Horizon Chase Turbo is bringing Amiga-style racing back

Horizon Chase Turbo

Only ’90s kids (mostly European ones at that) will remember Gremlin Interactive’s Top Gear 2. A zippy little arcade racer with a great soundtrack, a wonky Mega Drive port, and surprisingly sassy cars. After seeing the trailer for Horizon Chase Turbo, which launched yesterday, I had to double-check just to make sure that my suspicions were correct; this is a modern remake/spiritual successor to Top Gear, right down to its talkative automobiles. No Jeremy Clarkson in sight, you’ll be glad to hear.

From the looks of things, Horizon Chase Turbo nails the look and sound of this very specific era of racing games. Gradient-heavy backdrops, track-side objects whizzing past at improbable speeds, and crashes merely slowing your car as it pirouettes through the air, before allowing you to resume your dash to the finish line.

It looks like a pretty sizable chunk of retro-styled racing, too. 109 tracks across 48 environments isn’t a figure to be sniffed at, even if we should realistically expect to see quite a few repeated styles and backgrounds.

The PC version even features split-screen multiplayer for up to four players. Once a horribly pixel-dividing, framerate-crushing feature back in the day, it’s a far more palatable option for modern systems running at high resolutions. Honestly, it’s surprising that so few games offer the option on PC, where we’re more likely to have the GPU grunt to spare to drive four player viewscreens.

Disappointingly, it appears there’s no online multiplayer functionality at present. It seems that anyone looking for human competition will have to find it closer to home. There is, at least, a decent range of single-player modes to go through, including what looks like a classic old-school globe-trotting campaign.

Horizon Chase Turbo is out now on Steam & Humble for £15.49/$20.

1. capn.lee says:

i bought this yesterday and really enjoy it, you can play the campaign in split screen mode with all points and unlocks taken from the highest ranking player.
    That’s something I wish more games did

2. GolfAMV says:

You had me at ‘Amiga’

3. Guvornatwo says:

What’s the difference between this and the phone version?

4. damaki says:

I would love the stupid futuristic and upgradable cars from Top Gear 3000. How one cannot love a game with jumping cars? But Top Gear, Top Gear 2 and Lotus Turbo Challenge were fine too.

5. Chrithu says:

I always disliked Top Gear. I much prefered Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge.

• PostieDoc says:

This, Lotus and Lotus 2 were by far the best racers on the Amiga.

6. The_Hunter says:

It’s a very simple racer. There are a lot of cars and tracks, but it lacks the tight controls and challenge of Top Gear and Outrun.

I’m a few cities in, and I don’t think I’ve ever had to use the brakes.

Not bad, but you can definitely tell it started life as a more casual mobile game…

7. trevizor says:

The top gear franchise was huuuuuuuge in Brazil. It took me a while to understand that it was not worldwide. I’ve played horizon with my friends last night and the coop was truly amazing. nice job to the team :)

8. Mcshufts says:

Was more into Crazy Cars 3 myself.

• something says:

Now we’re talking! Did it not bug you though, that the cars were not remotely crazy?

9. April March says:

That’s a very pretty way to modernize those graphics.

10. try2bcool69 says:

I guess you’ve never heard of OutRun, which pre-dated Top Gear 2 by nearly a decade?

• damaki says:

Top Gear is a multi player circuit racing game. You race against your friend and some opponents.
      OutRun is a single player open road game with no opponents.
      I do not get your point, mate.

11. Ejia says:

I quite enjoyed Top Gear the first on the Super Famicom, both on my own and with friends. As I only played 2 and 3000 on an emulator years later, my memories of them weren’t nearly as fond.

A similar racing game on PC would feel a bit cramped for local multiplayer now, I think, as I don’t have a large TV to attach it to or multiple controllers.

12. Ham Solo says:

I quite enjoyed the mobile title of that sries that came out a few years ago, might get this one too.