What are we all playing this weekend?

Another long weekend? What a treat! We’re off on Monday then will be back in full force on Tuesday. Bank holidays are traditionally times to visit the seaside, or sit in honking motorway queues headed towards the seaside at least, so I assume that’s what we’re all up to. But bookending that, video games, yeah?

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on!

Alec: CHILDREN’S PARTIES THERE ARE ALWAYS MORE CHILDREN’S PARTIES WHEN DO THE CHIDLREN’S PARTIES STOP
Alice: I’d like to finish plumbing the mysteries of first-person investigator Infra, especially now an expansion is on the way. I myself am certainly going to the seaside, hoping to sun myself on the rocks while listening to the waves. The flatmate has lent me James Ellroy’s memoir-ish My Dark Places too; nothing like a bit of pitch-black reading out in the sun.
Brendan: Brendan has been fired.
Graham: Yoku’s Island Express is the lush, bouncy world of pinballing joy I hoped it would be, at least so far. I’m particularly enjoying its pacing. I was having fun from the very first moments, I feel like I’m quickly discovering new parts of the world, and it is careful to balance challenging rooms filled with tricky-to-make shots alongside moments where you get to sit back and simply watch Yoku ping around.
John: If there are spare moments, it’s going to be more God Of War. I’m very close to the end now, so deliberately ticking off missed quests and being disappointed that the much-hyped rewards are armour I’m already far beyond.

I would also love to find some time to play some Raft, but know that I’ll instead be dragged into the whirlpool that is entertaining a 3yo over a three-day weekend.

Katharine: Having just returned from a whirlwind trip to New York for Acer’s global press conference, the only game I’ll be playing this weekend is ‘How much of the day can I spend snoozing in my pajamas while I catch up on jet lag?’
Matt: I’m on a hill.
Matthew: Down to the coast to work on my sunburn this weekend, so the main game I’m playing is ‘did I set up the automatic cat feeder correctly?’ I guess we’ll find out on Monday. Otherwise, I’m hoping to find time to scrub some dirty buildings in House Flipper. There isn’t much to it, but the gentle repetition of mopping up ambiguous stains and unleashing a Hoover on cockroaches lulls me into a happy place.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Blowfeld81 says:

I am going to play a raid in Hex: TCG with my guild and enjoy the cool features promised in the kickstarter and then… oh wait…that was just a dream, nevermind.

I guess I will try out Tyranny, as it is free to play this weekend and while doing so look at the Dauntless queue, giggling at all the rage. That game is still quite mediocre and has one of the worst community managers I have ever seen, but maybe I can finally make my founders status worth my money as now my friends can join me playing. When they pass the 93k people in front of the queue and overcome the broken matchmaking ^^

Oh, and Prismata. OF COURSE PRISMATA!

PS: is it Tuesday, yet? I need some serious Moonlighter in my life.

2. lglethal says:

Xcom 2 War of the chosen. Yes im late to the party. Yes its as awesome as everyone said. Yes it will steal more hours of my life than I care to admit. I don’t care. It’s great.

If I get tired of that (and have free time – which is unlikely) then I’ll try to finish my Tomb Raider run. Still enjoying it but it doesn’t compare to War of the Chosen.

• klops says:

I started playing it for the first time around a month ago. Pretty great, although now it’s too easy and I don’t wish to go through the end or start a new game on commander.

3. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

I’ve started Life Is Strange, having acquired the full thing in some humble malarkey (I think). I’m probably more intrigued than enamoured with it so far, waiting for The Big Mystery to kick off properly.

• FizicsMcmanus says:

I found the music enjoyable. Also, don’t go into it with huge expectations, it’s just a cool story.

Ninja Dodo says:

It certainly acquires more layers as it goes along. It’s a wonderful game. Be sure to also play Before the Storm later, though possibly take a break in between as it might be jarring to go straight from one to the other.

4. EgoMaster says:

I’m playing one of the leftovers from last year: NecroVisioN. I don’t know why I liked it so much back in the day, now I find it pretty mediocre. My main gripe with it is being slowed down by geometry, especially when you are going up the stairs or over dead bodies. The cheesy horror elements are fun though.

Luckily, my other game is a classic. I’m revisiting Outcast, this time version 1.1, in HD resolution glory. The controls haven’t aged that well, but other than that it deserves everything the word “classic” resembles. When I was playing it for the first time, I was amazed at the attention given to details, such as a character refusing to talk about another person because he is too close and may hear what he says. They simply don’t make’em like this any more.

