game with moral decisions and Cylon infiltration ala Frostpunk. I can’t imagine there being grounds for, say, a roleplaying game, or a shooter, or a platformer, or really all that much scope for a space sim (though you could have some fun dogfights).

• Tam-Lin says:

Babylon 5. There was/is a galaxy that was crying out for a game series. In a better world, Into the Fire would have been published.

• Det. Bullock says:

There is indeed a fanmade spacesim of Battlestar Galactica made with the open source version of the Freespace 2 engine:
      link to diaspora.hard-light.net

I haven’t tried it yet but people say it’s bloody good if short, they even implemented 3D cockpits which were absent in the original version of the engine.

3. BobbyDylan says:

This game is on my wishlist but I’m just not finding the time to get to all the new games with my new “dad” responsibilities. I’m glad this is getting an expansion, since then I can pick up the OG, the XP, and play it fresh.

4. SomeDuderr says:

Well… It’s no Homeworld.

Like, Homeworld is basically BSG, in terms of motivations (Exiles running a fleet back to their homeworld vs a people being exiled from their homeworld(s) to their original planet). Should have just take those games as the template for a BSG game, because this looks like a janky mess that’s not fun to play.

5. bill says:

I was thinking last night that it’s weird there haven’t been hundreds of Marvel games.

If anything has defined movies and pop culture over the past 10 years, it’s been Marvel. 15 movies in 10 years, Infinity War being huge, plus all the other movies (Deadpool, Logan, etc..) and at least 10 tv shows (that I can think of off the top of my head)… and yet very very few video games.

I know there have been a couple, and I know superhero games have always been hard to balance/limit, but surely we should be drowning in Avengers, Thor, Iron Man, Hawkeye, GotG etc… games by now?

I mean, I think we’ve had more batman games than all the marvel ones combined.

Have all the licensed games (except starwars and batman) gone to mobile?

• malkav11 says:

There’s been a ton of movie tie-in games, Telltale did a Guardians game, there’s been several Lego Marvel games, there’s Marvel Puzzle Quest, there’s the two X-Men Legends games (though I’m not sure those ever came to PC) and the spinoff Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, there’s Marvel vs Capcom fighting games, and most significantly, there was the late, lamented Marvel Heroes, the best ARPG I’ve ever played. I don’t really know how it stacks up vs DC licensed games but it hasn’t been all that lacking. That said, Marvel is kind of notorious for being tough to work with for licensed properties so that may well have prevented there from being a full on glut. It certainly did a lot to kill things like Marvel Heroes and the most recent Marvel tabletop RPG.