Bethesda teasing Fallout announcement as E3 nears

“War,” Ron Perlman will almost certainly growl during Bethesda’s E3 press conference. “War never changes,” he’ll likely continue. Then he’ll go on about some past wars, which were bad, and tell us about fictional future wars which are also bad. Bethesda are teasing some sort of Fallout announcement, see. New or old, original or remaster… we don’t know. But at some point soon we’ll get to see some marketing for a new Fallout thing. E3, E3 never changes.

All this comes from Bethesda Game Studios simply tweeting this today:

Which is obviously ye olde ‘Indian-head test pattern’ as soon on the loading screen in past Fallouts. Hit Bethesda’s Twitch channel and you can see the same loop on a screen behind a Vault Boy toy. It’s Fallout, yeah?

What exactly are they hinting at? Fallout 5? Some sort of 4lout: New Vegas side-game? A new expansion for Fallout 4? Fallout 3 VR? Fallout 4 Switch? Fallout 3 Remastered? A recent rumour said that word of a Fallout 3 announcement had leaked out, but pre-E3 rumours are a dime a dozen and mostly lousy. In short, Fallout, but no idea beyond that.

Capital Wasteland, a mod remaking Fallout 3 inside Fallout 4, recently shut down due to legal troubles over wanting to import Fallout 3’s voicework. Don’t take that to mean Bethesda were clearing a path for their own remake, mind – it was a real legal concern.

Bethesda’s E3 press conference is due to start at 6:30pm Pacific on Sunday, June 10th (which is 2:30am on the Monday for us here in the UK) and will be livestreamed on Twitch, YouTube, and so on. As well as whatever this is (assuming Bethesda don’t announce it beforehand), it’ll likely include more on the recently-announced Rage 2 and that Prey Moon expansion-seeming thing they’ve been blurbling about and hinting at for months. And other stuff.

1. Beefenstein says:

Fallout 4: Skyrim edition, with the gameplay and characters of Skyrim in a post-apocalyptic Skyrim world. This is because Bethesda have a bet with God that they can sell endless copies of Skyrim for the rest of time.

2. DoomBroom says:

A game made for VR from the ground up rather than a port would be nice.

• milligna says:

Whatever Avellone was tweeting about recently in VR please. The recent update to Fallout 4 VR really improved it for me and I’m having a lot of fun with mods and combat tweaks. More of that would be super appreciated.

• Vandelay says:

Hopefully they will be announcing all the expansions being included in Fallout 4 VR, as with Skyrim VR. I don’t think that is what is being hinted at here (it will surely be a bigger announcement then that, such as a new New Vegas style release), but it is what I’m holding out on. I’m not spending double the amount than the complete flat screen version just for the base game in VR.

• LexW1 says:

It’s probably a Fallout 3 remake, and likely has VR. But still probably a Fallout 3 remake.

• racccoon says:

Lol, Vr is dying a quick death.

3. Palindrome says:

The first good Fallout game since 1998?

I fully expect to be disappointed though.

• mitrovarr says:

I can see a hardcore FO1/2 fan not liking 3 or 4, but wouldn’t you have liked NV then?

• Addie says:

Speaking as a hardcore 1 & 2 fan: yes, 3 was fine and New Vegas was great, but then 4 was so dull, dreary and not-an-rpg that I don’t have enough anticipation for a new Fallout game that I could be disappointed by it. Or any other Bethesda game, if that’s the direction they’re taking. Especially if, as conjectured by others, that it’s a chance to experience the repetitive gameplay, illogical plot and amateurish writing of 4 with both eyes at once. That is not what needs fixing with the game.

Still, if the announcement is a new game developed by not-Bethesda, then I might be interested again, but I’ll certainly be waiting for the reviews to come in and the dust to settle before considering it.

• Palindrome says:

I don’t like the base game mechanics which meant that NV wasn’t the game that I would have preferred.

• mitrovarr says:

Did you like Wasteland 2?

