No Man’s Sky adding multiplayer in July

Colourful space explore-o-survival sandbox No Man’s Sky will add multiplayer with the free ‘Next’ update in July, developers Hello Games announced today. Spacemen will get to explore together, wander together, pootle together, fly together, race together, battle together, build bases together, bump into each other around space, and even murder each other if they’re feeling monstrous. Ah, time to dust off the ol’ spaceship and round up some pals for an intergalactic nature hike.

“This is something that I wish we could have done sooner, but I’m so glad it’s happening,” Hello Games co-founder Sean Murray told Microsoft’s Xbox Insider in a vidblast out today. “We’ve been playtesting it in the studio for the past six months, it’s a really different experience. No Man’s Sky can be a bit mysterious, a bit weird at times, and also sometimes a little bit lonely, because it’s sci-fi and I love that side of right. This is very different. It’s more Battlestar, it’s Star Trek away team, it’s fun and funny and emergent and kind of intense.”

Hello Games plan to launch No Man’s Sky’s Next update on July 24th, alongside the game’s Xbone release. I’ve little interest in the survival side of No Man’s Sky but I certainly am up for wandering and exploring its pretty planets with pals, building bases in scenic spots, and chasing each other in spaceships. A vast galaxy of multiplayer walking simulators with wacky wildlife? I’ll get my spacehiking boots.

If you’ve not played No Man’s Sky in a fair while, do check out what Rich McCormick thought when he revisited it to see how updates have changed the game.

Disclosure: our own Alec Meer wrote some words for No Man’s Sky earlier in development.

1. Optimaximal says:

As much as I want NMS to fulfil it’s vast promise, can they push past the bad blood that happened last time a platform holder intervened in the game and its direction?

2. Nelyeth says:

No Man’s Sky story is starting to look way too much like a stereotypical anime plot. Everything’s here: the promised saviour, the sudden reveal about him actually being a villain, the epic fight against him won thanks to the power of friendship refunds, him being slowly forgotten because of the appearance of a new drEAdful villain, then his reappearance in a redemption arc.

I want to hate Hello Games for their initial lies as much as I want to applaud them for sticking through it to make NMS what it was supposed to be, instead of burying it in a shallow grave and renaming their studio.

• Mr. Unpleasant says:

“sticking through it to make NMS what it was supposed to be”

A worthy Starflight successor adapted to the 21st century? TIE-Fighter and Star Control 2 rolled into one? A Freelancer/Elite-em-up with planets?
      Oh…a survival crafting walking simulator.

• dontnormally says:

> TIE-Fighter and Star Control 2 rolled into one?

I never knew how much I wanted this.

> a survival crafting walking simulator.

I was already aware how much I wasn’t really into this.

Kiwilolo says:

I know this game was overhyped, but what in the marketing made you think it would be a fully fledged space fighting game? It seemed like the focus was always on the planets.

• Mr. Unpleasant says:

The way the game was marketed no one really knew what it was about until shortly before release. And among the few things they did show was impressive fleet action akin to TIE Fighter.
          Check out the official marketing “screenshots” they still use everywhere to advertise this game:
          link to amazon.com

• Mr. Unpleasant says:

Official “gameplay” video. Huge fleets of warships, Carriers jumping in and releasing fighters, you flying among your squad, dogfighting enemy fighters in space and high atmosphere.
          I mean sure, the planets were the main thing but I got the impression it would be akin to “House of the Dying Sun” or at least like Everspace.

3. Jokerme says:

Wait a second, I thought NMS already had multiplayer. Only reason we couldn’t see others was because the game universe so huge! Right? RIGHT?

Oh, wait. They were just lying and they still have the face say things like “This is something that I wish we could have done sooner, but I’m so glad it’s happening.”

• Arcturan Megadonkey says:

It’s as if millions of procedurally generated alien orphans suddenly rolled their eyes. I fear something terribly cliché has just been written. — Dark Helmet.

• Inkano says:

But didn’t they already made multiplayer real in previous update?

4. Astaa says:

10/10 for effort at the end of the day.

