Rafting adventure The Flame in the Flood is free today

The Flame in the Flood

Is it any wonder that people are struggling to sell games when everyone and their dog is just throwing lovely free stuff at us? This time, they even threw in the dog to sweeten the deal. Apocalyptic rafting survival adventure The Flame in The Flood is free for the next 48 hours (minus a couple) via the Humble store, and you should probably pick it up while the going’s good.

Noted survivor of the great flood Philippa Warr went and reviewed the game┬áback when it launched in 2016. Once she’d figured out how to keep afloat (to to speak) and balance the protagonist’s need for food and other resources, it became perhaps a little too comfortable to be a convincing game about survival. That said, it’s still absolutely lovely looking, and if you give it a chance it can eat up hours of your time. Just don’t go expecting anything wildly deep.

While the basic management aspects of the game may be a little lightweight, it’s hard to deny just how satisfyingly tactile the whole thing is. Every item on your raft is a physical item, and your inventory’s size is determined by just how neatly and securely you can strap everything down. The highly stylized animals roaming the floodlands are also especially intimidating, with wolves looking gnarled, jagged and practically alien, and the bears are the size and density of a small truck.

This giveaway (grab the game here) heralds the start of Humble’s big Spring Sale, which is running from now until May 24th. This sale features a little gimmick, too – every $5 spent (after an initial freebie just for visiting) nets you a token, and at 3 and 5┬átokens, you’re rewarded with some extra free goodies. A second set of rewards will be available from May 17th, too.

Top comments

1. Decimae says:

If I understand correctly, you can get stamps for free by visiting every day, not just once.

The site does say: "Collect a stamp for every $5 you spend on the Humble Store or each daily visit to the Store Home Page!", so you'd be able to get Millenium and Whispering Willows for free if you consistently visit their site.
  1. Decimae says:

The site does say: “Collect a stamp for every $5 you spend on the Humble Store or each daily visit to the Store Home Page!”, so you’d be able to get Millenium and Whispering Willows for free if you consistently visit their site.

2. racccoon says:

Cool free game or not so free. :(
    is it free, as I never go to the humble store.

3. Morty says:

GO GET THIS GAME. Yeah, it might not be all that deep, but what’s there is choice.

4. mac4 says:

It’s atmospheric alright. Had been on my (not-so urgent) wishlist ever since I read a review here (probably one of Pip’s, then). Happy to have it now :) The first half hour or so didn’t disappoint and was pretty much what I’d expected. I suppose having a thing for Americana can’t hurt.

is it free, as I never go to the humble store.

What would you have us do, tell you yes so you can go and take a peek?

5. beleester says:

I wasn’t a fan of this – the gameplay is basically half filling bars and half crafting. It’s the distilled essence of Every Survival Game Ever. Nice graphics, though.

6. ARandomBob says:

Probably late on this, but the music alone is worth an hour or two of play. This game really knows how to set a mood. It really brings you in. I haven’t replayed it after I beat it, but it’s worth one run. It’s a game that really really grabbed me. I made a account just to try and get people to try it.

Comment on this story