• Palindrome says:

It was reasonably enjoyable but I didn’t like it enough to finish it; 50 hours according to Steam so I probably wasn’t all that far off in fairness. I am currently replaying FO2 again (again…) and the combat mechanics in it are still very good although much of the rest of the game hasn’t aged all that well. I would love to see a real FO3 but at this stage we seem to be stuck with a brown version of Oblivion/Skyrim.

• BobbyDylan says:

I didn’t. I think using a 3d Engine was a mistake. They should have used 2D terrain, like Pillars, or gone propperly 3D like XCom. It was neither and ugly as can be.

• shadow9d9 says:

Why? NV was a fps…a fps dressed in the fallout world. Not the same genre.

• Evan_ says:

Have you tried Fallout Online? It’s like EvE, with F1-2 engine. Painful as life on the wasteland should be. :]

• Rashism says:

They’ll never be able to come close to the originals. They sure can try, Cuz $$$$$$$$

Bethesda just shits all over the franchise. It sells, though. What do I know?

4. Catweasel says:

I hope whatever it is Bethesda isn’t the one making it.

• ZippyLemon says:

Yeah BGS are supposedly at work on three projects: two new IPs plus pre-production on TES 6. If they’ve been spending time and resources on Fallout 4 content as well then god damn Imma resign myself to purchasing TES 6 for my grandchildren.

And I don’t even have children.

5. Plok says:

What I’m hoping for: Another Fallout: NV spin-off and Obsidian have been wonderfully good at misdirecting us over this.

What it probably is: FO4 Switch port with Vault-tec bobblehead amiibo (that we can see on the Twitch stream).

• Blackcompany says:

My first thought, too, was “which console are they porting FO4 to?”

On the other hand, CAN it be a new game? If so…it would surely have to have a new engine, wouldnt it? I mean, they cannot possibly launch another game on Gamebryo 1.5…or Hero, in the case of an MMO…can they?

• DawnSword says:

well its probably not a new engine but alot of Fallout 4’s problems werent really coding or engine related, if in good hands they can definitely make a great FO game like NV even tho it would still probably be kinda buggy
        overall I wouldnt hold my breath for a new engine but personally I think this is a new spinoff

• Plok says:

You’d hope that they would have used the last 2-3 years since the release of Fallout 4 to at least refine Gamebryo further. But they have been spending time re-re-releasing Skyrim and then the VR release for that and for Fallout 4. Plus they were doing the expansion content for Fallout 4 too plus Creation kit support and that Creation Club thing. But Bethesda are enormous so hopefully there was at least one lovely human in a side-room tearing Gamebyro to pieces.

• montfalcon says:

I literally came down here to crack a sarcastic and slightly bitter joke about it definitely not being an announcement of a new engine. As much as I love Creation Engine/Gamebryo 1.1 (Morrowind is one of my all-time favourite games!) it’s been 16 years since the first Bethesda Elder Scrolls using it. It’s time for more than just a new lick of paint every 2 years.

• onodera says:

Obsidian have tweeted out #ItsNotUs already.

6. alsoran says:

No pre-order this time for me, I hated the building communities bit, the interface was rubbish, you can put to much into a game you know.
    I guess it’ll be payed mods, VR or my favourite 50 pence bet, an online thingy like elder scrolls. Deep joy, hope I’m wrong on all counts.

7. HiroTheProtagonist says:

Honestly, I’d be happy to see Fallout die. The first two games were excellent, Tactics was kinda okay in an experimental sense, BoS was hilariously shit, 3 was kinda bleh, New Vegas was a direct improvement on 3, and 4 was a piss-poor mashup of Minecraft and Borderlands with a Fallout 3 skin. We’ve reached the tipping point where there are more bad games (depending on your opinion of 3, which as I understand is polarizing) than good ones.

• Crafter says:

At this point, I have the same opinion.

I have not tried FO4 (it just seems dreadful) so feel free to correct me but from what I have seen, it follows the same formula of FO3 of putting all the staples of the first 2 games in a tone deaf manner.

