What are we all playing this weekend?

With Eurovision out the way (it had too many ballads and not enough poppy pop, but Moldova’s staging was a delight), it’s almost time for The Other E: E3. The other Es? The Electronic Entertainment Expo. That good ol’ close-mid front unrounded vowel x 3. To the max. As tired as I always feel after a week of working long days starting from Saturday, writing so very many posts, and watching too many awkward presentations, I do still find it quite exciting. From afar, mind. God, I’ve never been to E3 and hopefully I never will. But the PRODUCTBLASTORAMA is still quite exciting. I’m predicting a lot of dads and royale battles this year. Maybe even combined. Daddle royale.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on!

Alec: Alec has been fired.
Alice: It’s swimming season, so any time I’m not in a river, loch, or the sea is wasted as far as I’m concerned. Buuut I am known to waste time every now and then. I’m enjoying Plunkbat’s latest team deathmatch event mode, getting some frenetic murdertime in with guns I don’t find very often. And I’ve now started a crimebusiness in GTA Online so it’d be unprofessional if I didn’t do crimes.
Brendan: I’ve got to put some work into my settlement in State of Decay 2. This red-eyed zombie horde won’t overwhelm me by itself, you know. But I’ve also been sneaking back to Skyrim in the evenings for some cold dandering from town to town. And now that I think of it, it’s been a few days since I’ve been splattered across the walls of a Tekken dojo…

Graham: I’ve just got code for Yoku’s Island Express, a platformer where you shunt your little bug character around the environment using pinball-style paddles. That’s why Matthew is interested in it, but my only experience with pinball machines is putting money into them and then watching as every ball heads straight down the middle between my paddles. Instead, I’m in it for its green grass and upbeat island-paradise music. I just want to live inside a bright, jaunty platformer for a few hours.
John: John has been fired.
Katharine: I got suckered back in to Breath of the Wild this week after finally deciding to give its DLC a go after another few depressing days in Frostpunk, and holy moly what a game that still is. The Champion’s Ballad story is quite different from what I was expecting, but it’s been such a pleasure rediscovering that world, especially when nearly every DLC quest involves poring over its gorgeous map in order to find hidden chest and trial locations. I love me a good map, and Breath of the Wild’s is one of the very best in all of games. It’s also a good way of distracting myself from buying Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition for a third time, because as much as I love skewering hundreds of moblins with over-the-top spin attacks, I simply cannot justify getting it again after completing it on both the Wii U and 3DS. OR CAN I?
Matt: I’m looking forward to tucking into Omensight, an action adventure about preventing the end of the world by cracking a murder case, which you solve by manipulating characters based on your knowledge of that days events because you’re a time traveller. If the game’s half as fun to play as it is to describe, it should be a blast.

Also more God Of War.

Matthew: I’m still on Pillars of Eternity (the original), and imagine I will be for some time. You can’t turn the corner in Defiance Bay without another NPC dumping a quest on you. I’ve spent so long hunting down lost loved ones and bashing up woodland creatures that I’ve lost the thread of the central quest line. Something involving hollow children? (This makes me think of hollow chocolate eggs, but I imagine that’s a very different deal.) So I’ll spend this weekend trying to get my adventure back on track. *spends next two days punching bears for pennies*

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. caff says:

Last weekend I completed Deadly Premonition and now my heart has a York & Zach-shaped hole. Sure, it was a rollercoaster ride of crashes, save game errors and INI-file/compatibility-mode hell, but what a story.

I think I’ll play The Red Strings Club this weekend, which I picked up with a small discount a couple of weeks ago.

• parsley says:

I really liked The Red Strings Club! If your heart has a hole, though, it might add another one. It did for me at least.

2. c-fan says:

Not sure this weekend.. Realm Grinder always. Should play some Conan Exiles since I bought it, but don’t really feel like that type of game right now. Still have .hack//G.U. Last Recode I want to try, might go for that.. Remember enjoying one or maybe two of those on the PS2. (Should really finnish Ni No Kuni II first tho. *blush*) And most likely some DJMAX Respect on the side.