The scam is still going.

• Hoot says:

Have you ever carried a lie way past it’s end point so that eventually you’ve convinced everyone who cares, and also yourself, that what you said was actually the truth?

Sean Murray has. And you can’t stop him.

5. Bladderfish says:

If they’d ever apologised for the blatant lies they’d told when hyping the game, I’d applaud them for sticking with the game and patching and patching it. A small twitter comment would have been enough.

As it is, liars shouldn’t prosper, especially those who can’t admit they lied.

• Hoot says:

Check my other comments and you will see that I firmly agree with you, but…it’s late and I’ve no idea why but I’ve had a think after watching that video and come to a “maybe” conclusion.

Maybe. Maybe Sean Murray is just that socially inept that when he was asked the questions pre-release he just went nuclear internally and could only smile and say yes. I mean he looked pretty uncomfortable through that whole video above, and he isn’t the greatest orator. I think the guy said “Well…like…you know…like…” about 50 times.

I’ve come to believe that originally maybe the guy was just so unused to talking in front of a camera/publicly that his brain went into meltdown mode and once the first misspoken words had slipped from his lips panic took over and he could only propagate the unintentional lie and hope he could live up to it before launch. We’ve all been there. Said something wrong and been too embarrassed to just stop the shit and come clean.

Maybe. I mean him and his team have worked on the game for 2 years post release, no DLC paid model, no other IP work in progress.

Fuck it. Maybe my other comments stand and I’ve been awake too long.

• Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

I will never buy for a second that he just screwed up his speech multiple times, at multiple interviews (look up “New Disappointment Discovered” on Youtube – he has a very solid, at least, basically coached stance in his vague wording, which is not something any anxious on public person could have control over). At the very least, he was smart enough to never use the blatant answers “No, no, we don’t have it”, when promoting their game.
        If you want to see how real socially inept persons act on public, then you need to look up Michael Bay at Samsung resentation (strong “vicarious shame” warning!)
        He did find the guts to admit and apologize for his screw up in written letter to the public and do what he’s paid for by his customer (Samsung, that is)

All that said, HG team still should be congratulated for amending their representative’s massively misleading initial marketing and releasing several big updates to give people back some of the promises Sean vaguely gave during the hype period.

6. Neurotic says:

Do I really want bloody multiplayer in my NMS? Not really, but I acknowledge that people do. *grumble grumble*

7. Faldrath says:

I tried to give NMS a chance after all the updates, but I can’t get past how atrocious the space flight still is. Which is kind of a huge deal in a space game.

8. qrter says:

I’ve really enjoyed my time with No Man’s Sky, I must’ve put over 60 hours in. For me it’s the perfect game to play while watching tv/listening to podcasts, just to relax. Even after all that time, I would still chance upon some gorgeous planets, and there was enough to do to keep me interested.

The only thing that I really disliked was the original story of the game, and the added story quests of the last big update – the concept behind the game is just cliched crap.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

The idea that you “live” in a simulation is the sci-fi “twist” of the moment – it’s lazy and it’s awful, a real turn off for me. The amount of films/books/games that feature this stupid twist is just ridiculous.
    END OF SPOILERAGE

• bacon seeker says:

SPOILER ALERT: yeah the end of Prey put me into a full rage. I hope the DLC takes a different approach. XCom2 also sort of ruined XCom1 by doing this.

• Mr. Unpleasant says:

Came to read about NMS spoilers. Instead got the game spoiled I was excited to play next :’D

• dontnormally says:

Sorry about that.

Please do still play Prey, though – it is amazing.

• Mr. Unpleasant says:

Haha I will, I don’t get mad about spoilers. I’m more of a “the journey is the destination” guy. Bull0’s comment is still a little funny and spot on.

• Bull0 says:

SPOILER ALERT: (Spoiler for something else entirely)

Don’t do that

• SaintAn says:

I hate dream sequences and simulations, but I actually like the Xcom 2 simulation to explain Xcom 1.It was a great way to retcon the events of the first.

• Rosveen says:

Count me among the people dismayed about having Prey spoiled for them. I’ll live, but please, next time don’t spoil a completely different game than expected.

