Someday You’ll Return brings us back to Silent Hill kinda

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 12.18.44 PM

Saying that something is like Silent Hill is, at this point, like being a gigantic idiot and comparing something that isn’t Dark Souls to Dark Souls. (I stand by it. Don’t @ me.) Or like calling everything Lovecraftian. Unfortunately, there’s really nowhere else to go with this one. Someday You’ll Return is leaning in hard on everything that would make a great first person Silent Hill experience, and oh god (or gods) (or lackthereof) does it look like the Czech-based team is going to stick the landing.

You’re a dad and your daughter Stela keeps running away. This time she’s gone for good maybe, but you also have the means to track her. Also — and get this — maybe reality isn’t everything it appears to be? I know, right? Anyhow, you start down a perilous journey INTO DARKNESS which looks like it plays like Firewatch, if the fire was actually in your soul instead of the dumb woods.

The title has a release date of 2019, but I hope that’s just a trick of my mind and, in fact, the game is already in my Steam library. No. No such luck. Okay.

The game is also set in the forests of Moravia, which is based on real world locations that are all hikable. In fact, the dev team suggests that you should go visit those locations now. If anyone is in the Czech Republic and would like to go look around there — for what is DEF not an ARG game of some sort — please report back to us.

Check out the nightmarish trailer below:

Just, uh, gorgeous looking game. Hints of the film What Dreams May Come in there, right?

You can add the game to your wishlist right now in that ole Steam store.

1. Jokerme says:

This looks like Dark Souls of Silent Hill games.

2. golem09 says:

If I don’t know the game title you are reporting on, it’s sometimes very hard to decipher your article titles. At first glance I wasn’t even sure a video game name was even in the title.

• Baines says:

Unless this article was under a different title before now, the capital letters make the game’s name obvious.

• left1000 says:

I found myself confused on the above the cut read, I actually opened the full article simply because I hadn’t understand at all what was being said in the above the cut. So, I guess, that was the goal? it worked? Usually I only read a couple articles a day, and those are usually the ones I wanted to read.

Basically just agreeing that the headline was confusing, like the guy I am hoping this appears as a reply under.

3. Kodiak343 says:

We need a new genre of “Firewatchlike” :)

4. PuttyGod says:

Whoa, the voice acting on that, “YOUR HYSTERICS AREN’T HELPING, stop calling me,” is just absurdly goofy.

5. aniforprez says:

Why link to some random YouTube channel hosting the video possibly just for the ad money when you could be linking to the official developers’ channel here: link to youtube.com

6. Lars Westergren says:

Huh. Was that a deliberate “A streetcar named Desire” reference?

This looks neat anyway. Half decent reviews and I’ll buy it.

7. Kid28 says:

I am from a town, which lies some 30 kilometers from the locations, which the authors used as a reference and although the gaming world is made much more pretty and much more exaggregated, i see the basic references they used. It is beautiful in there anyway.

8. Captain Narol says:

New spam machine or Skynet fishing for followers, I wonder…

9. PancreaticDefect says:

My prediction? A Silent Hill inspired game where you play a dude whose daughter keeps running away….you’re probably abusing her. Sexually, physically, psychologically or all of the above. In the spirit of the Silent Hill games you’re most likely a terrible father and she repeatedly runs away to escape the abuse but keeps getting brought back by the police. Then one day either she killed you or you killed her and then yourself and now you’re in hell unaware of what happened. Spookiness ensues.

• Jernau Gurgeh says:

I think that you’ve quite possibly nailed the story in it’s entirety and therefore your comment should have a SPOILER ALERT attached to it.

10. Synesthesia says:

Can we stop it with the fucking floating rocks dreamscape already it’s lazy boring and unimaginative. Kthxbye

11. gmx0 says: