Age of Wonders: Planetfall takes the wonder to the stars

Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 10.16.28 AM

From the creators of Age of Wonders and Overlord, today we got the announcement of the new tactical-turn based combat strategy title Age of Wonders: Planetfall. The 4X empire building adventure will take the familiar gameplay elements and immersive tactical combat of previous titles, but into the stars this time! Unfortunately, you’ll have to wait until 2019 to do so. Look, can living in the super-future wait a year? I don’t think so either. I desire to leave this planet now. Paradox, I know that Sweden is more fun and accepting than where I’m trapped. Please. Please just send this my way.

There’s a tale of a broken galactic empire you’ll need to piece together, as you create your own House that strives to build prosperous colonies across the universe. Completely customization units and researching advanced devices will work together to help build your faction. As you might expect, conquest or diplomacy or doomsday technologies can all bring about you victory conditions. (And on a personal note, I think I’ve found exactly the way to scratch my Ascendancy itch.)

Here’s the better-goodword summary of this from Paradox themselves:

In Age of Wonders: Planetfall, players will emerge from the dark age of a fallen galactic empire to craft a new future for their people. Exploring the planetary ruins and encountering other surviving factions that have each evolved in their own way, players will unravel the history of a shattered civilization. Fight, build, negotiate and technologically advance the way to utopia, in a deep single player campaign, on random maps and against friends in multiplayer.

Check out the trailer below, to see what all the fuss is about.

Okay. Yeah. That shot of the monster on the broken up highway or whatever sold me. 4X Borderlands has my attention.

Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 10.16.33 AM

You can follow along with the game’s development on the Steam page, conveniently located here. You can also sign up for the official newsletter, which should bring you some in game rewards when the game launches in 2019.

More news from PDXCon 2018 will be coming throughout the weekend. Oh, I assure you, it will.

1. pack.wolf says:

I didn’t know how bad I wanted something like this, but boy do I now want something like this.
    In my mind this already is the worthy successor to Alpha Centauri I’ve been waiting for so long. For every other genre I’ve been cured of hype, but it seems for 4X I still haven’t managed that…

• Vacuity729 says:

Assuming it follows the models of previous Age of Wonders games, you’re going to be disappointed (or perhaps pleasantly surprised?) with that expectation.
      SMAC and AoW are really quite different takes on the 4X genre, with the latter focused very much on setting up and executing interesting turn-based tactical battles. It’s strategic layer is slightly, but not significantly, more complex than something like Total War’s, though the options for random maps is a big differentiating factor in this regard.

2. Horg says:

I’m going to miss the high fantasy setting, but the game does promise ”a large cast of races”, the hope for Space Tigrans is still alive.

3. Hoot says:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssss!

Shadow Magic and Age Of Wonders 3 are two of my favourite games of all time. So many enjoyable hours spent. As the chap above said, in lieu of a true sequel to Alpha Centauri (which is still brilliant today, if you can bear the ugly interface) I will take this. Please be good! :)

The only downside is that it’s published by Paradox. If they can keep their grubby little hands off the game and let the developers decide their own DLC schedule post release then I’m doubly excited.

• brucethemoose says:

I don’t mind Paradox’s DLC addiction.

Sure, it makes games expensive and a little half-baked at launch, but it means they continue getting built up long after release, even if you don’t buy any of the DLC.

• Vinraith says:

It’s developed by Triumph, you’ll likely see a pattern of DLC similar to AoW3. The DLC model you have an issue with is specific to Paradox Development Studio games.

• FriendlyFire says:

Some more recent games seem to follow the PDS formula even though they’re not developed by them. Colossal Order with Cities: Skylines is a good example (though their DLC is arguably worse than your typical PDS game’s even) and I expect Haemimont’s Surviving Mars at least will be following in those footsteps due to how barren it is right now.

4. Zenicetus says:

This could be good. I’m not expecting another Alpha Centauri, but it wouldn’t be hard to surpass Beyond Earth. The last AoW game was fun.

I’m just wondering how the strategic layer will work. Will it be on a star map like a typical space 4X game, or do you just jump to different planets and get a planet overview as the strategy layer, then zoom down to battles? If it’s a star map, they’ll have to solve the “lack of terrain” problem that plagues space 4X games, so I hope it’s planet-level strategy maps.

5. SaintAn says:

So disappointing to AoW fans. They’re using the AoW brand on a game that has noting to do with AoW and wasting time which should have been spent making a new AoW game. 3 years development, plus how ever many Paradox will have them pumping out butchered overpriced DLC, assuming the game doesn’t fail so bad they get shut down at launch.

Bet there won’t even be teraforming/terraform bombing, multiple map levels, cool overworld magic abilities, necromancy/druidism/other cool class types, or anything the series is known for.

