Battlefield V wants you to shut up, or touch its mouth?

With the glitz and glamour of Eurovision fading into memory, it’s almost time for That Other E Event, the Electronic Entertainment Expo. E3’s marketing blitz seems to begin earlier each year, and I’ve a sneaking suspicion I’m already in it but haven’t fully realised yet, and now here come Electronic Arts teasing the formal announcement of Battlefield V. Coming ahead of a big livestreamed event on Wednesday, the wee teaser video shows a steampunk gesturing for us to shut up. Or maybe inviting us to put our fingers in his mouth? I’m not quite sure. At the very least, it lends credence to rumours that developers Dice are taking the series back to World War 2 with this year’s game.

Battlefield’s Twitter account tweeted this lippy fella this afternoon:

Look closely and aha!

The two team icons on the multiplayer scoreboard there appear to be the Union Flag and an Iron Cross-ish doodad, the symbol typically used by video games who don’t want to show swastikas. Rumours had suggested that V would take the FPS series back to its World War 2 roots, and this might support that – though the Iron Cross isn’t just a WW2 symbol. It does leave World War 1 as a possibility too, following on from 2016’s Battlefield 1, but I would be surprised if Dice aren’t Twoing it up this time. Sequelised franchises get itchy feet, y’know.

The big reveal livestream is going live at 9pm (1pm Pacific) on Wednesday the 25th. The blurb says it will show us “how the battlefield will never be the same”, which is certainly a bold claim. We’ll have a roving reporter on the ground to scrutinise that.

1. Vandelay says:

Your “a steampunk…” comment has me wishing that this be something more interesting than the inevitable WW2 reveal. Sci-Fi is likely out, considering the poor reception to Infinity War, but something fantastical or even, as you say, steampunk would be really great and pretty unique to this sort of game.

Recently got Battlefield 1 and really had a great time with it. Not sure how interested I’ll be in V if it proves to be just another WW or modern warfare.

• Antongranis says:

As a fan of spaceships and lasers and the like, the poor reception to those kinds of games is sad. So much you can do with that setting. Atleast this is not yet another modern military shooter.

particlese says:

Hmm, a steam punk War of the Worlds alternate timeline thingy could be pret-ty neat, I reckon. It could ostensibly be set during a vanilla world war of choice to keep that camp happy, but then it could do some interesting sci-fi things on top.

…AH! Wait wait wait, stop the presses; hold the phone. I thought that thought felt kinda familiar: I think Resistance: Fall of Man was vaguely along those lines, but minus the steamy punk-bits. It’s been years since I played it, but I do seem to remember it being indeed pretty neat, yet wasteful of the exotic weaponry, in my opinion.

And it was not on PC, which means it should be on PC.

• Codenamexxiii says:

Maybe not steampunk but would be cool a Dieselpunk one

• Janichsan says:

I still wouldn’t mind Battlefield 2143.

• Paradukes says:

I second that. The day they make BF2143 is the day I start playing Battlefield games again. 3 and 4 were good, but there was something about running up between a walker’s legs and shooting the vents with a pilum – or taking out the titan’s core and making a run for the rear deck before it exploded, which the other games have never quite captured.

• Vandelay says:

Would love that too. Missed out on it first time around and regular hear it being very highly regarded, as well as having some unique gameplay compared to other entries.

Alas though, following Infinite Warfare (just noticed my error in the original post :) ) I can’t imagine any publisher greenlighting anything similar. The final quality of the CoD game is irrelevant, people were shunning it from the initial announcement. Seems crazy to me, as it looked like one of the most interesting iterations of the series for ages in those early trailers, but the general audience had no interest in space ships and future weaponry.

• TormDK says:

Yeah, we are long overdue the sequel to 2142!

• Jernau Gurgeh says:

The inevitable “I came here just to say the same thing” comment. The only way I could be at all interested in playing Battlefield is if it was set in the late Victorian era and featured steam-powered mechs and roving traction engines the size of small market towns. Maybe with an Edwardian sci-fi spinoff DLC involving an invasion of the Home Counties by tripedal Martian fighting machines?

2. OpT1mUs says:

That logo seems kinda too modern for a WW2 game. Could be cool if it was alt history where WW1 never ended set in like 50s.

Or even WW2 if Axis won and it’s invading US.

3. shauneyboy68 says:

Would be cool to see a “dieselpunk” game ala Konflict ‘47 or the old Tannhauser Fantasy

4. Plastic Legs says:

Maybe it is a V for Victory, not a numeral.

5. PoundCoin says:

Codename Eagle 2?

CODENEAAAAAMEEEEEE EAAAAAAGLLLEEEEE TWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOO?!!?

AAAAAAAAAAAA

6. Jokerme says:

Get ready for more of the same.

• Caiman says:

Planning meetings for their next game must be fascinating. I imagine they must have a dartboard with 5 different areas marked out: WW1, WW2, Modern, Future, Something New. They’re all fairly equal, except Something New which is a tiny sliver at the top right.

“I’m going for Something New!”
      “DAMMIT! I hit WW2 again. Crap, ok let’s do it I guess.”

7. Cederic says:

Hopefully going back to WWII will also herald going back to balanced gameplay in which every participant has access to the same weapons and skills.

8. slayer1027 says:

I’m not sure if you’re messing around, but that is a German paratrooper uniform, and he’s doing a melee takedown that emulates a certain scene from Saving Private Ryan. If it’s anything other than WWII I would be shocked.

9. aircool says:

Well, the video shows British v Axis on the score, so unless we’ve got some sort of post-Brexit vs 4th Reich thing going on, it’s gonna be WWII. Which means, if it’s as realistic as BF1, we should expect laser guns, plasma cannons, hand-held MLRS and Kinetic Orbitals.

10. Freud says:

The first Battlefield games just wanted you to play more because you enjoyed it. It worked wonderfully.

These days the games are just vehicles for season passes, unlockables, microtransactions and DLCs.

I might miss out here and there but I’m completely off EA games.

• maximus says:

Yup, 5 years ago i may have still got excited for a new ww2 BF game. Now? wouldnt touch it just on principles alone.

• sosolidshoe says:

I certainly won’t be going near it until the business model is fully detailed, but if they do something similar to the post-“OH S***T” revamp of Battlefront 2 except with the more “new weapons are sidegrades” attitude of prior Battlefield games, I could see myself buying a new WW2 Battlefield game.

If they go back to chopping up the community based on DLC map packs or try to sneak the lootbox aspect back in a wee bit though, nah.

• aircool says:

Also, with BF games now being developed for consoles as well, everything will be either spray ‘n’ pray or 10x scopes because console controllers are utter shite for first person shooters.

Marksmanship (if you can call it that) is a lost art in online shooters these days.

11. Turkey says:

Can’t wait for you guys to see the rest of the trailer. We worked really hard on it.

I can spoil that the whole trailer takes place from the perspective of a player who’s complaining about all the lootboxes we put in the game. It’s really ambitious.

12. Raoul Duke says:

Haha, everyone imagining something new and exciting.

It’ll be either:

Vaguely modern-ish guys shooting each other with vaguely modern-ish weapons

or

World War Two but with some unrealistic crap thrown in to make it more fun

13. Love Albatross says:

Does BF1942 still work?

I’d pay some money for a modern version of that. Keep the same classes, maps, vehicles and the wonky physics and slap a new coat of paint on it.

Subsequent games took themselves increasingly seriously but 1942 was just good silly fun. Had some awesome mods and custom server modes too.

Comment on this story