Worse than failing to make the world evolve, it self parodizes elements of the previous games.

Even though the Obsidian people could make another gem out of Bethesda’s excrements, at this point I am just willing to forget about fallout.

• LexW1 says:

Yeah, I hate to say it, but you have a point, and I think I agree. Fallout 1/2 were special in the world of RPGs not for their engine, or the combat, or even really being set in a post-apocalypse, but rather because they actually told interesting, thoughtful stories, and a made a real effort to think about decisions and actions and consequences, not of the player, but of the NPCs as well. They were not “style over substance”.

I remember going from Fallout 2 to Baldur’s Gate, and heresy as this might be, being appalled at how trashy BG was by comparison, in terms of story and ideas and so on.

Fallout 3 was pure style over substance, and it wasn’t even the same style! A clearly inspired one, sure, but not the same, and it had no ideas of its own, just borrowed ideas from FO1/2. And it was confused as to whether it was an RPG or a sort of “guided experience”, but largely fell on the side of RPG.

NV was clearly an attempt to get back to the Fallout of 1/2 in the new engine and despite the disastrous bugs and so on, it pretty much managed it. It wasn’t quite as daring or classic, but it was solid and far more entertaining and engaging than FO4.

Then what to even say about FO4? It feels like a Fallout game by people who heard about, and saw screenshots from, Fallout 3, but never played any other Fallout games. It “doesn’t get it” in a bizarre way, a way which influences everything from the next-level-terrible storyline (with the most obvious “twist” in gaming history, which the player probably realizes with 30 minutes, but the character isn’t allowed to realize for god-knows-how-long), and it’s very definitely a move away from any kind of “RPG” to bad looter-shooter (sure, the shooting is way better than 3/NV, but it’s still not “good” – this isn’t like ME2/3 which were actually decent TPSes for their time – in fact ME3’s MP was probably some of the best MP TPS that’s ever happened), and it really has none of that Fallout charm, despite having a couple of stand-out NPCs.

So if Fallout is “done”, well, I guess that’s that. Maybe someone else will make a better post-apocalyptic CRPG.

Drib says:

Fallout: Tamriel

9. DatonKallandor says:

Fallout: Royale.

10. Amstrad says:

Fallout 4 for the Switch. It pains me, but I can’t see it being anything but this.

11. Zenicetus says:

I’m ready for a new Fallout, warts and all. And it will have warts, I’m sure. That “1950’s future that never happened” vibe just never gets old for me. NV was the better game, but I managed to finish Fallout 4 and the DLC campaigns mainly on the strength of the environment design. It helps mask all the inevitable rough edges.

I’d even take another game with the same engine, although that would bring an avalanche of complaints, I’m sure.

• Blackcompany says:

Agreed. The campy 1950s thing has GOT to go. Its completely at odds with the post apoc atmosphere. And its stupid to boot. There is no one alive and playing video games who can really relate to that era any longer…or precious few, at best. To me, its just hokey and stupid.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Either you misread that person’s comment or I misread yours.

• Zenicetus says:

I think you misread my comment. And I bet I’m also a lot older than you, so I can relate better to the sense of goofy optimism in sci-fi of that era.

• LexW1 says:

How old are you? I’m 40 and I dislike the Fallout 3/4-specific 1950s-Americana-forever aesthetic, which isn’t the same aesthetic as FO1/2/NV, where the 1950s aesthetic is only one of several aesthetics, and it’s much more “1950s sci-fi” not “1950s Americana”.

12. Sin Vega says:

Fallout Online.

Or! Perhaps they’ve hired a writer.

13. Werthead says:

Order of possibilities:

Fallout 3 Remaster
    This makes the most sense. October 2018 marks the tenth anniversary of Fallout 3’s release and the game has not aged as well as might be desired. A fresh spruce of paint to get the game looking good for modern systems and the integration of the five (mostly) excellent expansions into the core game would be good moves.

