Darkest Dungeon gets Lovecraftier with DLC in June

darkest-dungeon-the-colour-of-darkness

Going anywhere nice this summer? How about a stay in a farmhouse upon a blasted heath with four of your closest adventurepals, fending off waves of millhands twisted by a terrible comet? That’s the sort of Lovecraftian summer holiday coming to Darkest Dungeon in the grimdark tactical RPG’s second expansion, The Colour Of Madness, which developers Red Hook Studios have announced will launch on June 19th. It’ll visit a new region named The Farmstead and fight a new endless wave survival quest in the fight to stop the influence of the crashed comet, the millers warped by it, and the Thing the comet brought.

Red Hook set it up thusly:

“Some hateful shard of alien origin has streaked through the night sky, crashing into the old Miller’s farm on the outskirts of the Hamlet! Those unfortunate enough to witness the Comet’s arrival have been blinded by what they can only describe as a shifting, ephemeral hue of damnably abrasive intensity. There has been no word from the farm in a fortnight, save for the unearthly groaning that echoes from the ruin of the mill…”

Good, great, lovely, I’ll get right on that.

So, The Farmstead! It’s occupied by The Miller and his workers, a new faction of enemies who aren’t quite feeling themselves. The Miller is one boss, then the later two are… somewhat more cosmic.

As for things that help us, the expansion will add a Jeweler trading our Comet Shards for new trinkets, new curios, and four new buildings for the Hamlet. Though of course we’ll face new quirks, for the fun new ways to lose our minds.

It also includes an ‘Endless Quest’, which Red Hook describe thusly: “Survive as long as you can while getting lost in time and space, confronted by unending waves of enemies new and old, pushing ever closer to the crash site of the Comet.”

Good times.

The Color Of Madness is coming to Steam on June 19, priced at $5 – half the price of The Crimson Court. In the meantime, you might fancy preparing yourself by reading H.P. Lovecraft’s The Colour Out Of Space.

1. SaintAn says:

I recommend the Dark Adventure Radio Theate radio play of the Colour Out of Space. All their Lovecraft stories are really well done.
    Sample: link to youtube.com

2. Eawyne says:

How would you fine people here define the game ? I tried it once, liked it, but got to other horizons. Since then, I’ve always hesitated to get myself into it, but I’d need some more insights =)

• Barts says:

I love it. Over last three years or so it has been my most played game. I haven’t completed it (blocked on one of the final missions), but I consider it to be great. Good chunk of my admiration for the game comes from it’s audio (that commentator!) and visuals (reminding of Hellboy and such) that build incredible atmosphere. Also, I don’t mind “losing” – like in FTL, it’s better not to get attached to individual heroes.

My recommendation would be to add it to wishlist on the platform of your choice (for me it’s GOG, but it’s available everywhere) and wait for the inevitable sale. It was already available for pennies a couple of times – and at a reduced price it’s totally worth it, even if you realise that it’s getting too difficult / too random / too boring after ten or twenty hours.

• Eawyne says:

GoG’s my place to go also, the only one when it comes to dematerialized games ^^ I put it o my wishlist indeed, along with the various DLC – for later !

I understand your passion of it =P The reasons for it, at least, as I had enjoyed them at that time I played it. So for you, there’s no overly unbalanced gameplay in the final stages of the game .?

• Barts says:

No, but then again, I haven’t not finished it yet, despite playing since early 2016, so my opinion might not be entirely trustworthy.

In general, the last dungeons are very, very hard. But they are supposed to be, it’s the end-game, right? One of the features of Darkest Dungeon is that sometime everything can go to hell even if you have prepared thoroughly and played wisely – just like it does in real life. In that sense, yes, you can get a random dice roll that will hurt you – and in the final stages it will probably annihilate the whole team. High stakes, right? That said, there’s plenty of ways to manage risks and minimise dangers, but, once again, just like in real life, you can sometimes fail despite doing all to minimise chances of failure.

Not sure if I am making myself clear. But it’s a lot of fun, even when you’re losing. Just like FTL.