3. FizicsMcmanus says:

After reading the press for Pillars 2: Deadfire, I tried to get into Pillars 1 again and this time it hooked me. I couldn’t get past Defiance Bay before losing interest, this time I sailed through it and popped into The White March (at level 10, scaled ) and am enjoying it so far. Hopefully I will get time to try the new fixes in Vermintide and see what’s what as well. Still have to finish Dad of War!

4. wellpapp says:

The devs behind DayZ is stress testing the servers for the upcoming BETA-release (experimental version at first) during the weekend, so that’ll keep me preoccupied. New animation system, huge boost to fps.. first time enjoying DayZ since a couple of years, cool to be back!

5. Amake says:

I’m back on Clicker Heroes, after recently unlocking the 13th strongest hero now blazing through bosses worth a handsome 800000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 or so souls each. I mention this because it amuses me how ludicrously large numbers this game has, and how they keep exploding into vastly larger numbers at an alarming rate still after so many months.

Also I’m invested in Where the Water Tastes like Wine. Amazing how removing all actual stakes and consequences of your moral choices for the player character makes these choices genuinely matter for the player. Like my favorite choice so far was whether or not to steal a bottle of booze from a worker while he’s stuck doing his job on top of a telephone pole by the road (and a random whippoorwill watches ominously from the phone line). There’s obviously one right choice here and one that’s obviously going to make a better story, but collecting stories is your job and how bad are you really going to feel about a little petty theft when they’ve literally taken the flesh from your bones, made you into an indestructible monster forced to walk the land and all that crap?

The weirdest part is, the quality of the stories you collect don’t actually matter to the game as far as I’ve seen, but at least for me the impulse to make them good stories is very strong, maybe I imprint my professional pride as a writer on the character, maybe it’s just that these little choices are the only decisions you actually get to make in playing the game so you’re pretty much forced to care about them, or maybe it’s the basic human instinct for storytelling.

So you can do nice things but be dull, and the game doesn’t judge you, or you can do well at what you do but be mean, and the game still doesn’t judge you, and the choice I made there four days ago still haunts me.

• parsley says:

Oh, I remember the bottle of booze! I’m guessing we made the same choice. Every time I told that story around a campfire, I flinched a bit. I’m so close to finishing Where the Water Tastes Like Wine, but some tiny part of me wants to find all of the stories first.

6. kulik says:

Wait, is the couple in the picture taking a selfie with a selfie stick?!

7. juan_h says:

More Disgaea 2 PC. I finished the main story and am now playing the alternate route which focuses on the annoying mid-boss character. I’m also trying to unlock some more character classes. For some reason, this requires me to win votes in the Dark Assembly mini-game. The last time I tried it, the nays carried the day. Because this is Disgaea, I then beat up all the nays and passed the motion anyway.

8. bacon seeker says:

Mainly Pillars of Eternity 2, which I like much better than the first one. It’s more accessible, but more importantly the setting (a weird mashup of non-European cultures) and themes (colonialism, trade, piracy) are about 1000x more interesting than the usual generic fantasy of crossing Tolkien with medieval Europe.
    Also some Battletech, which has a bit of that Xcom feeling of “just one more battle”.

9. zinzan says:

1. Combat Mission 2 PBeM turns out as normal.
    2. Entertaining my 8 yr old to swimming, ice cream and toy shopping.
    3. Possibly some other games this evening (Fallout: NV or SkyRim or Field Of Glory II or Shadow Tactics : Blades of the Samurai or Witcher 3 or Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm)

NOT Buying any more games until I get all the above finished……

• klops says:

Communal Combat mission is the only game I play this weekend. Too much work/sun for anything else. But I try to compensate that non-playing by spamming the Overlordy comment section full with comments and questions while I should be working.