Fallout: New Vegas Remaster
    I mark this as a bit less likely. Although it was a great game, New Vegas suffered from bugs on release and a few remain in the game to this day. A modern remake which revamps the graphics and eliminates those issues would be good. However, Obsidian have confirmed they are not involved and are unaware of the project, which suggests it isn’t them. In addition, remastering New Vegas makes more sense if they’ve already remastered Fallout 3, which is in more urgent need of it.

Fallout: The TV Series or Movie
    We know Bethesda has flirted with TV and movie interest in their works, but they’ve always been wary of the idea, despite it being better-suited to their games than a lot of others (since an Elder Scrolls or Fallout video game would likely be a whole new story in one of the established settings). Given the amount of talent out there who’d jump at a Fallout show and the number of outlets that would be interested, this is more likely than it may first appear.

Fallout 4 on a new platform
    This is possible, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see Bethesda start milking Fallout 4 remakes and remasters for the next ten years as they have with Skyrim, but it seems unlikely they’d make this amount of fuss about it. If they spent two weeks working people up for the announcement and it’s Fallout 4 Switch Edition, fans would get very annoyed. Also, apart from the Switch there isn’t actually many places it could be ported to.

Fallout Online
    There have been several previous attempts to make a Fallout MMORPG and Bethesda’s parent company, ZeniMax, seem to be happy with the success of The Elder Scrolls Online, so Fallout Online is a distinct possibility.

Fallout 5/Brand new Fallout game
    This seems rather unlikely for multiple reasons. For starters, Bethesda like to alternate game series and, given it’s been seven years since the last Elder Scrolls main game and only two-and-a-half since the last Fallout game, I’d imagine we’d see Elder Scrolls VI long before Fallout 5 (and both only after the alleged new IP). The only exception to this may be if they outsource the game development as they did with New Vegas. Obsidian are not involved if so, but there’s some ex-Fallout talent at both inXile and Larian Games. They could also simply bring in a second inhouse team, or one of their fellow Zenimax companies like Arkane. Another possibility is a spin-off game in a different genre in the same universe, like more of a straight FPS game (although given id’s recent announcement of Rage 2 that seems unlikely, as they’d be very similar) or maybe some kind of strategy game.

• Zenicetus says:

I would buy a Fallout 3 remaster. And yeah, it should be a full GOTY edition with the DLC’s, especially “Broken Steel” that cleaned up the disappointing ending of FO3.

• sosolidshoe says:

I’d also buy a Fallout 3 remaster.

Two years after release, once the mod community has had a chance to restore all the complexity Bethesda will inevitably have cut out, fix most of the bugs, and implement a functional PC UI.

Assuming it’s not just a thrown-together excuse to try a variation on paid mods again of course.

• MattM says:

Bethesda doesn’t fix old bugs. There have been fan patches addressing known bugs with simple fixes that have been ignored for years by Bethesda. If they release a new version of an old game, I’d expect improved textures and old bugs to be re-introduced.

• cjone2 says:

it’s been seven years since the last Elder Scrolls main game

• hfm says:

OMG. Larian making a top-down Fallout using their Divinity:OS tech would be SOOOOOOO MUUUCHHHHHHH ***HEAD EXPLODES***

• Awkward_Seppuku says:

Man, I wouldn’t want Larian anywhere near Fallout. Their writing is some of the worst I’ve ever seen.

• LexW1 says:

The gameplay would no doubt be amazing.

But Larian has worse writers than Bethesda, which is astonishing but there you are. With DOS2, they hired in Chris Avellone to make them less awful (and they have an RPS guy too), but Avellone is gone to some other studio (basically Irrational Games), and it’s clear the three main writers for Larian are still the main writers, and still completely terrible.

A Fallout written by them would be horrifying.

• Auldman says:

The writing in the Divinity series is vastly better than in Fallout 4 plus the quests are way better designed. Larian would do a better job and deliver a game with less bugs and if there were bugs Larian would actually fix them.

