Adeptus Titanicus cross-pollinates 40K and BattleTech

adeptus-titanicus

There’s an inherent sense of All This Has Happened Before And All This Will Happen Again when you’ve spent as many years as I have writing about videogames, but I got proper head-spinning deju vu when I read about Adeptus Mechanicus: Dominus today. Didn’t I only just post about an XCOMish Warhammer 40,000 turn-based strategy game with a cod-Latin name? Turns out that was Mechanicus, not Titanticus. Obv. Though these icuses share a genre, Titanicus is ploughing more of a BattleTech furrow. Which is to say, giant bloody robo-tanks knocking seven bells out of each other.

I lost my heart to a 40K Titan when I was 13, and I never got it back – so maybe, just maybe, this can overcome my Games Workshop adaptation fatigue.

Let’s go straight into the trailer:

It does look a bit PS3, and I’m not wild about the gameiness of what looks like a points-scoring system. but in fairness it’s based upon the Titan Legions tabletop game – which I’ve never played, my own Titan-love being based upon teenage bouts of Epic 40K. However, we get destructible buildings, a whole mess of Titan and weapon types that are burned into my memory forever, and what looks like a BattleTechish subsystem damage targeting setup.

I came around to BattleTech in a big away, after an unhappy first dozen+ hours, but it remained rather short on personality throughout – maybe the heavy metal charisma of Warlords, Reavers and Warhounds can make up for Titanticus’ noticeably less swanky presentation.

In any case, Titanicus is first launching as an early access dealio, so it might end up looking significantly glossier yet. It’ll also be launching without melee combat, which feels a bit You Had One Job… when it comes to giant robo-tank slugfests, but apparently that’s due to be added in the first major update. This is the first game from two-person Australian developer Membraine Studios, so your guess is as good as mine as to whether they’re gonna pull it off or not.

The initial early access release is next Thursday, May 31. Just skirmish and multiplayer modes in that, but a campaign is due for the full release. Here’s the Steam page if you want to scour for more details or add it to your big, stompy wishlist.

Earl-Grey says:

I’d say this looks more like high-res late Xbox than PS3.
    But I do like big stompy things with big boomy cannons!

2. DarkFenix says:

Looks terrible, clearly one of the pieces of 40k shovelware that’ll be swiftly forgotten, albeit not the worst I’ve seen.

3. DatonKallandor says:

Yeah sadly this is one of those mobile looking 40k trashgames that we get a million of because GW gives their license to everyone nowadays. And because of it, we’ll never get a proper version of Titanicus by a good developer with a budget.

4. Fiyenyaa says:

Whatever happened to that Wraithknight you put together a while ago Alec? Did it get painted? Does it have friends? These are the questions that really need answering.

5. Kalle says:

Two things. First, the appeal of using 40k titans isn’t to fight other titans, it’s to use them to utterly destroy lesser armies of orks, chaos, or other enemies of mankind. Other titans should be fought sparingly while you walk as a god amongst the heretics, spitting plasma fire and crushing them underfoot.

Second, the only good titan design is the Warhound. And in fairness the Warhound looks amazing. But the other imperial titans look like crap. And when you only have three models, total, in a range it’s a lot harder to overlook the shitty ones. Battletech also has its share of shitty models but there are so many different mechs that you’re going to find a couple you like in the end.

• Palindrome says:

Each class of Titan does have various designs though (there are at least 4 different Warlords for example, there are even 2 Imperators)and they are fairly customisable in terms of weapon and ‘equipment’ layout but the lack of real variation would indeed be a problem.
      This game looks pretty bad though which is a shame as it could be interesting; a 40K version of Battletech just like the original Adeptus Mechanicus game was designed to be.
      40K is such a interesting setting that it is a terrible shame that the games that use the license are almost all either mobile shovelware or thoroughly mediocre. Even Games Workshop can’t make effective use of it’s own IP anymore, just look at the new fluff…..
      The possibilities are endless; managing a fleet of Chaos pirates preying on Imperial shipping, a hitmanesque game with an Imperial Assassin infiltrating a Craftworld, A big budget CRPG following an Inquisitor and his acolytes……

• Imperialist says:

Gonna disagree about the best use of Titans. Sure, its great to see them wreck cities and obliterate entire armies with a cannon shot…but 90% of any Titan based drama is mined from the God-machines fighting each other. Engine kill!
      Also i rather think the Warlord and Imperator titans are awesome looking…when the art is up to snuff.

• Ballsssssss says:

Nah, titans have always been siege machines. Yes, they fight each other, but only sparingly. The cool factor of Titans within 40k has always been stomping the crap out of the tiny ants at your feet and obliterating the commander waving his chainsword a mile away, or leaving a smoking set of demon hooves in a flaming pit.

The way this game looks it may as well be 3 space marines walking around a map shooting bolters at each other. There is such little sense of scale here. No feeling like you’re a towering god.

6. sapien82 says:

I will see if this game is any good , but as others have said it looks a bit dated and very much a mobile game!

I wish Dice would just do a battlefield with a warhammer 40K skin
    or at least if someone does a decent enough Arma3 conversion

too many sub par 40K games that always seem to miss the mark or leave out some element that would make the game playable!

Or even maybe a heroes of might n magic style version of 40K

Im going to check out Martyr and see what its like , and I will check out mechanicus , but Im more interested in Necromunda at the moment

7. Zenicetus says:

The graphics quality isn’t that good, but one thing I like is seeing these big dudes firing while moving. That looks great.

We don’t get that in the new Battletech game because movement and firing are in separate phases. Mechs just stand and fire. The only dynamic attacks are melee and Death from Above. Well, it’s probably for the best, since my pilots can’t hit anything half the time anyway, even when standing still.

8. something says:

What exactly is Games Workshop’s licensing strategy? They seem to be deliberately trying to cheapen their brand and burn out the enthusiasm of their fans. Are they scared that one good video game will stop people buying models?

• SomeDuderr says:

I assume their model is aimed at going for quantity instead of quality. Doesn’t matter whether the game’s shit, as long as it sells a lot of units (meaning GW gets a share of the profit), GW will be happy.

9. Adrianis says:

This won’t be their first game, they appear to have also made Exodus Wars: Fractured Empire
    link to metacritic.com

It looks like they’ve since pulled it from steam, but the community page is still there
    link to steamcommunity.com

10. Blowfeld81 says:

Everything about this trailer was mediocre or worse

11. vahnn says:

Baaaaad. I know I’m not the only one calling it. Okay, fine, it’s a two man dev team. But it looks bad.

12. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

I’m pretty sure that the grimdark future is supposed to feel sad and depressing in a completely different way than that did.

Comment on this story