10. dethtoll says:

Ostensibly, I could be working on Medal of Honor Allied Assault’s expansions, Tomb Raider 3 (that’s the 90s one, not the reboot series one that hasn’t come out yet), Bloodborne or even Destiny. What I will probably be playing, however, is Into The Breach.

• Monggerel says:

Ah, Tomb Raider 3.
      Or as I like to call it,
      Tomb Raider 3.

To those who think the STALKER series is “obtuse” or “janky” or “straight fucking broken”,
      Well, yeah. That’s all true.
      But you’ll never, *ever*, be as lost as in Tomb Raider 3.

11. sunahe says:

I’ll be shooting zombie Nazis falling at me from the sky who are also burning. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, that is.

12. Daymare says:

Almost thru with Dark Souls 2 and, after what has been a year, begun missing Bloodborne. I started a new character and with a selection of guides I’m playing full ARC (obv. with some VIT), making extensive use of Hunter Tools.

Since Tools generally scale very late, the idea was to gem a weapon into Fire as early as possible, since that makes it scale w/ARC. I’m at Mergo’s now, with all DLC bosses still standing and not much of the Chalice Dungeons explored.
    At this point I’ve got almost 60 ARC so my Tools are getting really effective now, which makes gameplay so much more varied than hitting stuff with a weapon.

I love this game.

• Monggerel says:

I married my Saw Cleaver and never let her go.
      That transformation attack is the reason the angels of Lucifer waged war against the light of god.

• Daymare says:

My first playthru was also w/Saw Cleaver! As STR.

Here’s a weird thing: I never ever use transform attacks. I sorta forget they exist. I even practice them a bit whenever I find a new weapon. But I never actively use them in combat, mostly because I kinda don’t know how to actually trigger them reliably?

Afaik you attack (R1) and then hit transform (L1) shortly after and hitting transform that way makes L1 an attack instead of just a transformation?

Does it make like, a huge damage difference if I just R1+R1 instead of R1+L1?

I’m using a fire-gem’d Saw Spear btw

• Monggerel says:

Transformation attacks are R1 + L1. Just the same as you’d do an R1. The timing is really lenient, and you’ll definitely notice when it happens.

Not all transform attacks are good! The Hunter Axe and the Saw Cleaver in particular have really powerful ones tho. Saw Cleaver whips out into its longer form like a switchblade, deals about 150% dmg, as fast as a regular R1, with about twice the range. Absolutely brutal, also builds lots of Beasthood (if you use that mechanic).

• Daymare says:

Ye, I hit R1, then shortly after L1 and it transforms while hitting. I’ve been trying to do it more often now, but.

I s’ppose the Saw Spear has a similar damage bonus on that attack, considering it’s very similar in most aspects to the Cleaver.

My plan is to get some nice elemental gems in the Chalice Dungeons and then play through NG+ with a Kos Parasite, because I wanna be a broccoli squid.

I’d also like to try the Whirligig but I’d need to spend like, 8 levels in STR and Dex altogether just to try it out, so I dunno.

13. Darth Gangrel says:

Several games I’ve played recently has had bad combat (Risen 2, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, Hunted: The Demon’s Forge), so I’m gonna start a game with notoriously little combat, even if the combat it *does* have is also notoriusly bad: Planescape Torment.

• Daymare says:

Man, Enslaved was really good, even though the combat was mostly middling.

You should totes try Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice if you haven’t already. It has some combat, but not much.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Those games I mentioned above made me stop plaing games for a while, because they were too annoying (mostly combat wise), but within ten minutes of playing Planescape: Torment, it has hit me with its own annoying “feature”: random lightning flashes, because weather effects, that you can’t frikkin’ turn off, aaaarrrggghhh!!!!!

All I ask is that games don’t annoy me, is that too much to ask, huh? Apparently it is.

I’ll keep on playing it and try to keep my mood from becoming as dark as the storms that are the cause of these flashes.