• Eawyne says:

The fact though is that I don’t really fancy games that are punishing for the sake of it. I had some hard time with FTL, but after a year of trying and never winning, I realised I had no fun with it. Life is a bitch, but it’s no reason to put it into games as well…

I’ll have to consider it really well ^^’

• dontnormally says:

This is like FTL in that dangers and risks are rampant, BUT –

It is very unlike FTL in that you have many people in your roster, and even losing your entire A team in a battle does not result in your loss.

You simply… don’t have those people any more. You groom a new A team, and, now more the wiser, don’t put all your eggs in one basket / diversify / etc. You can gain several new dudes each day (for free).

It’s almost like XCOM in that regard – you have many dudes to manage, unlike in FTL where you have 1 ship.

(the to-hit randomness is not nearly as frustrating as XCOM, though)

• Viral Frog says:

“I’ve heard mixed reviews for this game, but one had stuck with me. It said that essentially, a lot of people praised the game based on some early-to-mid-game levels, but that the further you got, the more totally unbalanced and dull it all became (based on some low-interest level-up past some stage).”

The only people I’ve ever heard these complaints from are those who don’t understand risk management. I really don’t think balance is an issue at all. It’s about knowing when to take a risk, when not to take a risk, and how to play to your party’s strengths and weaknesses, along with knowing how to compose an effective party for whatever zone you’re tackling.

I haven’t finished the game yet, it’s one of those ones I keep installed and play for 15 min to a few hours every once in a while, but my run is definitely nearing the endgame. I haven’t seen any balance issues yet.

Disclaimer: I haven’t done anything with the expansion content but did hear a lot of more legitimate sounding complaints about balance there.

• subedii says:

Own the game, played it for quite a while. In general I feel as if the farther you go in the game, the more grindy it gets, too much for its own good, and not really in an interesting way.

Personally I agree with this critique (be warned, kind of spoilerish), he does a decent job of dissecting what I feel does and doesn’t work, and why:

link to youtube.com

He’s one of the few reviewers that has actually completed it.

• shadowmarth says:

The atmosphere, the voiceover, the art, the basic gameplay, the class choices, are all FUCKING GREAT. Which is why it pains me to say that this game has what I am forced to call absolutely fucking critical, horrible ass flaws. It forces you to grind out the lategame to a degree that is utterly ridiculous. The shit it pulls when you reach the final dungeon, HOO BOY I won’t spoil it but it is one of the more bullshit things a game has ever done to me.

But that’s nothing compared to how dull the character progression is. Which is to say, there is almost none. Sure, your characters level up. They gain weird traits (mostly negative) that you have to constantly finagle trying to get rid of or offset, which is NOT VERY FUN. I would be OK with that if there was more actual PROGRESS possible though. The equipment you can get is the best way to upgrade your characters meaningfully, but actual meaningful equipment is few and far between. The worst thing is that all character skill upgrades, the primary way you advance your character, are all PURE NUMBER BOOSTS. The way your character plays essentially at the very start is exactly how it’s going to play after 200 hours of grind. And that’s just unacceptable when you will HAVE to grind for so fucking long.

I understand at some point well after I played it they added a mode that is no less difficult, but removes a ton of grind. So maybe it’s a bit better now. But honestly the unchanging nature of your characters bothers me waaaay more.

• shadowmarth says:

I should also say that this game feels somehow alarmingly close to being both my favorite game of all time, and my most hated game of all time. Dunno if that’s remotely useful. Regardless, I don’t think an expansion is going to do it for me. I will definitely have eyes on it when they get around to Darkest Dungeon 2 though.

3. Seafoam says:

A bit on the nose with the whole “The Color Out of Space” thing don’t you think?

The Crimson Court was brilliant for using mosquitoes as vampires instead of bats. I loved the theme! It felt like a fresh new take on vampires.

I haven’t seen much of the expansion yet, so I hope they go deeper than “spooky alien skull crystals” and add some kind of funky twist.

• k41namor says:

Well the name of the DLC is “The Colour Of Madness”. “The Colour out of Space” is Lovecrafts original work the DLC is based on.

IMO they have done great with the horror and lore end of things. I have pretty good faith in their work at this point. Now we just need the same devs to make a graphic novel or anything. I love the style of this game.

Comment on this story