Handyman ’em up House Flipper released

The thrills, chills, and plaster fills of DIY have come to PC today in House Flipper. The daddification of video games not quite being at the point where we get games about dads replacing fuses or painting the nursery, House Flipper puts a small business spin on DIY by having us renovate and fix-up houses for clients or so we can sell ’em on for big bucks. Knock through walls! Plaster! Paint! Rewire! Refit! Renovate! Tidy! Make your fortune! As a Viscera Cleanup Detail esports professional, I am delighted by the idea – though I can’t help but wish this first-person handymaner were multiplayer and a bit more dynamic.

So! We’ve set up as a handyman. At first, we do tasks for clients–repair this, repaint that–but eventually save up enough to start buying homes to renovate and resell. There are many potential tasks to do, though sadly a lot of them come down to holding a mouse button in the right spot.

To fit a radiator, drop it in place then hold the mouse to tighten nuts. To paint, hold the mouse button while a roller fills in a pre-defined strip of wall. To mop muck, aim and hold the mouse button until it’s gone. To pick up rubbish, click and it’ll instantly vanish. It largely continues in the same way, though I do enjoy clicking and dragging a squeegee to clean streaks across windows.

To be clear, House Flipper doesn’t have the physics and particle-driven nonsense that makes Viscera Cleanup such a wonderful comedy of errors. Walk into a pot of paint and you won’t kick it over or leaving painty footprints. Nothing is lobbed with ha-ha-hilarious consequences.

I’ve played through a few House Flipper jobs and yeah, it doesn’t quite hit the same spot for me. But I shouldn’t expect it to be the same. It does let you repair and renovate homes, ticking off tasks and leaving them fancier and cleaner than before, and that’s still quite nice. And I suppose you could have a lark making horrible houses.

House Flippers is out now on Steam for £13.94/€15.11/$17.99, a price which includes a 10% launch discount. It’s developed by Empyrean together with Car Mechanic Simulator devs Red Dot Games, and published by PlayWay and Frozen District.

1. Chiron says:

Perfect for the millennial in your life who’ll never own a home.

Hopefully Yard Work simulator is next.

2. Turkey says:

DJ House Flipper.

3. racccoon says:

Sorry not liking this game.
    Its the reason why the minority of teens, adults, are stuck below the poverty line and can not afford the over inflated rent or even think about buying a over inflated home, because of flippers.
    Flippers go around messing up the real estate by forcing over inflated prices while they hold back 30 to 100 houses in their ownership name empty just to help with that inflation increase.
    Flippers want more for their cheap buys and they aren’t fixing up the neighbourhood at all, they are messing with it.
    Flippers may gain wealth, the landslide is it causes loss of value in young adults who along with many other people struggling to cope with keeping a job, staying alive, eating and having a place to call home end up in poverty.
    Flipping houses is not good for the economy as it causes a knock on effect further down the poverty line eventually seeing more homeless lying in street as they’ve been knocked down through a over inflated society.
    So sod the flippers.

4. Gomer_Pyle says:

Looks interesting, kind of reminds me of
    this flash game I used to play:

link to shockwave.com

5. spacedyemeerkat says:

Christ, they’re installing those lethal US plug sockets.

6. Chorltonwheelie says:

STOP!
    Before buying this begin to imagine the thrill of sorting out a shit tip of a house IN REAL LIFE!
    I can make that happen for you…yes really!
    Send me a pm….I’ll only charge £100 for the experience of a lifetime. First come, first served.

7. fish99 says:

This game makes decorating seem ridiculously quick and painless. A tiny bit more realism would actually make the game a lot more compelling IMO.

• GrumpyCatFace says:

Agreed. I don’t think there’s actually a fail state in this game. But I can’t stop playing it….

8. Neurotic says:

Red Dot, ah haaaaa. That explains why I have Car Mechanic Sim flashbacks when I’m putting the showers together. :D