• Someoldguy says:

There’s a considerable amount of combat in Planescape: Torment, particularly if you roam around maps a lot as the basic enemies respawn between visits. Far more than there is in the more recent Torment: Tides of Numenera.

• aoanla says:

This – I was recommended PS:T a year or two after it came out, based on it having “not much combat”… and I stopped playing it after a few hours because of the annoying combat from random respawning mobs. (It’s the worst combination of poor combat mechanics and forced respawning mobs, with a realtime game so you have to constantly either run away from combats you don’t want, or do the annoying combat in the screen you just entered so you can actually take the time to sit back and think about anything.)

I believe, ironically, the random mobs were added by executive meddling, to “appeal to RPG fans”. Sigh.

14. Chaoslord AJ says:

More Minecraft, the Sevtech:Ages mod pack.
    Path of Exile to get some league goals and Far Cry 4 to put me to sleep.

15. Killy_V says:

I’ve a 10h long travel by plane and a one week work shitstuff in a remote island, so I filled the DD to the brim with games. I’ll start with Shadow Tactics Blade of the Shogun, some Disagea PC, some Duskers, some Rimworld, some Judgement: Apocalyspe Survival Simulation, and I’ll be dying repeatedly by RNG in Slay th Spire.

Also just started BATTLETECH and I’m hooked after the two first mission, but it’s on my desktop beefy PC so I’ll play that in 10 days.

16. SaintAn says:

I don’t know what to play. I was disappointed by Warhammer’s pitiful LL DLC announcement this week and by the awful new Age of Wonders announcement that’s turning one of the best fantasy 4x series into a bland sci fi 4x game. So now I’m depressed. In times like this I’d go play Stellaris or Overwatch, but they’ve both been ruined too.

• SaintAn says:

A huge lunch, some gardening, and watching 3 little birds get taught how to fly by their mother in my back yard broke my depression.
      Playing some Warhammer Return of Reckoning MMO. I enjoy playing healer and love Dark Elves, so I’m leveling a fresh Disciple of Khaine.
      Might play some TW Warhammer too. Probably TK undying guy in the mega campaign.
      Some Tales of Maj’Eyal Lovecraft/Warhammer-like xpac.
      And some Hyrule Warriors on Switch.

• caff says:

I saw some baby birds too today, pecking at some bread I left out. My heart melted and somehow all my angst melted away. Go and feed baby birds people, you’ll feel a helluva lot better later.

• brucethemoose says:

I strongly disagree with you on Stellaris. I’m playing it right now, and the game is better than its ever been, IMO.

Granted, you really do need mods to patch it up. Among many others, CGM+Glavius is just amazing, the AI is crushing me mid-late game on a moderate difficulty where they used to languish even on the highest difficulty with absurd bonuses. And since the CGM building AI is so good, I don’t have to micro my sectors anymore.

Iamblichos says:

I’ve returned to the Witcher 3 to (finally) play through Blood and Wine. I restarted to re-experience the game, and it’s still effin’ amazing. I had forgotten how grimdark the people are. I have apparently also forgotten how to witch… I find the combat significantly more difficult than I did in the first playthrough. So that’s adding some funstration to the weekend.

• Monggerel says:

Interesting, I remembered Blood&Wine as being generally Lolrandom, rather than Grimdark.
      Probably ought to replay someday.

18. Ben King says:

I’ve got family in town sleeping in the PC room and they’re not so much gamey people so the console is probably out as well… sneaking this comment in over coffee will probably be the closest I’ll get to games… Instead I’ll probably be gardening in the apt yard with them, making a apple/sweet potato/ cranberry pie, and maybe poking around doodling a palace map for D&D. Someone should do a serious sit down with conan exiles and let me know what it’s like.

19. Monggerel says:

Done and gone back to Jagged Alliance 2. Using the 1.13 mod (the name comes from 1.12 being the last official patch).

