Secret patch updates Prey with REM lyrics as achievements

Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 8.39.29 AM

I love to start the weekend off right. And by that, I mean seeing some fun video game news that makes me shout at my screen uncontrollably. Look, there’s no bigger fan of Prey than your boy Brock here. Heck, I’m a fan of all Preys. But now, it seems Michael Stipe is giving me a run for my money. While we already know that Prey is headed for a bit of a moonshot, the time for saying Good Morning, Morgan may be upon us sooner rather than later, because 150mb update just added 10 secret achievements, and maybe more?

The achievements have the logo of the Kasma Corporation, a rival to TranStar that got a very brief mention in the original game. The character of Eddie Voss admitted to defrauding them at one point. Mayhaps they are still upset about that? There’s a locked Twitter account for the Kasma Corporation right now, in addition to some information they’ve been hiding around the interwebs, including binary code in comments on NASA images of the Earth taken from the surface of the moon. Thanks to some reddit folks, we know that one of these include the phrase “The moon is a harsh mistress.” Another hidden set of data linked to the following gif:

Take a look at the locked achievements here:

q8HpjQ5

God. Damn. That just makes me laugh every single time I look at it. One of these days, Morgan: RIGHT TO THE MOON!

Please let us know if any of you figure out how to unlock the achievements ahead of time.

Also, if you’re thinking of taking Prey out for another spin before the new expansion, please consider throwing this lighting mod on first.

1. napoleonic says:

If you believe there’s nothing up Bethesda’s sleeve, then nothing is cool.

2. RedViv says:

I would never have guessed to look THERE. Andy Kaufman went into game design! WHO IS HE?

Earl-Grey says:

After all this time I finally see.
    Lord Custard Smingleigh was right, the moon can not be trusted!

• klops says:

But where is Lord Custard Smingleigh? Has he retreated to SUSD? Just the name alone put a smile on my face.

Earl-Grey says:

He must be in hiding, laying in wait for the perfect time to strike against the Moon.
        Surely our hero won’t abandon us at our most dire hour.

4. causticnl says:

is stealth still broken in this game? tried it when it launched, but its simply impossible to ghost this.

5. Monggerel says:

I remember, the first time I took a spacewalk outside Talos Station (that particular mythological reference isn’t even hubris, it’s more like a death wish with extroverted complications), the Moon hit my eye, much like popular culture does once in a while, and I thought:
    “That’s right, I’mma go land on this shit”
    I tried! The Moon was *so* close! And yet so, so very far away and Morgan Yu was martyred in the smooth and featureless void of space like a true American.

6. Kefren says:

I’ll pick this up when they remove Denuvo. I’m still slightly bitter about them using the same name and removing the previous Prey from sale. It wasn’t great, but had enjoyable moments (I had it on DVD).

7. Mouse_of_Dunwall says:

Yes! Prey is such a great game. Can’t wait for this.

8. Turkey says:

Weird. My achievements just say:

How
    Does
    It
    Feel
    To
    Be
    In
    REM
    (Feels Good)

9. KDR_11k says:

Pay Day 2 frequently has new achievements added with name patterns like that, before they add the actual content for triggering them.

10. Jason Moyer says:

More Prey, more Dishonored, hell more Arx. I don’t care, just get more Arkane into my life ASAP.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I’ve just started Arx Fatalis for the first time after playing several other of Arkanes games, like Dishonored and Dark Messiah (not Prey though). I’m very early in the game, just reached the first tavern and am wondering if you’re always gonna be walking in tunnels or if the game will open up soon. Haven’t met many people to talk to either and am hoarding stuff like a mad cleptomaniac just in case they happen to be useful/valuable.

• Jason Moyer says:

The entire game is set underground, although the caves themselves open up a little (settlements, etc.) compared to the jail that you start in.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Okay, thanks for your reply. Arx Fatalis seems like a game that gets better after you’ve played it one time already, because then you know which items are good and for what use as well as what to spend points in and how to deal with certain monsters.

I don’t like looking in wiki’s and walkthroughs, because reading them usually gives you more info than you wanted and there’s no way of knowing in advance which items are extra useful, so like always, I just take everything I can get.

11. Viral Frog says:

I thoroughly enjoyed Prey until the end of the game where I ended up with no ammo and could not survive to find more / craft more using just melee. I tried three different times to get through, extremely sparingly used crafting materials more and more, and wound up in the exact same situation every time. I am not the type of person to drop the difficulty settings, so I just gave up and never went back.

• Viral Frog says:

Worded that weird and no edit button. I meant to say “with each attempt, I used crafting materials more and more sparingly”. As in, I virtually didn’t touch them until absolutely required to pass whatever segment I was in.

Comment on this story