• LexW1 says:

“Although it was a great game, New Vegas suffered from bugs on release and a few remain in the game to this day.”

Just as a point of order, the exact same can be said of Skyrim, and that is still absolutely true after the Enhanced Edition, VR version and so on. They fixed one (1) major bug with the Enhanced Edition, like, randomly, out of a few dozen (there are thousands of bugs but a maybe a few dozen ones which are likely to cause real problems).

So I don’t think that would deter Bethesda. Or it would be bizarre if it did.

• brucethemoose says:

Fallout 3 is closer to Oblivion than Skyrim. Straight up porting it to FO4’s engine like Skyrim wouldn’t be nearly as easy. Same with New Vegas.

There’s also a distinct possibility I almost dare not say:

Fallout Battle Royale.

You laugh. But you also know Bethesda would do it.

14. geldonyetich says:

Meanwhile, somewhere in Bethesda HQ:

“Wait, there are how many people watching the Twitch channel teaser?”

“About 88,000. It’s still going up. At this rate it’s set to be the single most watched channel on Twitch.”

“Son of a-! We were just going to let that stream run into E3 as a promo! We don’t actually have anything to show on it! It was supposed to be for a crappy Fallout Shelter port to the Switch!”

“Can we pull the plug?”

“It’s too late for that now. Our only choice is to cryogenically freeze ourselves for 1,000 years.”

“Agreed.”

15. N'Al says:

My money’s on a Gridiron remake.

16. Chaoslord AJ says:

Oh great, another Fallout game. Don’t get me wrong F4 was ok but problems were obvious.
    Will they just drop another game on the pile, cringy story, unfixed bugs and awful facial motions included?
    I’d rather have another Elder Scrolls now and unless they don’t change the Fallout-scenario drastically and just rehash the same game over and over this goes to the “wait for goty on sale” -pile.

• mitrovarr says:

I didn’t think the story to FO4 was that bad. Better than FO3, certainly.

FO:NV is of course on a different level, but most companies is don’t have that kind of writing talent.

• LexW1 says:

The story to FO4 is pretty appalling. Better than FO3, I agree, but not by much.

I mean, it’s a very similar story, only you are a parent searching for their child and finding he’s SPOILER ALERT actually a bad dude, rather than a child searching for their parent and finding he’s SPOILER ALERT actually a bad dude.

It’s badly told, your character is forced to act like an idiot in rather extreme fashion, and the late-game choices are PARTICULARLY BAD, albeit still not as bad as FO3. Plus the urgency of the task mixes very poorly with the “Pls fuck around and explore everything and build settlements and shit” of FO4. I mean, you can get away with that, but not when you’ve told your voice actors to be totally anguished and desperate in their quest for their son, and all the dialogue up to a certain point reflects that.

phuzz says:

I guess ignoring the main storyline in a Bethesda game is the way they intend it to be played.
          I either rush through and finish it as quickly as possible, giving me time to potter around and do all the side quests. Or keep putting it off (ignoring all the upset NPCs telling you that ‘you have to do something about the big bad right now!’), and do all the side quests, before powering into the main story, massively over levelled, and just gawking at all the spectacle (lets face it, the story was crap, but blowing up the Institute was fun :).
          Then start the DLC and do the same again on a smaller scale.

Still, by E3 I should have just about finished my first play through of FO4 and I can pre-order buy a different game.

17. ZippyLemon says:

I don’t give a flying fuck about Fallout 4 ports or remasters or DLC. Really hope BGS finally talk about something new this year. Starfield or a different new IP, I don’t care, just give us a peak already.

My body needs to know progress is being made towards TES 6.

18. Neurotic says:

In the words of the immortal Elaine Benes, “GET OUTTA HERE!”