It’s still good!
    It’s also *way* more brutal than I ever remembered it being. The mod turns the “Immediate Counterattack” back on, so the first time you take a town with your handful of mercs and local recruits, they get an entire army division thrown at them within about a day or two of touching down on Arulco.

So far my tactics have boiled down to consulting the Hague Conventions (the Geneva Conventions only apply to war declared between nations) and working my way through them point by point, using them as a guerrilla warfare manual in reverse. Occasionally taking notes from the Protocol for the Prohibition of the Use in War of Asphyxiating, Poisonous or other Gases, and of Bacteriological Methods of Warfare, for inspiration.

Nothing does war crimes quite the way video games do (looking at you, Brigador).

• klops says:

I cheated the AI a bit on that ridiculously over the top counterattack in the first city. I send my squad to nearby watery sector west/ southeast of the city and let the enemy attack me from south. The southern row of the map was water and my squad positioned on land stripe SE of the map shot the wading/swimming enemy like fish in a barrel. I assume they first took the city back and then came after me.

• dethtoll says:

Hard lol at the Brigador mention. It’s so true.

20. cpt_freakout says:

It’s cool to see a few people playing Pillars of Eternity as well – I’m restarting it ’cause I left it “to rest” a couple years back (maybe more?) in order to wait for the expansions, and then I kind of forgot to finish it… since I’ve forgotten most of the story, I decided I’d restart it and then play 2 right after. Big commitment, I know, so let’s see how it goes…

21. aircool says:

I’m playing prep-the-motorcycle-for-summer before laughing my arse off all over the Scottish Borders area!

22. Foosnark says:

Battletech. I was stuck for a while with one lousy heavy mech (Dragon, ugh), but suddenly turned a corner with the mission that gives you an assault mech as a reward. Now there are heavies to salvage around every corner. Selling the Dragon for scrap felt pretty good; headshotting a Quickdraw was even more satisfying.

23. Zenicetus says:

Battletech mostly, just getting into the phase where I can start collecting heavies. And then some flying in X-Plane.

I’m also trying to decide whether to buy TW Thrones of Britannia in spite of some negative reviews, or pick up the second TW Warhammer game instead. I prefer the historical TW games, but the user reviews on Britannia have been pretty rough. Might be safer to wait for a sale.

24. geldonyetich says:

This the first I’m learning that Alice is part fish.

I never played Rust and only barely touched on ARK, so Conan Exiles’s release last week basically caught the thunder of my higher graphical survival game zeal. I’ve been playing a lot of it, rigorously converting wood and stone into a ridiculous construction. A grind you love isn’t quite a grind yet.

The game is solid enough where it counts, but still needs a lot of work to be truly awesome. I hope Funcom continues to patch it well into the future.

25. sinbad says:

Taking a little break from my many years of PC gaming having just bought my first modern console, the PS4 Pro. I’ve bought and plan to play through Shadow of the Colossus, The Last of Us Remastered, Nier Automata and the Unchartered games. I’m rather excited but also looking forward to coming back to my PC roots soon. Enjoy the sunshine all..

• dethtoll says:

Bloodborne is easily 50% of the reason to get a PS4.

• Ben King says:

When your pocket book and gaming schedule recover from that initial rush Horizon Zero Dawn is also excellent in it’s own way. Picking apart house sized robot dinosaurs is fun as hell and it looks amazing.

• sinbad says:

Thanks for the tip

• Daymare says:

HZD is great.
          I’ve got the Frozen Wastes expansion, but borrowed the orig game to a friend, so now I can’t play. Well, I’m playing Bloodborne again (see farther up) and it was also my 50% (the other was HZD).

Own but haven’t played The Last Guardian as well! One day …

Tho now I’m thinking about getting that new God of War game since everybody seems to love that.

I’d also be interested in Shadow of the Colossus remake.

particlese says:

I know it’s even less actiony, but since you’ve gotten something lovely like Shadow of the Colossus, I suspect Journey won’t go unappreciated, either. Always my top recommendation for Playstation 3 and 4 diversions.