Also, my GTA: San Andreas modding efforts continue. It’s been 3 weeks, but I’ve come a long way. Vehicle installations are complete, in-game vehicle modding is complete, I’m doing car colors right now. After that I’ll fine tune handling and be done with it. What worries me is, playing it will take less time than modding it.

5. Vacuity729 says:

I’m waiting for the Total Warhammer II update to drop in a few days, and am passing time by running the mini-campaign An Eye for an Eye in the first game. I’ve not played through the mini-campaign before, and am very much enjoying it. I really quite enjoy the beastmen’s battlefield tactics; shock, awe, and ruddy great minotaurs stomping all over any- and everything that doesn’t run away.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Beastmen were a real breath of fresh air for me. I naturally play every race like dwarfs (line of heavy infantry, missiles behind, some artillery) but beastmen took me out of that comfort zone and it was an absolute joy.

• Vacuity729 says:

I’ve been playing since the original Shogun, and have played many, many different playstyles, but I think this is the first time I’ve run with the system that you’re not really aiming to kill that many of your opponent’s troops, just aiming to chain-rout his entire army at the point of contact. Besides, if they’re still alive when you catch them, they stay fresher for longer…

6. mpk says:

I’ll be attempting to get past the first mission of Battletech, again. I dunno if it’s RN Jebus who’s against me, or if I’m just stupid and old, but progress in this game is harder than I expected.

7. wraithgr says:

I’m playing spot the scam in RPS’s ads.

8. kiank37 says:

I will be playing Overwatch, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare campaign, and possibly some Far Cry 5. On the switch I’d like to play some Stardew Valley and get into my second year with Sam as my new boyfriend and maybe play some more Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. On the PC I’m going to play some Oxenfree and continue my builds on Minecraft. Other than that, I’m going to watch Solo: A Star Wars Story.

9. Swordfishtrombone says:

Cinco Paus by Michael Brough (now available on Windows & Mac OS from itch.io! Everyone buy it!). It’s ingenious – he is a wizard. Only have my little Macintosh laptop available at the moment, so can’t run anything too intense… Probably some Slay the Spire, possibly Into The Breach, maybe a bit of Hadean Lands, Minit, oh god why are there so many good games

10. juan_h says:

As it is unseasonably and unpleasantly hot this weekend, I have retreated to the cool of the basement with a laptop and am therefore playing “small-ish games that will run on an older laptop which could really do with a clean Windows install but will not get one for various reasons”. Thus far it’s been Sid Meier’s Ace Patrol, a neat little game which I am not especially good at. I should really go read the Baron-o-pedia and try to figure out what I’m doing instead of choosing abilities and upgrades all willy-nilly.

11. and its man says:

205th hour in Subnautica.

• Ben King says:

I will also be enjoying Subnautica although I don’t have quite so much time in it yet. I’m also playing Mirror Drop thank’s to Dominic Tarason’s thursday article about it. It’s a game utterly unlike Subnautica but the player controls are almost identical (but swap C for Lctrl for y-axis descent) so you can go from swimming with fish to swimming with fractals. It really looks splendid and is a clever set of puzzles to boot. Also playing a bit of Unreal and definitely some Subnautica myself- just took my cyclops to a CREEPY PLACE about 800M down…

• and its man says:

hehe, it can get creepier below. Luckily there’s also one safe haven at about the same depth you’re currently navigating.

About the time spent in it, well that would actually be a hundred hours for me.
        Subnautica is one of those rare solo games that me and my wife can’t seem to be able to play together. We had to opt for separate savegames. Something about conflictual views regarding base-building aesthetics and when an expedition deserves to be called “well-planned”…

Also, many thanks for mentioning Mirror Drop. I had missed Dominic’s review. It looks great, I’ll definitely give it a go.

12. larpsidekick says:

Bimbling around in a couple of 7/10s (Ghost Recon & Mad Max) while listening to podcasts, or continuing my annual Dragon Age run through (this time, mages!) – about to do high class politicking at the Orlesian ball…

13. fish99 says:

Dark Souls Remastered. IMO it’s worth buying (at £17.50 mind you not £35) for the extra performance, I’m able to run it at 4K on a GTX1070 and I haven’t noticed any drops below 60 fps. There’s also some minor improvements to textures, lighting and effects.

