Watch 10 mins of Risk Of Rain 2, oddly set in a desert

risk-Of-Rain-2-headerreal

When I look at how long all of my friends have spent playing co-op platform shooter Risk Of Rain, a roguelike about biffing alien bads, I see a list divided. Maybe half have put in a few hours. Maybe they, like me, enjoyed the bullet-hell combat and setting down a seemingly endless path of item and character unlocks – but found that path guarded by enemies that felt too punishingly difficult.

The other half have anywhere from 20-40 hours in the game, and I’m jealous of their perseverance. From hearing some of them talk about it, I’ve missed out. So hopefully I’ll be less intimidated by the time Risk Of Rain 2 comes out, which attempts to transplant the same formula into 3D. Based on the 10 minutes of pre-alpha footage the devs just released, it looks like they’re succeeding.

Note that the character being played here is the Huntress, who automatically targets enemies so she can focus on running while she’s gunning.

I’m into it. There are some satisfying moments where an ability ping pongs between multiple enemies, and I’m always a fan of teleporty-dodges. That there Clay Dunestrider is a cutie, too, with its robo-googly eyes and spidery shadow tentacles. I look forward to blowing it up, though I would say those abilities along the top of the screen (which I can’t help but think of as relics thanks to Slay the Spire) seem a bit dull. All of the ones that get picked up seem to revolve around giving you health when X happens, which is fine but hardly playstyle changing.

Perhaps that’ll change as the game gets closer to release. In a recent blog post, devs Hopoo Games say they’re done with the core of the game and now plan on filling it with new stuff:

“With the core systems in place we are able to start designing new content that adds new layers on top of the existing loop for RoR1. We want to make sure that there is a lot of fresh new content that adds to the fun, and we are holding ourselves to a higher standard of game design than in our previous games. We are trying our best to make sure there isn’t a lot of filler items or monsters.”

There’s no word on a release date, but the devs do mention that they’re starting to think about a small alpha, which you’ll be able to sign up for via a website that doesn’t exist yet. Soz.

1. Evan_ says:

I’m having a weird last century nostalgia.. Can’t recall the last time when a sequel meant that they converted a previously working 2D game to 3D.

2. DrBomb says:

Risk of Rain was such a big game for me, I’ve played it hours and hours and never got tired of it. I hope they really do well with this iteration.

• Flopdong says:

I hope they do a better job of supporting the game post-release this time around. I really enjoyed risk of rain, but I stopped playing after awhile because the game always crashed on the final boss if you were playing local coop, which is the only way I played. After the 4th or 5th time my friends and I made it to the boss just to see the game crash yet again, I got pretty discouraged.

3. ran93r says:

That looks suitably mental, really looking forward to this.

4. Kefren says:

I held off buying Risk of Rain for ages because the screenshots and videos looked so messy, and I don’t like games with no downtime. But I really got into it and played it a lot. I’m pretty sure I must have completed it a few times. Eventually I stopped noticing the graphics and got better at being able to recognise what was going on without so much eyestrain (though I still got a bit of it!) Anyway, cool game, and somehow the aesthetic slightly reminded me of Black Magic on the C64. link to lemon64.com

To be honest, I very much doubt I’d play the sequel. I really dislike third-person games, and it is very rare that I can face them. I completed Witcher 3 _in spite of_ the third person view, and it was one of the things that pulled me out of immersion the most. The video above reminds me more of games like Crash Bandicoot (I was glad to get rid of my PS1 and go back to PC games). Still, I was proved wrong by the first game, so who knows?

• TimePointFive says:

lol.

• Purplelapsang says:

Simular experience here. Really love Risk of rain. Steam tells me I have played it for 139 hours. I find it oddly relaxing to play. But why did they have to pick my least favorite visual perspective for the sequal? Hope they can pull it off.

5. mitrovarr says:

Count me in as a person who tried the original, and bounced off. Like so many other post-Isaac roguelites, it seemed to think the thing BoI was missing was an even more psychotic, unapproachable level of difficulty.

• bl4ckrider says:

Risk of Rain is one of those Rogue…whatever games that did progression right. You unlocked more, you got further, it got easier, you were able to beat it.

Most games of that genre think a punishing difficulty is the main selling point, when smart progression would be much better.

6. Poolback says:

There’s coop ?