26. kiank37 says:

Finally AP testing is over and I can exhale and reflect on all my mistakes I’ve made this year. I will definitely be playing some Minecraft and Overwatch. Being home alone, I’m not sure if I can continue to play Oxenfree until my parents return from their vacations. Hopefully some more Far Cry 5 and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare campaign which is surprisingly one of the most fun Call of Duty campaigns out there even though the story is ehhh. I just got Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild so I’ll definitely be playing more of that. And I think we are playing Until Dawn and God of War at this weeks game night.

27. Lars Westergren says:

Pillars of Eternity 2. I restarted after the first patch because I want the companions to have the right dispositions following the events of PoE1. It is really, really, good.

Also I’m restarting Prey, aiming for the completely opposite ending this time. Playing on nightmare mode. Also an amazingly good game. This is basically System Shock 3, if you didn’t know, so if you ever loved the games from Looking Glass studios, buy it. Buy it now!

I got really stuck in Hadean lands. I need two rods of platinum. One to create a catalytic environment and one to create an special alloy used in a ritual that requires the catalytic environment, but I only have one, so…

• malkav11 says:

Generally in Hadean Lands, if you have two things that use the same expendable resource, one of a few things is going on:
      1) You need to use the one resource you have to get information somewhere else, then reset and use the resource in a different way.
      2) You need to find a different way to create the same effect as one of the rituals.
      3) There really are multiple instances of the resource and you just need to find the other one (rare, though).
      4) You need to find a different resource that will substitute in one of the rituals. (This last bit is one of the few things that requires really understanding the fictional mechanics of the rituals, I believe.)

• Lars Westergren says:

Ah, thanks. Yes, I suspect it’s solution 4 I’m after, but I haven’t been smart enough to figure it out yet.

Or maybe I have to figure out one of the other puzzles first – a certain code lock, masking my aura to pass a hungry ghost, overcome the nausea/gravity shifting near the drive core, or finding my way through a garden maze. Bleh, mazes.

No more hints required, I’m going to keep trying on my own a while longer. :)

28. mverdo says:

I’ll be playing sunless sea with a bottle of red wine. And in the evenings some more Laser League, which is sadly (mostly?) overlooked on this site, because it is amazing!

29. Thulsa Hex says:

Divinity: OS: A friend who lives 8 time zones away and I have somehow made our co-op campaign a staple (and highlight) of each week. Today, we’re about to leave Cyseal for the first time!

Pillars of Eternity: Like others, I restarted the campaign after a bit of an absence. I’m now well into Act II with a pistol-toting Cipher build. I was resistant to firearms at first, but I’ve come ’round.

Dishonored 2: Just one more target before heading back to Dunwall to Take Back What’s Mine™. Really enjoying it. The amount of incidental detail the artists have poured into the world is impressive.

30. Det. Bullock says:

There’s the free weekend of Torment: Tides of Numenera, I’m liking it a lot only since I cannot buy it right now I don’t know if keep playing it until the free weekend expires or save it for when I’ll be able to buy it.
    Other than that I dunno, probably I’ll keep playing Arkham Knight even though I’m noot enthusiastic about it or just play around with some fighting games and spacesims.

particlese says:

Prattle Royale.

Chocolate Doom is up next because I want to beat classic 3-episode Doom with just the keyboard and essentially without cheats for the first time in my life. I haven’t played it all the way through for probably 15 or 20 years, and that was with cheats galore!

There will also be further Lawbreakers action this evening since I’m still having fun with it.

I’ve also been having a number of hearty laughs while trying to program some basic game-centric collision detection. The lastest was when I tried to make something stick to a wall, but it just kinda dribbled down instead. Tomorrow, I’ll be trying to avoid dividing by zero.

particlese says:

Weee! And now I’ve finally finished Doom without cheating. It was a fun ride, with a slightly sour 20 minutes of confusion in E3M7 immediately followed by the sweet relief of 15 seconds for the final level.