19. Mark_S says:

Eh, I bounced so hard out of F4 some ways into the main plot. Massive dissapointment. Tried it with several of the big gameplay mods, but nothing that hit that sweet spot of F3+FWE that I managed to sink 100’s of hours into. The whole settlement building mechanic seemed to me like a huge distraction in terms of time as well as totally undermining the wasteland scavenger experience I was looking for. If anyone can recommend some decent mods, I might be willing to give it another go. I don’t hold out too much hope for F5 – if that’s what this is.

• Zenicetus says:

If it’s any help, the settlement building mechanic can be mostly ignored. I didn’t care for it either. Just built a few to insure a steady enough supply of the essential crafting materials like adhesive, and ignored the rest.

Somewhere there is a mod that stops Preston from constantly annoying you about settlements that need saving, but I can’t remember the name.

20. Werthead says:

According to Jason Schreirer at Kotaku, who usually has good intel:

“Some fans have also theorized that this might be some sort of remaster of either Fallout 4 or Fallout 3, but from what we’ve heard, this is a new game, one that takes the series in a brand new direction. We’re expecting to see more tomorrow.”

Hmm. Telltale Fallout?

21. Kaeoschassis says:

If Obsidian aren’t involved my excitement for it is honestly not that high, but I like to remain optimistic anyway. Who knows what we might get.

22. omega13 says:

I don’t understand the hate people have for fallout 4, I found it fun. I enjoyed F3, I enjoyed New Vegas, and for F4 I have 351 hours in and still enjoy it with mods. I would like to see a Fallout 5 that finally includes a coop mode to play with a friend. You meet plenty of a.i in the damn games why not allow us to bring 1 friend to play too.

Qazinsky says:

You and me both, buddy.

As for Coop, as much as I’d like it, I am not sure they could make it work. Every house is still behind a load screen, I doubt keeping track of another player character with its own inventory, quest progress and stuff is in the cards.

23. caff says:

I’d rather see a new Elder Scrolls game. I’d actually leak multiple fluids into my pants for that.

I wonder if this will be a big FO4 expansion. I must admit I haven’t played any of the existing DLCs out there, as they didn’t sound very revolutionary.

24. bacon seeker says:

Playing Underrail again made me realize how much I would love another old-school Fallout game. Doubt that’s in the cards though, and I haven’t really loved any Bethesda RPGs since Morrowind.

• hfm says:

I was super hoping to see a top-down 3rd person Fallout. But that’s not really a “new direction”. Shrug.

Whatever this new direction is, I hope it still has good single player.

25. DEspresso says:

Let’s predict the worst option:
    A Mobile-only game called Fallout: Missile Command

• dufake says:

I guess the MMO is worse than a mobile game. See? We get the ESO Summerset instead of a real TES Summerset. Next time, Fallout 5 will be delayed forever, because there’s a FallOut OnLine by ZeniMax.

26. SaintAn says:

Well whatever it is, it is probably going to be a massive let down and waste of the Ip. And it will certainly have some sort of greedy scam system like paid mods, microtanstactions, loot boxes, or some other terrible system where they take money and don’t give anything of worth in return.

27. racccoon says:

Fallout in S P A C E :)

28. Blowingsand says:

Fallout the entire east coast – add NYC & remaster – “A Tale of Three Wastelands”

29. brucethemoose says:

Shouldn’t Bethesda have learnt their lesson?

They hype some big mysterious release every year, no, multiple times a year. And when it turns out to be Skyrim VR or a mobile game, you can just FEEL the disappointment in the physical crowd… Much less the comments section.

It’s not just scummy, it’s bad for long-term business. It’s already ruined the reputation of their streams and E3 conference, and doing it again will just further cement the stink.

30. nifft.batuff says:

Fallout Sim Life with added microtransactions.
    And a lot of people will buy it no matter what, because it is ‘Fallout’.

31. Mortomes says:

I bet they’re going to announce a cease and desist for the HOI4 Old World Blues mod.

32. JustAchaP says:

inb4 Fallout Shelter 2

33. Synesthesia says:

I hope they change the engine. This series can be so fugly.

Comment on this story