The Elder Scrolls Online: Summerset is out, definitely isn’t set in the West Country

TESCO_Summerset_header

You lot already knew there was a place in Tamriel called Summerset, didn’t you? I didn’t. I’m finding out now with the release of The Elder Scrolls Online‘s latest expansion, and the idea of encountering “shining cities, vibrant forests, tropical lagoons, coral caves, mysterious ruins and more” in a certain British county is amusing me an unduly amount.

I don’t know about most of that, but Wookey Hole is pretty nice.

Summerset is the ancient homeland of the Wurzels High Elves, and the expansion’s premise is basically Brexit’s but backwards. There’s still plenty of looming darkness, mind: “For the first time in history, the long-closed borders of Summerset are open to foreigners by decree of Queen Ayrenn. But darkness looms over the ancestral home of the High Elves, and whispers stir of Daedric followers organizing in the shadows.”

In this alternate-world fantasy forecast of Britain’s future that’s swiftly becoming my headcanon, at least many of the political upstarts are time-wizards. Those would be the members of the Psijic Order, a “secretive and mysterious” gang that have “returned to Nirn after centuries of self-imposed exile to investigate a crisis that threatens to unravel the future of Tamriel”. The Pizzyjics introduce a new skill line that revolves around temporal trickery, like resetting your health, mana and stamina to what they were four seconds ago.

Note that since the One Tamriel update, TESO is an explorer-friendly MMO where according to Dominic Tarason “level has little bearing on what you can do and where you can go”. So feel free to pop your head into Glasto with a character that’s fresh out of the gates.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Summerset is available now on Steam and from the devs for £20/$30/€30. You’ll need the base game to play it.

1. dangermouse76 says:

Khajiit has cider if you have coin.

2. Jernau Gurgeh says:

Does it include being able to drive combine harvesters, or is that an extra DLC in the ESO Store?

3. Jernau Gurgeh says:

Also, I thought this wasn’t out until June 5th? I pre-ordered the upgrade and I’m sure that’s what it said. (I never usually pre-order anything, and actually just wanted Morrowind, but getting Summerset Isle with Morrowind included was only a fiver more).

• Jernau Gurgeh says:

Oh, my bad. I was a quisling deviant and got it for that dirty filthy PS4 console, on which it is being released later than the wholesome patriotic PC version.

4. tsff22 says:

Downloading it right now. ESO is one of the best “surprisingly very good” games I’ve ever played.

Thank god I stopped listen to the people badmouthing this amazing game.

• Gomer_Pyle says:

Is it any good for solo play?

• tsff22 says:

It sure is! Pretty much the only places where you absolutely need a group are group dungeons, public dungeons and trials (raids).

particlese says:

And even some of those are soloable by mere mortals.

The main game in general was a lot of good fun both solo, and coop with friends – more than I expected, too.

I also enjoyed the pvp for a while, but that wasn’t much fun solo since I like neither the tension of sneaking across half of Cyrodiil just to be jumped by unseen assailants, nor the guilt of jumping from bushes at weaker passersby. Only head-on rushes with lots of loud noises and music and trebuchets for me, thanks.

• Hernechild says:

I only like to play PVE which is why I avoided online games for so long. This game is awesome. You can easily play solo except for the public dungeons etc. The nice thing is if you have a friend who plays, you can invite them to your “group” and the two of you can play together except for the designated “solo” quests. There is plenty of adventuring to be had whether you are a PVE of PVP style player

• EwokThisWay says:

ESO does many things WAY better than Skyrim, most notably the writings of the quests and the dialogues which are on a whole different level.

It’s really sad (and pathetic) that most people who refuse to play ESO are so-called Elder Scrolls purists because this game is an absolute blast for any Elder Scrolls lover with its extremely satisfying attention to the lore and world building.

My favorite thing in ESO has to be exploration, there is so much attention attention to detail in this game and many areas are gorgeous…

5. Seafoam says:

Hmph. I’m still pissed they went with that kind of architechtural route.
    I remember the Altmer being described as completely alien by culture, but instead theyre just somewhat arrogant a-holes living in Neuschwansteins.
    Watering down the lore, it’s the same as if they made Morrowind just a bunch of medieval english farmhouses with a volcano somewhere.

6. TillEulenspiegel says:

In Daggerfall it was Sumurset Isle, which is a bit less silly. I mean, not the weird spelling, but the fact that “Isle” is always attached.

7. Zorgulon says:

This is certainly one of those “should have tried harder with the fantasy name generator” placenames.

I mean, what next, a Dragon Age game set in the Orkney Isles?

8. mitrovarr says:

Ugh, I wish they’d quit wasting their time on this and make another real Elder Scrolls game.

• malkav11 says:

It may shock you to learn that Zenimax Online is a different studio than the people who make the singleplayer games.

• EwokThisWay says:

Why though, TESO is actually way better than the last Elder Scrolls single player by FAR.

You didn’t even play it, did you… ?

Also, Zenimax working on this game doesn’t stop Bethesda Games Studio to make another TES games in any way, different studios.

• Caiman says:

Disagree. I played ESO for maybe 15 hours but it just didn’t grab me like Skyrim (250+ hours and counting). The fact you can mod Skyrim into basically whatever version of the game you like is something ESO will never allow, and that kills most of my interest that the presence of other annoying players hasn’t already.

What worries me is that ESO seems to be mining all the remaining Elder Scrolls lore as quickly as possible through its expansion packs, making me wonder what they have left for Elder Scrolls 6.

• mitrovarr says:

I mean, the core issue of an MMO having an unchanging, static world seems to kill the concept of a game like this before it starts. I’m not interested in “Skyrim, but with everything but the power grind removed, and where you can’t do anything or change anything.”

9. darkwhite says:

Being a fan of Elderscrolls, I decided to give it a try. Is a subscription necessary or totally not worth it? I will not have time to play each and every day but also do not like to be locked out of the major stuff.

• Xythe says:

It depends on how interested you are in crafting imo. A lot of the stuff you get from the subscription is kinda nice, particularly access to all the smaller bits of story DLC without having to buy it outright, but not in any way essential. However, if you have any interest in engaging in a meaningful way with the crafting professions, it’s an absolute must. The sheer number of crafting mats in the game will overwhelm your inventory and bank space incredibly quickly if you don’t have access to the infinite space crafting bag you get as a subscriber.

So if you’re the sort of person, like me, who has always derived a lot of enjoyment of running around the word hoovering up everything that isn’t nailed down and making stuff from it, then I’d say it’s essential. Otherwise, you don’t loose too much without it.

10. jotunn says:

The husband of Queen Aryenn is King Aryan, and their daughter is Adolfine Hitlerstein?

Brexit will not kill Great Britain, it will just lead to another cod war with Iceland.

Comment on this story