Hope they prove me wrong, but as a fan I’m so damn disappointed.

• Bull0 says:

“as a fan”, you should probably wait to see a little more before writing it off. It reads like you’re just upset it’s got a sci-fi theme this time round

• Hoot says:

As a fan as well, I think Age of Wonders 3 scratches the itch perfectly. A fourth game following directly on from it would be kind of surplus to requirements, given that they did everything they wanted with AoW 3.

I’m pleased that they took a different approach, and God knows, we need another good sci-fi 4X game. Right now Endless Space 2 is pretty much it, given how shallow Stellaris still is 2 years after launch.

• Someoldguy says:

People need to learn to separate Paradox Interactive the publisher from Paradox Development Studio the developer that relies on a DLC heavy development model to extend the lifespan of their games significantly. PI are quite supportive of developers who don’t want to produce DLC beyond the first 15 months and move on to a new game.

6. Herkimer says:

Will Floyd be a playable character?

7. H. Vetinari says:

QFT!

I’m equally indifferent about ES2 and Stellaris – none of them grabbed me to play more than 5 games each.
    just by the comments from interwebs the public has been thirsty for Alpha Centauri successor for so long, that I’m genuinely baffled by the lack of trying to come up with one. beyond earth was just not it and although I enjoyed and played the shit out of Endless Legend (still do-it’s my go to 4x game) I still want to play a proper Sci-Fi 4x in the way of AC.

• jeffy777 says:

If you’ve played AOW3, it’s not really a “proper” 4X game, so I wouldn’t get your hopes up too high. It is fun, no doubt, but outside of the battles, the it’s a bit shallow in the 4X elements compared to the classics.

• Luaan says:

Making a game like Alpha Centauri is surprisingly tricky. It did so many things right, had so many well interacting game mechanics, great setting and writing… and was a bit niche. People quickly dismissed it as “sci-fi Civ”. Colonisation had a similar problem – it looks so much like Civ that many people didn’t even dive in to see that it’s pretty much nothing like Civ.

And I don’t know about you, but I still have no idea how to improve that game. It still works and looks great today, so a straight remake is mostly pointless. But do you have any ideas how to reinvent the game? Mind, I have a lot of concepts I’m playing around with on the topic of “colonising an alien planet”, but none of those would work well for an AC game.

I think this might also be why the AoW guys are giving this a try – AoW 3 is brilliant, and they probably ran out of meaningful things to add right now – they need some time off :P

8. H. Vetinari says:

started Tower of Time yesterday.
    I’m really having fun – it’s a proper party based action dungeon crawler.

Apparition says:

I really hope that this game sees release on GOG.com, not just Steam.

10. Peksisarvinen says:

Is this a reskin in SPAACE, like Beyond Earth was for CIV 5, or does it ACTUALLY do something different from Age of Wonders 3?

If former, don’t care. If latter, mildly curious, though I don’t see how I could find the time for another 4X alongside AoW 3, CIV 5 & Fallen Enchantress.

• jeffy777 says:

Looks like a desk in, but I could be wrong. I hope I am.

I enjoyed a few hours of AoW3, the battles specifically, but otherwise it lacks the depth that I look for in a 4X game.

11. satan says:

I could really go for another Overlord game.

12. Sargonite says:

So happy and excited to see this!

Age of Wonders 3 was one of the few 4X games where I actually cared for the combat system rather than just treating it like a nuisance, and that alone cements it as one my of favourites in the genre (the other being Endless Legend, which streamlines combat so much it’s essentially optional). I think the galactic post-apocalypse angle could be quite interesting too, and since AoW was kind of a fantasy kitchen sink I’m interested to see how they approach sci-fi tropes in this one. Not to mention the DLC for AoW3 was really solid.

Triumph have done great work, and this is now very high on my hype list.

13. Vacuity729 says:

I’ll basically act as an echo chamber for a lot of the other commenters here.
    Anything with an Age of Wonders title is not going to be a successor to Alpha Centauri; Age of Wonders games are much too focused on tactical combat, and the strategic layer is quite shallow as a result. Great games, just not the same as Alpha Centauri.
    Is this just Age of Wonders 3 with a sci-fi reskin? If it is, well, there’s Steam sales. If it’s got some interesting twists, then colour me excited.
    With regards to the DLC model; Paradox as a publisher don’t seem too pushy about the DLC model their own studio uses, so I’m not sure why people get so hot and bothered about it every time Paradox publishes someone else’s game.

14. zaygr says:

This is the sci-fi Heroes of Might and Magic game that we got teased with the official expansion of 3 that never came out the way it was announced. I think it’ll hinge on how interesting they make the unit variety and combat.

Comment on this story