Doing a 2-hand dex build. Up to the Gargoyles and died once so far (to the 3rd black knight).

One thing I wish they had changed was the way rolling once you’re locked-on is limited to 4 directions, unlike BB/DS3 where you can roll anywhere, plus fast climbing up/down ladders would have been nice.

• Daymare says:

Goyles fuckin’ ruined me yesterday until I realized I need to start upgrading my weapon asap.

Refused to summon the golden knight dude to the fight and got my ass handed to me until I hammered my fist into my desk so hard I made a visible dent.
      Then I won.

Christ do I miss omnidirectional rolling when locked.

When I fought ’em in 2012, I remember summoning two dudes, and only that way could I ever win. Then I gave up on Moonlight Butterfly.
      Now I realized I could just shoot it with a bloody crossbow.

14. woodsey says:

I’ve finished playing God of War Not 4 on my trusty Zune and am contemplating whether or not to hoover up the leftovers.

15. Zorgulon says:

Inspired by the new Steam event I intend to blow the dust and cobwebs off two unopened games in my library: Transistor and Tacoma.

16. bacon seeker says:

Underrail and Doom. May also try Unforeseen Incidents after that nice review it got.

17. tsff22 says:

In honor of Totalbiscuit, I’ll be playing some Warframe.

• Avioto says:

I’m dissapointed he doesn’t get an article on RPS. Have fun :)

• tsff22 says:

I have to agree, actually. Even Kotaku’s Nathan Grayson, who was apparently one of his biggest critics, wrote an incredibly touching eulogy article for him.

• LennyLeonardo says:

“Kotaku’s Nathan Grayson”. Sniff.

• aepervius says:

Yeah i was expecting anything , even a two liner ,.. but nothing. A well known brit gamer critic dies, kotaku, polygon, ign, pcgamer , eurogamer , bbc, cnn,sun, guardian, express and many other mention it. And yet rps stays mum on that one…

Aerothorn says:

Graham made clear on Twitter, via a RT, that he does not agree with restraining from criticism of Bain due to his death. I suspect RPS decided to say nothing rather than creating an enormous controversy by writing a critical obit.

• Wisq says:

Fair enough. Can’t fault anyone for following the old “if you don’t have anything nice to say, say nothing” adage.

(Lord knows a lot of the internet would be better off if more people did.)

• aepervius says:

There is a difference between heaping praise/criticism on somebody and reporting their death. One is factual the other is an opinion. If one cannot report the fact , the death, without “controverseeing” the report with their opinion, then one maybe should strive become a little bit more mature…

Hugely disappointed and a little sick could not even muster a neutral “today john bain aka cynical brit , a well known youtube reviewer author of the ‘serie wtf is’, died of cancer.” See what i did here ? Neutral. No praise. No hate. Just plain damn facts.

What does this say about rps that they are unable to even muster that without thinking they will stir up controversy ? Imo it is even more contoversial to stay silent.

• Lars Westergren says:

> Neutral. No praise. No hate. Just plain damn facts.

The facts, as you believe them to be.

• Zorgulon says:

@aepervius

But what purpose is served by RPS simply reporting “John Bain is dead”? That has been reported elsewhere. This is not an obituary site.

It seems like the people claiming to be disappointed with RPS’s lack of coverage of his death are really just trying to “gotcha” RPS anyway.

• ludde says:

No, not really. He was highly relevant to gaming and this is a website where people come to get updates on that subject. Why not put aside differences and at least report on the death of someone that touched a lot of people’s lives. It does seem petty.

phuzz says:

I only really knew of him as a commentator here on RPS (right back in the day). Any time I saw mention of him since then I’ve thought “oh yeah, that one from RPS”.

• fish99 says:

Disappointed too. You don’t need to have agreed with everything TB said to express sadness at his passing.

• Lars Westergren says:

Hypothetically – if someone hurt you or people you care about, do you think you should be required to express sadness when they pass away?

• aepervius says:

No. But 1) I doubt you can point direct harm as in really-hurt-we-will-ignore-his-death and 2) that’s the difference between an Obituary and an Eulogy. See nobody expected in eulogy, but at least an obituary (e.g. date of birth, date of death, what the person did). If you can’t remove your own feeling and dispute and be able to do fairly an obituary, from somebody which was rather normal by human standard, That says more about your ability to report fact, than it says anything about the person.

