Civilization 6 launches spring update today

A good spring clean is cathartic after the long and dark winter, and Firaxis will surely feel better after releasing the Spring 2018 Update for Civilization VI later today. Along with improving joint wars, tweaking balance, fixing bug, and making the AI slightly less of a big silly, it adds some new Historic Moments for a fresh breath of springtime air in the Rise And Fall expansion. These include such world-changing moments as the building of the first seaside resort, the founding of the first national park, and the completion of the first totally rad tricked-out water park with a pool, aquarium, Ferris wheel, and all that. Ah, to be stuck indoors on a beautiful day like this…

The changes are many, but here are some that caught my eye:

• Joint Wars/Third Party War Update
  • -Players can now ask other players or AI to join wars they are already in.
    -Trade screen allows Casus Belli to be chosen when declaring a Joint War.
    -Joint War now requires one party to have denounced the enemy for 5 turns.
    -Leader screen makes it clear that war declaration is part of a joint war.

• Religion can now affect the Loyalty of a city. For players who founded a religion, cities get +3 Loyalty for following that religion, but -3 Loyalty per turn if following another player’s religion.
  • Governor Magnus Groundbreaker ability reduced from +100% to +50%.
  • Government Balance Pass
  • -Communism: Bonus Production per population from .4 to .6. Overall Production bonus from 10% to 15%.
    -Democracy: Production per district from 2 to 1.
    -Fascism: Combat Strength from 4 to 5. Bonus unit production from 20% to 50%.

• Policy Rebalance:
  • -Military Research gives +2 Science from Military Academies, Seaports, and Renaissance Walls (was +1 and did not include Renaissance Walls).
    -Public Transport gives 100 Gold per Appeal when replacing a Farm with a Neighborhood (was 50).
    -Ecommerce gives +2 Production and +5 Gold for all your Trade Routes (was +5 and +10 but only for international Trade Routes).

• Made it so when somebody wins the game in the Information Era, it reset all players to be in a Normal Age and take away all Dedication bonuses. This puts everyone on a level playing field for “One More Turn” mode. (If somebody wins in an earlier era, continue the progression of eras and Ages as normal.)
  • Made Turtles Luxury Resource more common.
  • AI evaluates joint and third party wars based on the chosen casus belli, and applies casus belli to its own offers
  • Fixed issues with AI strategies, including yield priorities and era strategies (as reported on community forums, thanks!).
  • Fixed government bonus analysis problem. AI will no longer focus entirely on monarchy.

The mention of “yield priorities” is an embarrassing bug. Turns out, the AI’s brainguts had a typo–“YEILD” instead of “YIELD”–that broke their priorities and made them behave weird, a bug which was spotted by a player. Oh dear.

The update is hitting both base Civ 6 and Rise And Fall today. See the patch notes for all the changes and details on what affects which.

1. Syt says:

“Joint War now requires one party to have denounced the enemy for 5 turns” …. hey, my friends may actually stop randomly declaring war on me because they want to buy some orange from someone else.

2. Pogs says:

I before E except after C! They continue to spell Civilisation with a ‘z’ though so I’m not surprised their spelling is a bit lacking :p

• Kefren says:

Ah, the “I before E rule except after C” rule. We seize on that as a species, and in the same vein science says it is insufficient and weird that feisty foreigners point out their ten exceptions in one sentence. :-)

• Creeping Death says:

“I before e except after c”

I’ve always found their rule for this very weird. It seems like such a foreign concept to me it seizes up my veins.

distantlurker says:

With -ize, peeps always seem to think it’s an Americanism, it’s not it’s the original British English, -ise is French.

Cambridge publishing prefers -ise, the Oxford English folks prefer -ize.

I prefer -ize but then I’m very, very old ^^

3. Mungrul says:

This is the big one for me, which has been in the game since release:
    “Addressed audio issues with large and mod-expanded map sizes”

I hope it does what I think it does. Basically, without this fix, in mid-to-late game when the map had been fully revealed, sounds would gradually die off, leaving you with just howling wind.

It’s amazing how unplayable it made the game.

4. brucethemoose says:

So is the AI bearable now?

Stupid AI is a pet peev of mine, and CivV/BE’s AI is right at my tolerance threshold. I simply can’t touch VI until it’s at that level, at least.

• PostieDoc says:

Hope so because at the moment random civs keep declaring war on me for no apparent reason.
      Two or three declare war at a time and when I get to the point that I can make peace with them a different two or three civs will declare war on me to take their places.

• Stromko says:

I find the AI is unable to intelligently wage all the wars it starts on the player, so mid and late-game it’s a great source of resources through ridiculous peace deals, though it is annoying how it makes any diplomatic play impossible due to all the grudges (or warmonger penalties for those who haven’t YET surprise-declared war on you).

Then again at the highest difficulties and especially early on before you can build an army the random wars can just knock you out or put off your game entirely. No one likes being on the receiving end of an early zerg rush, and when you’ve given the AI a massive percentage boost to make the mid-game more challenging, there isn’t a lot you can do.

Comment on this story