Rocket League kicks off at Salty Shores next week

Dig your bucket and spade out the shed, put the ice packs in the freezer, wrestle the frisbee off the dog, and for goodness’ sake buy some new sunscreen you daft lobster, because Rocket League is off to the seaside in a new level next week. The new sports arena is Salty Shores, which looks like it’s set around the Santa Monica Pier (as you might have visited in Vampire: Bloodlines or GTA V) and sounds like a spicy drop zone in Fortnite Battle Royale. Have a peek at the pretty new ballpalace in this here trailer:

That’s a colourful little spot, isn’t it? Salty Shores isn’t just a seasonal map, mind; it’ll stick around permanently.

Salty Shores will arrive next Tuesday, May 29th. That’s also when Rocket League will kick off the start of Competitive Season 8, hand out Season 7’s rewards, and add new cosmetic doodads in the ‘Impact’ crate.

Rocket League’s summer event, named Beach Blast, will start shortly after, running from June 11th to July 2nd.

Later, some time this summer, developers Psyonix plan to add cross-platform parties. The game’s getting a Fortnite-y Battle Pass with progression tracks to chug on through too.

While I’m here, the trailer’s stylings reminded me: isn’t that new Baywatch movie with The Rock and Zac Efron wild? I had no idea what I was expecting but it wasn’t that. Me and the flatmate kept turning to each other and asking “WHAT IS THIS?” I really enjoyed it but what the hell is it? And I certainly didn’t expect a Baywatch movie to end with our heroes visibly gibbing someone. Genuinely, I would recommend it.

1. MrEvilGuy says:

I once travelled to the Los Angeles area for 3 days with sole intention of visiting every location in Vampire Bloodlines. Saint Monica was one of them.

Aerothorn says:

Every since the dev adopted the policy that all maps are functionally identical, I find it’s hard to get excited about a not-new map.

• Gertjan says:

Exactly. I can understand the policy concerning ranked games, but would love to play all kinds of weird maps in casual.
      Used to play rocket labs a lot as well, but almost no one plays there anymore.

• caff says:

I disagree, I hated the unpredictable behaviour of some of the old maps, it led to a loss of focus on the core tactics (and hence fun) of the game. I’m someone who loves variety, but in RL maps it didn’t seem right for the game.

• zind says:

Same here :\

I hadn’t played in a few months and fired it back up with some friends the other night. I got super excited when Starbase came up, but then realized that it had been standardized. What a letdown. Game’s still a blast, but I miss the variety.

• DeepFried says:

Yeah I can’t get excited for a map, but on the other hand i’m very glad there is a standard ‘pitch’ now. RL is an extremely high skill ceiling game and having different pitches was just too much inconsistency for me.

Lo says:

The song! In the trailer! Is wonderlovely!!!

Comment on this story