How would that work ? You wait for your friends in a lobby to start a permadeath run ? That could be interesting.

• Pillygram says:

That’s essentially it. Risk of Rain (the first) was meant to be played in a single sitting, I’m unsure if there’s even a save option for the single player mode.

7. Ubik2000 says:

Played a lot of this game and enjoyed it, but I eventually realized that my successful runs usually revolved around getting items that would deal damage autonomously. Inevitably by the last stage I was hardly ever actually attacking or using my abilities, I was just piloting my little ball of death around and waiting until everything around it died.

Which is its own kind of fun, certainly. But the early stages that actually depend on using your characters abilities end up feeling more like how the game should be played.

8. vahnn says:

The first game was fantastic, I lost many, many hours to it. But this… I don’t know if this looks fun. I’ll probably try it anyway.

9. wackazoa says:

Im gonna be honest, I didn’t know Risk of Rain had an ending. I have it on my Vita for when Im traveling or at the parents house and wasting time (came in very useful when my washing machine broke and had to do laundry at my parents for a few months last year), but in my 40-50 hours of playing it Im not sure I have ever gotten past the 3 or 4th level. Not that I care, mind you, the game is silly fun and the music is really nice so playing the game is just a easy going experience for me*. But the way the game throws more at you the longer you play has kind of kept me from progressing further in. Absolutely will check out this sequel if its on the Switch.

*Im only 34, but I have long since given up on beating any game that doesn’t have traditional story progression. Risk of Rain, Binding of Isaac, Gungeon, Nuke Throne… Im never gonna beat those games. So to me they are just time wasters. Very good time wasters.

10. Xelos says:

Em… Am I missing something? Because it looks incredibly boring to me? Like an MMO?

• p2mc28 says:

The gameplay loop is this:

Pick a character – they have various abilities (like a moba hero).

Then you just… kill things in an endless loop. Gather money, use money to open chests in a level, gain powerups. Activate the portal which summons a boss. Kill boss and the waves of baddies, teleport to new level. Repeat ad infinitum.

The fun basically comes from gaining power and slaughtering the endless and increasingly powerful horde. If that’s not your cup of tea, then oh well, there’s plenty of other games out there!

But this game is a blast with friends. Especially if you enjoy a challenge. A touch like the Left 4 Dead, Vermintide, etc. games on the harder difficulties, but with an arcadey, powertrip feel.

11. Viral Frog says:

I loved Risk of Rain. I believe I have around 30 hours or so in it. Absolutely one of my favorites, I still dive in from time to time.

This actually has me pretty excited. That gameplay looked interesting enough. I’m excited to see how this one shapes up. I’ll have to keep an eye out for that potential alpha sign up.

12. FairyNuff says:

Hope it has a great soundtrack like the first.

13. kalzekdor says:

It doesn’t look terrible, but Risk of Rain was best at couch co-op. Granted, that’s at least partially due to terrible netcode, but it was still one of those games that at its best had everyone shouting at each other as chaos unfolded on the screen. Not sure how well that’ll work in the new third-person style.

14. racccoon says:

Obviously this is becoming a trend low graphics game development.
    I could say its because the game dev does not have one good modeller or graphic guy/gal on their team. As I do not know what the team is made of, it points to trend.

15. Kitsunin says:

I didn’t like Risk of Rain. Not because of the difficulty, it honestly wasn’t that bad, and the progression was really good. It was just really repetitive and slow relative to other games, I felt. Cycle cooldowns, move when attacked, choose what to buy. That was basically all there was to it.

16. JiminyJickers says:

Looks fun. Didn’t play too much of Risk of Rain 1 but did really enjoy it. I guess local co op is no longer a thing.

17. panasoni0 says:

Здравствуйте , я большой любитель это игры, про то что выйдет 2 часть было давно сказано, я на самом деле ждал ее и надеюсь что увижу что то новое, но всегда встает вопрос, на сколько все будет оптемизированно и какие будут требования от ПК, я обладатель достаточно слабого ПК и мне это интересно в первую очередь, ведь я не смогу пройти стороной 2 часть игры которая меня засосала в себя и заставила полюбить своим контентом , спасибо вам за продолжение и надеюсь что увижу много нового, а не то что приелось глазу за долгий срок!!!

Comment on this story