Video: How does Two Point Hospital compare to Theme Hospital?

two point hospital

Do no harm, goes the Hippocratic Oath. So it’s with trepidation that I approach Two Point Hospital, a spiritual successor to Theme Hospital that could all too easily do harm to fond childhood memories of Bullfrog’s heal ‘em up. Thankfully, Alec’s recent visit to these shiny new wards have put my mind at rest – it sounds like the team has successfully transplanted the heart of that game, but grafted on smart quality of life improvements (to muddle my medical metaphors). And now you can see it all in action in one handy video.

In his ten minute walkthrough, Dr Meer takes us from an empty husk of a building to a slightly less empty husk with some expensive equipment inside. He also hires a janitor who doubles as a ghostbuster. Ten minutes isn’t enough to get a mammoth hospital on the go, but you will see the construction of some lovely toilets and observe the drastic treatment of a man with a lightbulb for a head. In case you are new to the whole Theme Hospital thing: no, this is not a serious medical simulator.

For a game that is technically at alpha stage, Two Point Hospital is looking remarkably confident and slick. Alec raises a few concerns in his written preview – so do go peruse that, too – but for a general sense of how it’s holding together, just click that play button below. Do it if only to listen to the calming background music. If real hospitals sounded this good, I would probably injure myself more often.

Please do subscribe to the RPS YouTube channel for more of this kind of thing.

1. Theroux says:

I still go back and play theme hospital every couple of years, my wife finds my love for it bizarre, and I kinda get why. She’ll enter the room and I’m variously shooting things, beating up thugs, hurling fireballs or conquering the world, maybe building a dungeon and then… I’m picking up janitors and dropping them on vomit.

Anyway I’m more excited for this than anything in recent memory, though cautiously so as I never fully clicked with War for the Overworld even though it is everything I hoped for and yet intangibly less fulfilling than going back to Dungeon Keeper… maybe I’ll give it another go soon.

(addendum: I got KeeperFX to work for the first time a few days ago, bliss)

• BathroomCitizen says:

How’s KeeperFX? I once remember downloading it, but never tried it.

• SomeDuderr says:

It’s absolutely fantastic, and I say this as someone who’s still proudly displaying the orgiginal Dungeon Keeper boxes on a shelf in the livingroom.

• Theroux says:

Its mostly the original DK you know and love working smoothly with windows with support for higher resolutions and the scroll wheel working for zoom (which might have already been a thing but in my memory wasn’t).

2. RaymondQSmuckles says:

This is the type of game I want to play in AR/VR. This overhead, god-view looking down at a tiny hospital, picking up people and putting down rooms. It would be such a delight.

3. varangian says:

Anyone know if this runs on Linux either out of the box or as a future update? The Steam store page only says it needs a 64bit CPU and OS and everything else is TBC at time of writing.

4. Someoldguy says:

Looks good. My only wish that isn’t visible currently would be for multilevel building design rather than everything playing out on a single floor. That way I can have fun designing hospitals based on genuine floorplans.

• Theroux says:

I’ve played Theme Hospital for most of my life and its never occurred to me how weird it is that its all on the ground floor.

5. milligna says:

Would prefer better writers to video content, but then – who wouldn’t? There are too many conspicuous gaps in current RPS, video ain’t one of em.

6. DuncUK says:

I love the fact that this recreates the feel of Theme Hospital and will be immediately recognisable. That said, I want the game be be more than just a recreation with a bit of a re-skin. I want separate A&E departments, multi-tier hospitals, a better approach to training and research (i.e. something more than just “put people in a room”) etc. I’d also like a game that made you properly deal with shift patterns instead of having staff that never go home, although I appreciate that’s tricky to do well and not just come across as busywork.

Comment on this story