• FunkyB says:

(XCOM 2 SPOILERS, I GUESS, IF YOU REALLY CAN SPOIL SUCH A THING)

Hang on hang on hang.

I’ve played many hundreds of hours of XCOM 2, and this is the first I heard of this. So do you mean that the idea of the battles they were forcing the Commander to process “was” XCOM 1? I can see that interpretation, but I think it doesn’t work. I figured that you lost XCOM 1, the Commander was captured, and they are using the Commander’s tactical knowledge to their advantage. Bradford knows you from before, remember, so XCOM 1 must have existed.

9. bacon seeker says:

I got a bit of a No Man’s Sky vibe from playing Subnautica, in terms of the alien ruins, different biomes, and general alien-ness of the plant and animal life. Although I liked Subnautica much better, probably because it felt handcrafted rather than procedurally generated.

• Bull0 says:

Subnautica is 1000 times the game NMS is. Really very good indeed

• Untruth says:

NMS had me turn off within 20 minutes, Subnautica had me not put the game down for a month from the second I woke up in the capsule.

I think Subnautica is a good example of how contained, well designed worlds can feel as massive and overwhelming as the mythical procedural mecca of NMS. It’s a masterpiece of human design (although the later biomes are a bit dodgy) and NMS is a failure of automation.

Subnautica’s “perception of distance” changed as you played more and more of the game, solved ingeniously by having limited craft capabilities. To me this was a simple solution to a problem NMS boiled the ocean trying to solve.

• SaintAn says:

But the one thing Subnautica needs is a procedurally generated world, because once you’re done with the game you know where everything is and the unknown isn’t unknown so it’ not terrifying anymore.

• DuncUK says:

But… exploring procedurally generated worlds just isn’t fun?

• modzero says:

There are literally Julia Set Explorers that were a somewhat popular application even way back in the nineties. People do enjoy those. So apparently yes, there’s fun there, even if not for you, and even if I personally prefer a (largely — AFAIK modern games often involve procedural generation in places) hand-crafted world.

• Untruth says:

I can confidently say, it wouldn’t be fun. I even eventually memorised where the seaweed was, where to hide. Individual caves. It has stunning level design for much of the map.

And Subnautica reflects reality – the feeling of familiarity and safety by the end is amazing. You want more gameplay? The game needs to be bigger to do that – it’s hardly a flaw that a game has a limited map.

And Subnautica is hardly small… it sucked hours of my time.

10. Zaxwerks says:

As long as (short of pulling my internet connection) there’s a way of turning off the multiplayer aspect, or as least limiting it I’ll be happy, I haven’t got the time or patience to have to start to deal with griefers.

11. DoomBroom says:

Make a decent VR version of it and I’ll buy it in an instant. There’s a whole community of players out there just waiting for it to happen: link to reddit.com

12. Sargonite says:

I feel like every update they release pushes the game further from what I hoped it was and closer to some generic mass-market product designed to try to earn goodwill. I never thought there would be multiplayer and never wanted it. I hope it’s at least avoidable without needing to disconnect from the internet, not MMO-like.

Ditto for base-building (who the hell wants to build a base in a game about exploring the galaxy?? Also Starbound devs, calling you out here for making the ship less viable than ground bases) and land rovers. Hell, even from the start, all that crafting was just pointless and overwhelming.

I just want a pretty, solo galactic exploration game with wonderful worlds and creatures, cool spaceships, and dynamic events and NPCs. NMS flirted with that, then chased after the multiplayer-crafting-sandbox crowd instead. Sigh.

That said, at least the freighters they added are cool and have potential.

• Robert The Rebuilder says:

I was initially against base building, but the ability to warp between your base and any system’s space station was incredibly useful. You’ll need a stock pile of equipment beyond what your ship can store, and bases can provide a ton of that. Plus, you can create a farm of necessary resources. Finally, the base has its own series of quests, so there’s extra content for you.

And you’ll absolutely need a freighter in order to reach the galaxy’s center.