32. Seyda Neen says:

I woke up the other day with a great idea for a hobbit-hole-like Minecraft house with connecting tunnels and things. I haven’t played Minecraft extensively in years, so no idea where that came from, but hey, maybe I’ll give it a try.

33. Grim Rainbow says:

Slither.io. Then giving my gaming computer of the last four years away to a friend before I move country. Its been a good computer.

34. parsley says:

I’ll try Torment: Tides of Numeria this weekend while it’s free. I’m also downloading Old School Runescape for nostalgia reasons. I’m looking forward to baking bread again!

35. RobbieTrout says:

I’ve wandered back to Terraria. It’s been so long that I had no idea where I was or what I had or what I was trying to do, so I wiped my old game and have started over from scratch.

This new world has a challenging dearth of iron ore, so even though I’ve done a lot of exploration I’m still only equipped with copper armour and a cactus-wood pickaxe. Luckily, in one of my first battles I ended up with an overpowered zombie arm for use as a melee weapon — it’s still stronger than any sword I’m able to craft. (Here comes another monster! WHAP WHAP WHAP with a ripped-off zombie hand.)

36. hfm says:

lol Brendan.. after clocking almost 440 hours into 2 playthroughs Skyrim, I started playing through the SE as an archer this time. have 34 hours there now. Sigh..

37. SBLux says:

The announcement of Rage 2 made me go back to Rage and I am enjoying it although it is pretty grim so I play in small doses. I am using the Ultimate Rebalance Mod and it really does turn it from a console game into a PC game so I highly recommend it.

Apart from that I have nearly finished the career mode in BAJA: Edge of Control HD and will attempt the full length Baja race after that. For anyone who likes off road racing, this is one of the best games ever made in my opinion.

38. hijuisuis says:

Puzzle game Stephens sausage roll – from the English country tune dev. So far I’m really enjoying it, pretty damn hard though.

Finished Silent Hill 1 finally, after leaving it 80% complete way back on release. Could still only play in short bursts due to fear. I stand by my claim that it’s the only horror game anyone needs to play.

And Valkyrie Profile Lenneth on psp. Exceptionally interesting, weird mechanics and original for a jrpg.

• Kitsunin says:

Silent Hill 1 is? I mean, it’s fantastic, but I can’t say it’s better than 2 or 3. It has better exploration; it’s very cool that the town is quite open relative to 2 and especially 3. But 2 has such a fantastic story I don’t think anybody who likes the idea of true psychological horror should miss it. And 3 is definitely the scariest one, though it starts the series down the road of convoluted stories.

I just don’t think anybody should miss any of the first 3. Even 4 is great but bogged down with some annoying flaws.

• hijuisuis says:

You’re right, and I can’t compare, since I haven’t played the next two. From what I hear, number 2 might end up being the desert island horror game.

39. icarussc says:

A little bit of Magic: the Gathering Arena Beta (I’m as awful as ever, but my dinosaur ramp deck is fun anyway), a little bit of Super Mario Galaxy 2 (which might be one of the greatest games ever made), a little bit of Tokaido on the tabletop (my daughter hated it, but my son liked it), and some lovely Charterstone with the wife and friends (we all love it).

40. lglethal says:

No gaming for me this weekend as I’m off visiting relatives (relatives who have no Internet). But next week I’m home alone (wife and son are staying the week at the relos), so outside of work I’ll be playing war of the chosen, tomb raider, and maybe some division.
    Good times! ;)

41. Shiloh says:

Just picked up a 7,830 ly passenger mission in Elite Dangerous so that’ll keep me going for a while I suppose. Some Pillars 1 and a bit of Graviteam Tactics Mius Front for the wargamer in me (although the newly-updated interface is taking a bit of getting used to).

Comment on this story