• fish99 says:

If you’re a video games new site, I’d say you should at least pass along the information to your readers. And yes I think if you’re a decent human being you should still be able to express sadness at someones passing and give condolence to their family and friends, even when it wasn’t someone you particularly liked.

18. Freud says:

Heroes of the Storm and Dead Cells.

19. SaintAn says:

Final Fantasy XIV. The Animal Crossing fishing tournament made me want to go fishing in FFXIV.

Hyrule Warriors. Playing Sheik Zelda made me want to play Ninja in FFXIV again, so Ninja in FFXIV too.

Age of Wonders 3 or Shadow Magic. Maybe 2. Maybe start a playthrough of the whole series in order.

And I went on a trip this week and saw my first mountains and forest. The mountains were covered in thick forest and it made me want to play a game with a realistic forest. So maybe I’ll be restarting Witcher 3 because that’s the only one I can think of.

• Poppers73 says:

The forrests in Gothic 2 are really atmospheric.

• Zenicetus says:

Witcher 3 has nice forests, although there isn’t a lot of action set in the deep woods. Unless you count that swamp area, I guess.

Far Cry 5 has some of the best North American/montane forest models I’ve seen in a game, up in the north part of the map. But the actual game content is terrible.

• SaintAn says:

Yeah, one of the things I dislike about Witcher 3 is how there’s not much to encourage exploring, and not random events to keep exploring interesting. Everything is just marked on the map and sitting there waiting for the player to mark it off their checklist.

• hijuisuis says:

Miasmata had the best feeling natural exploration and movement of any game in my opinion. There is forest too, set in an island so the landscape is pretty diverse.

Otherwise as others have said The Witcher is the go to.

20. mverdo says:

Every evening is Laser League evening. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

21. kud13 says:

after being away last weekend, I’m back at plugging away at the (un-remastered) Brood War campaign. I’m up to the 7th Protoss mission now.

Also making some progress with Hard Reset, although the lack of serious enemy variety is beginning to show. The story is pretty nonsensical, so I’m never sure what to expect.

• hijuisuis says:

Hard Reset – damn I love this game but the story was freaking garbage, and I’m pretty tolerant of ridiculous cyborg dystopian stuff.

Ninja Dodo says:

I’ve finally gone back and started up the Dishonored DLCs I never got around to. Finished Knife of Dunwall earlier and have been playing Brigmore Witches this weekend. They are good expansions, you guys.

Also might dip back into AC Oranges for some more Discovery Tours, which are excellent. (having finished Curse of the Pharaohs earlier, which is great if you’re OK with supernatural/mythological additions to the setting… stunning locations again in Thebes, Valley of the Kings and the underworld)

23. Zenicetus says:

Battletech, and some time checking out the new Distant Stars DLC and accompanying patch in Stellaris. I like the new fog of war hiding hyperlanes. Not so sure about the new star cluster layout.

And I finally bought TW Warhammer 2, so that’ll do it for the long weekend. I need to figure out which faction to start with, maybe the Dark Elves.

• Rainshine says:

Re: Stellaris
      Started a new game, having one of the best run-throughs since the one I found a Worm. Not having a sociopathic Fallen next to me is nice, but I’m really enjoying the anomaly boost ss well as the whole hyperlane change

24. Lars Westergren says:

The weather is incredible, so I’m spending as much time as possible outdoors and as little as possible in front of a screen. Younger me would have been disgusted.

But if I have time to play, I think Pillars of Eternity 2 (I’m loving it!) or my second playthrough of Prey on nightmare mode (the sound design is soo amazing, you can feel the Looking Glass/Bioshock legacy), or maybe try Egypt: Old Kingdom, the just released sequel/remake of a very addictive little building/strategy game that was released a couple of years ago.

Iamblichos says:

Dwarf Fortress .44.10, to see how badly the little hair-midgets freak out now that they have memories of past events. So far things are going decently, although I managed to get a squad of my hammerlords locked in prison in a dwarven city when I sent them to find an artifact. They went to a neighboring dwarven civ’s city and proceeded to ruthlessly slaughter about half the population before getting locked up. Not sure what do.

26. Seyda Neen says:

I’m playing Dark Souls for the first time via Dark Souls Remastered. I’ve only played for a few hours so far, still in the Undead Burg. It seems good, though. Twisty levels. I imagine I’ll get a lot more frustrated very soon.

