Arez in or Arez out? Asus clarify AMD graphics card brand mix-up

Asus AREZ AMD graphics cards

Last month, Asus unveiled a brand-new range of AMD Radeon RX graphics cards under the name of ‘Arez‘ – you know, like the god of war Ares, but cooler and with a ‘z’. Fast forward to last night, and you may have seen some wild rumours flying about saying that Asus have actually canned their new Arez brand in favour of their classic ROG moniker after a suggestive tweet from a vaguely official-sounding Asus Arez Twitter account. Thankfully, Asus have stepped in to clear up the confusion.

As with most things on social media, it’s all turned out to be complete hogwash – maybe even ‘fake news’ if you will. No, Asus aren’t putting the kibosh on a new brand they created little over a month ago (mainly because that would be silly), and no, it’s got nothing to do with Nvidia binning their GeForce Partner Program, either. Glad we cleared that up.

Indeed, Asus were quick to rectify this sorry mess, suspending the offending Twitter account in question and issuing proper, official statements proclaiming that Arez is still very much alive and that anything to the contrary is definitely not legit.

In some ways, however, the fake tweet did make a bit of sense – which is probably why every tech site on the planet fell for it. With Nvidia having now discontinued its increasingly controversial GeForce Partner Program, which rewarded third party graphics card manufacturers for aligning their various gaming brands with Team Green (and was also alleged to have resulted in withheld GPUs if they didn’t, according to a report by HardOCP), the need to have separate brands for Nvidia and AMD doesn’t really exist anymore.

Admittedly, it was never really clear which third party manufacturers participated in Nvidia’s partner program in the first place, as most of the info from HardOCP’s report was made anonymously. However, Asus’ Arez announcement (not to mention MSI’s new Mech 2 series of AMD graphics cards) certainly seemed to suggest that they were one of the select few that did.

Either way, you can rest assured that the future of today’s best graphics cards will remain stuffed to the brim with even more mind-boggling brands and naming conventions and ‘z’s replacing ‘s’s than we know what to do with, because this is what we now live for, apparently. Thank you, Asus, for making our lives a better, richer place.

1. TrentTech says:

Honestly from a consumer point of view I think having separate brands makes sense. Lumping totally different makes into the same brand just adds to the confusion people have about which GPU to buy.

• Sakkura says:

It was never about consumer confusion. Nvidia deliberately obfuscates GPU names all the time (AMD too, for that matter). They already have mandatory bold green box art and various branding stuff that makes it painfully obvious. If you miss those cues, you’d miss the ROG vs. Arez cue too. It’s less informative compared to “Nvidia Geforce GTX” vs. “AMD Radeon RX” anyway.

It was about cutting AMD off from benefitting from established brand names like ROG.

• Arathorn says:

Which is probably also the reason why there was so much resistance from the graphics cards manufacturers. Nvidia basically demanded that they handed over their carefully established brands to them. Asus’ ROG brand would have become Nvidia’s ROG brand (though it seems Asus did comply).

2. Avus says:

Will these “short live” Arez cards become collector item??

3. Ocean112 says:

Azuz, because it had to be done.

4. Don Reba says:

Z is for Zombie. It’s the zombie god of war.

5. BlacKHeaDSg1 says:

I am one of those who doesn’t care about GFX name. First i chose which card i am going to buy, then i check IO and later i compare clock speeds and size of a RAM. I give 0 Fs about the name.

Only plebs cares about the name of a card…. Kappa ;)

• Kasjer says:

Agree. I’m on the same boat. First I’m doing reading which of available GPUs make most sense for my budget and games I play, then I search for cheapest deals, finally when I’ve narrowed my selection down, I go for quieter cooled model as I had my PC in living room, hooked to a TV, for over a decade now. I don’t even take in to account clock speeds because most of the time these differences are insignificant between manufacturers and models, boiling down to about 3fps more at best, and if I’m in need of getting locked frame rate I can always OC or dial a setting or two down. I always go for entry level gaming cards, I admit, as I don’t game at ultra high resolution or refresh rate. But I don’t think my approach would be any different if I would go for mid-tier or high end cards. I honestly can’t remember what was the manufacturer of 750Ti I sold to my colleague few months ago and I needed to take a peek at the back of the PC to double check if current 1050Ti is for sure from Asus.

So yeah, no Fs given about the edgy names of cards. Especially when names and design of almost all gaming hardware and accessories are so cheesy like they were based on ideas and tastes of 12 years old boys.

Comment on this story