13. Bull0 says:

Urgh, Murray is doing media appearances again? No thanks, younger, bearded, just as smug Molyneux knock off

14. Ham Solo says:

Too little, too late. Not buying it.

Drib says:

But when do we get a Battle Royale mode?

16. causticnl says:

so many neckbeards in the comments

17. Ben King says:

Ok, I’m already working on an unbeatable PvP strategy: Run into cave, dash around a corner, terrain manipulate a wall between me and the other player, then tunnel out and book it back to my clunky hauler. I definitely didn’t rip off this idea from a D&D session where the wizard used Stone Shape to hide the whole party in a crypt alcove while the dungeon baddies stormed past outside.

18. Chromatose says:

*Game ships without multiplayer*

“CURSE YOU SEAN MURRAY YOU LIED TO US, WHY COULD WE NOT GET MULTIPLAYER? WHYYYY”

“Okay, seeing as you all felt so strongly about having multiplayer, we will be adding it in a future update”

“WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE NOW? WHEN WILL THE LIES END, SEAN MURRAY? GAAAH”

• Ham Solo says:

He actually did lie, though. Implementing it 2 years after release should not be praised. “Wow, you actually delivered on one of the failed promises you made, only 2 years later.”

• DatonKallandor says:

I think you forgot the part where:
      *Sean Murray promises a host of features are in the game including multiplayer*

It goes right at the top. Before *adding it in a future update despite claiming the game totally does have multiplayer (among many other things it doesn’t have), right up to and even post-launch.*

• Chromatose says:

I wish I was that dedicated to hating on a man I didn’t know for eventually making good on claims he only alluded to in the first place.

• DatonKallandor says:

In what world is answering the explicit question of “is there multiplayer” with “yes” ‘only alluding to it’. He did that. On fucking Late Night TV. Multiple times.

• Chromatose says:

The question was “Will there be multiplayer?” to which Sean simply answered “Yes”. And there was. At launch, you could discover systems, planets, fauna and myriad other things and upload said discoveries, which other players could see. Voila, multiplayer.

Of course, that isn’t what videogaming’s angry peanut gallery considered multiplayer, so instead of reacting like rational people and conceding that making videogames is hard and Hello Games probably had to reduce scope mid-project, they got branded con artists and Sean Murray took the mantle from Peter Molyneux as Videogame Judas.

Anyway, allusion was probably the wrong term to use, but you get the picture.

• DatonKallandor says:

“can you run into other players in the game?” “Yes.”
            “how much interaction is there with other players?” “you could encounter other players as wingmen”
            “will you be able to play with your friends?” “yeah”

So ‘vague’. Clearly only the ‘angry peanut gallery’ could interpret those answers as confirmation of actual, proper multiplayer. (by the way, his answer to is his game an MMO? it was, predictably, “yes”)

People aren’t mad at him because he was vague, or even because he lied – they’re mad at him because he’s never admitted it. The fiirst step to forgiveness is asking for it, if you wanna get religious.

• Bull0 says:

This revisionist history about how it’s the game buying public’s fault that poor Sean Murray’s words were misinterpreted needs to stop, tbh. Either he knew full well he was pimping features that didn’t exist and wouldn’t exist, or he was totally fucking clueless about his project and shouldn’t have been out there promoting it.

• wummes says:

And still completely missing the goddamn point.

‘Butbutbut HE LIED LiE LYEEEsob !?!¡?’

There truly is nothing more revolting than a crying manchild.

• Hoot says:

But you are dedicated enough to leap to the defence of a man you have never met? Hmm. Strange.

Sorry to say but your definition of “allusion” is wrong, pal. You need to go back and re-watch the initial marketing videos for the release version. The poster up above has summed it up verbatim quite nicely. That’s about as far from an allusion as it gets.