Also Overwatch!

• hijuisuis says:

Try to play it blind, even if you get stuck.

For me, part of the madness/fun of this game was spending every moment away from Dark Souls strategizing about Dark Souls, especially bosses and running scenarios until I could play for real.

I played offline because I like the desolate feeling and the messages break immersion, but YMMV especially with the influx of new players with remastered, could be very fun with a good player base.

• Seyda Neen says:

Thanks for the advice! I have decided to go offline, and am playing mostly blind except for some advice from friends. No videos or wikis though.

27. Ham Solo says:

Post Scriptum. The playtest is live, already alot of fun.

28. FizicsMcmanus says:

So little time this weekend, God of War is on standby and I need to finish it before it gets spoiled. Running with Rifles is odd and I honestly did not mean to get into Dungeons of Dredmore, especially when im trying to concentrate on Pillars of Eternity as my podcast listening game.

Poor Ni No Kuni 2, shelved.

29. Boardwalker says:

Single player: Templar Battleforce (loving this budget title) and GC3 (for my daily fix of 4X).

Multiplayer: A little bit of ESO and WoW, time and wife permitting.

zigguratvertigo says:

I’ve just taken delivery of an Oculus Rift. So for me, Skyrim VR – the game that made me bite the bullet and buy a headset, and some surprisingly good Lucky’s Tale. Also, RIP John Bain.

31. hijuisuis says:

Star Trek Elite Force! Which is based on Voyager, and has almost all the real voice talent.

I think it’s going to be terrible but I don’t care, I love it already. Click on Tuvok in the tutorial:

“Vulcans don’t make small talk.”

particlese says:

Oh man, I loved playing Elite Force. I honestly don’t remember it that well story-wise; just that there are well-known aliens, some new aliens, a scary alien with [potential spoiler redacted], and a lot of Voyager’s A-team along for the ride. And then there are little bits and pieces of the levels and gameplay etched into my mind, in a good way. Enjoy!

• hijuisuis says:

It’s great so far. Full of stupid FPS trash mobs, but they nailed the feel, helps with all the voice cast I guess.

32. Ultrazero says:

with the announced new dlc from paradox, I’ve started to relearn CK2. I once started it, felt it a bit overwhelming and stopped. I’m super glad I gave it another try – with a good youtube walkthrough first and a ‘newbie’start on Ireland in late medieval ages, aiming to reunite ireland (and who knows what other isles from the britannia empire) and be ready to dive into the many DLC I own for this game!

Further I’m diving into the FF14 new content, now I finally have some time to do so. Hurray weekends, boo busy workdays

33. Chaoslord AJ says:

Ok I tried Dauntless which has a two hour waiting queue and feels beta.
    I played the free Tyranny weekend which you should at least try as yeah it’s free.
    Also Age of Wonders 3 is on the list for tomorrow.

34. Rainshine says:

Stellaris and Civ VI. 4X weekend go.
    Bowling along as physicists becoming robots in Stellaris, and enjoying some of the anomalies. I turned my next door neighbor from an enemy to a friend by giving them an old book of theirs I found, uplifted a local group of primitives, and then cultured some fungii to life and gave them a planet, apparently

35. freedomispopular says:

Several days ago Watch Dogs 2 finally went on sale for a cheap enough price that I was willing to pay. After really enjoying the first one, I’ve been wanting the second ever since it came out. Driving isn’t as good as GTA and the story is pretty forgettable, though some of the side missions are a little more fun. There are a few things I miss from the first one and there’s a few additions that I really like. The hacking invasion remains one of my all-time favorite multiplayer modes. So many great experiences of sneakily following someone around San Francisco until just the right moment. And though getting invaded can be a little annoying sometimes, I really love the emergent stories that can take place because of it.

36. Chorltonwheelie says:

I bought Hitman last year but couldn’t get it buttery smooth so saved it ’till I could afford to rebuild my rig. Well, Maximus X Hero and I78700K @5.5 on air(remarkable!)… here we go.
    Beautiful game with everything turned up to eleven. I didn’t realise how funny it would be. It’s encouraging me to come up with comedy deaths at every turn whilst never letting its po face drop. Great stuff.

particlese says:

Mostly Unreal Engine and Github and stuff with some internet buddies, and miraculously not getting distracted by much else.

Comment on this story