Roguelikelike FPS Bunker Punks busts out

BunkerPunks_header

Right, bear with me while I figure out how to write about a retro FPS without stepping on Dominic Tarason’s (constantly strafing) toes. Bunker Punks is a roguelikelike shooter about stopping THE MAN from doing something BAD, I think involving death robots. I’m not sure, because I skipped the opening text scrawl so I could jump straight into the running and gunning that Rob Zacny enjoyed when he punked some bunkers back in 2016. It came out of early access yesterday, so I figured now that Ninja Robot Dinosaur Entertainment have spent another two years bunkering down on development I’d be in for a treat.

I was! As was revealed on the latest podcast, old school FPS’s are a bit of a blind spot for me – so I can’t tell you if the gunplay is Quake-quality or Doom worthy. Rob Zacny can though:

“It’s easy to underestimate Bunker Punks. It looks like a hundred other games. But it’s so precise and considered about each of the things it attempts to do that it won me over. From moment-to-moment, the run-and-gun gameplay reminded me of why I spent my childhood playing games like this, and the semi-roguelike approach to progress and permadeath always left me ready to dive back in for another attempt to destroy the corporations.”

That roguelikelike layer sees you building up a bunker between missions and lives, pumping up your punk’s stats and expanding their abilities.

Maybe ‘old school’ is a bit misleading, in that this is about hopping around procedurally generated levels rather than carefully sculpted levels with secrets and whatnot. The combat is definitely in the same vein though. While I’m yet to play origi-Doom (I will soon John, promise) I did play a bit of Dusk recently, and found the fast paced strafing to be similarly satisfying and punchy. I wasn’t blown away by the enemy variety in Bunker Punks so far, but that’s probably because I’ve only played for 20 minutes or so. There are plenty of robo-corp horrors that I haven’t seen yet in this here trailer:

Bunker Punks is available on Steam, with a 15% launch discount that puts it at £9.34/$12.74/€12.74.

1. FredSaberhagen says:

It looks like garbage?

2. nitwit says:

How does it compare to Strafe? I love the style of that game, but the difficulty is a little much for me. Maybe this one is more my speed?

• Ribonizer says:

I remember playing the alpha demo and it was much fun. And it certainly feels more like a Doom-era FPS than Strafe. Strafe completely failed at delivering that. It looked like it but played nothing like it because of the rogue-like element. This is Rogue-like too, but HP is more abundant and it’s not all about constantly kiting monsters around.

3. Spacewalk says:

That’s a really badly drawn gun.

4. melerski says:

The trailer needs to calm down.

Drib says:

You haven’t played original Doom? I’m going to assume you were too young at the time, and that makes me feel old :(

• Kaeoschassis says:

I was gonna say pretty much exactly this. But I won’t. Because you did.

Instead I’m just going to say, please play original Doom. It genuinely is a masterpiece. And if you click with it, you’ve got a bunch more official content and then TWENTY ODD YEARS of community stuff to keep you contented.

I have probably clocked more hours on Doom of one form or another than the next two or three of my ‘most played’ games combined, by now.

• BeardyHat says:

It could just be a blind spot for him. I’m 34, I have a friend who’s 35 and also a gamer. He has not played any of the classic FPS’s–which were formative for me–because he was playing Adventure Games, X-COM, stuff on N64, etc.

It’s just a total blind spot for him, so I can imagine it being such for many other people. If I recall, even at the time Doom was making people motion sick; so people could have avoided it on those grounds alone.

• MajorLag says:

It’s weird right? Like, if a film critic had never seen Citizen Kane or Star Wars.

6. Gorillion says:

Wow. This game was a blast but it’s all of like 2 or 3 hours long on normal. Higher difficulties are there, but I’m honestly surprised it’s so short. Fun but would not recommend given the length.

7. April March says:

I can’t get over how much this looks like a violent version of Bernband.

8. Caiman says:

Is the deeply annoying trailer voice man in the actual game? Because if so, no sale. Ugh. Otherwise this looks great, but if it has some kind of hyperactive announcer / NPC who I’d want to throttle in real life in it, I’d go spare unless I could turn voices off.

Comment on this story