• Chromatose says:

I’m not jumping to the defence of anybody. Hello Games is way more than just Angry Internet Men’s #1 Liar Judas Sean Murray. Vanilla NMS was pretty dull in a lot of ways. I just don’t understand how two years later everybody is so set on hating it because it didn’t fulfill their particular MMO Space Skyrim Fantasy (TM)

• Hoot says:

When the market is burned in this fashion, it has a long memory. NMS didn’t fulfil anyone’s MMO Space Skyrim Fantasy because in no way could it be classed as an MMO. It was a single-player, glorified walking simulator with threadbare mechanics. Being able to come across a planet some dude had named and uploaded to the games servers does not qualify as “multiplayer” in even the loosest sense of the word unless you are being purposely obtuse.

Hello Games is more than one man, but he was the public face and the guy that flat out lied to his customers. It’s £30 me and many others won’t get back because only after 5 hours of hopeful but disappointing game-play and battling through technical hangups on launch did we realise the game was shit.

Outright rage at this point is silly, and I doubt you’ll find that here, but not blindly jumping on the redemption train with Murray is perfectly OK.

19. Chaoslord AJ says:

That means they finally admit the game doesn’t have multiplayer as of now? It’s not like it’s very very rare to encounter someone?
    More like now implemented.
    Astounding.
    I’m not replaying however I’ll give them credit for still updating.

20. simakuutio says:

For me, No Man’s Sky is pretty obsolete when I’m enjoying Empyrion which fullfills all my needs and is also evolving pretty nicely frequently.
    If you haven’t tried it, I highly recommend to do so.

21. Honigsenf says:

Do it get coop multiplayer like with invitation to session or can i now really meet some other players randomly while flying thru space ?

22. Alberto says:

The charm this game has for me is the solitude and grand vistas only you see, before jumping on your ship for the next one. The plot is about being alone in a great universe, with aliens you struggle to understand.

I see the multiplayer appeal but I find it absolutely unnecesary for this game.

• Jernau Gurgeh says:

What you’ve described is what drew me into at and had me playing for 50 or more hours. I just wish there was more variety in planets and stations and critters, more reward for exploration, more baffling alien lore and interaction, more weirdness and wonderment – and less grindy resource gathering, crafting, survivalism and inventory juggling!

23. aircool says:

I can always find a moment to take a shit on this already huge pile of shit…

24. Hoot says:

Did this lying sack of shit buy that permanent smirk-o-grin from the “Trust Us, We Really Wouldn’t Lie To Your Face Twice!” shop?

I honestly couldn’t tell if I was watching pre-release material or material discussing a new patch. Didn’t he already say the game would have multiplayer before release? Oh, no that’s right, he didn’t. He just answered an unequivocal yes when asked directly if you could encounter and interact with other players.

Sorry for the harsh tone but this clown and his whole company should have been drummed out of the industry.

Will I bollocks buy another Hello Games product.

25. Captain Narol says:

Too many rude people with no brain in that thread, I’m happy we won’t have to cope with them in No Man’s Sky !!

26. Jernau Gurgeh says:

I played NMS on PS4 just after the first big update (Foundation, I think), and I mostly rather enjoyed it. It scratched that exploration and wonderment itch for me, and I loved its colourful art design.

Okay, so I found the mining and crafting all a bit grindy and the inventory Tetris a real chore, and its lack of variety in planets, flora and fauna a bit of a shame (especially in the audio department – every critter sounded like a pitch-shifted version of every other critter). The base-building was meh and not what I was looking for in the game and so I didn’t bother beyond the basics. Also a guide in the early game would’ve been very helpful, and some semblance of tracking your progress, but I’ve recently revisited it on PC and seen they’ve made vast strides in that department with the 2 major updates since I last played it.

SPOILERS:

My favourite thing was visiting the Atlas Stations. The strange and threatening geometric aesthetic of those places, with their massive mysterious liquidy shapes and oppressive scale, just hit the right note for me in that freaky old school sci-fi way. It’s the utterly alien throbbing shape that featured at the end of most trailers that drew me to the game, not the promised space combat or infinite worlds. I choose to follow the Atlas path, but was ultimately disappointed by the anti-climactic nature of doing so. I guess I was just hoping it would reveal something about the true nature of life, the universe and everything, that’s all. Not too much to ask of an indie video game really, is it?

Comment on this story