Wipeout-ish racer Antigraviator’s demo hovers out

Human civilisation has been in the slow lane since prehistoric times, when Sir Isaac Newton created gravity and suddenly we needed wheels to push around anything (e.g. potatoes, geese, other people, parts to create more wheels). But racing games like Wipeout offer hope of a future where we might perhaps close Newton’s Pandora’s Box, rid ourselves of gravity, and zoom around mega-fast and upside-down as our ancestors did. You can experience a taste of this future in the free demo for Antigraviator, a new hover-racing game which will launch in full next week. Go on, stick it to Newton.

Antigraviator is a zip-zoom-fast racing game featuring hovervehicles and tracks full of big turns, loops, and upside-down-y bits. As if racing at 600km/h weren’t exciting enough, the tracks are littered with ‘trap’ pick-ups which range from actual traps, like triggering rock slides or activating electricity sparks, to things I’d straight-up call weapons, like mines and missiles. If missiles are just a ‘trap’, me kicking you up the jacksy is just banter.

I’ve played the demo, and it sure is a hover-racing game. Ah, I’ve not enough familiarity with ’em to really judge. I liked going fast and going upside-down. Nailing a corner at top speed with careful taps of the air brake is nice. The announcer voices stand out as daft. Some thoughts, there.

Along with a tutorial, the demo offers three tracks to race around against, supporting AI opponents and split-screen multiplayer (the full game will have online racing too). Customisation is in too, if fancy painting some futurecars. You can download the 800MB installer from Itch.io, Game Jolt, and Indie DB.

Antigraviator is coming via Steam on Wednesday, June 6th. It’s made by Cybernetic Walrus and published by Iceberg Interactive.

I never did get around to playing the finished version of the Wipeout-y Formula Fusion – what’s it like, gang? And Lightfield is still on the horizon, looking interesting.

1. rangerfall says:

if a fan of wipeout, see also BallisticNG link to store.steampowered.com

• Ansob says:

Seconded. BallisticNG is fantastic, especially if you have fond memories of the PSX Wipeouts.

• DarkFenix says:

It looks pretty much like a copy paste of Wipeout, right down to PSX-era graphics. I have fond memories of Wipeout, but seeing something old copied so precisely makes me roll my eyes, low res/poly graphics were not part of Wipeout’s charm.

• GeneJacket says:

If I remember correctly, BallisticNG started out as a Wipeout 3 romhack/mod of sorts, so it’s using the same engine (or a close approximation of it).

• Megatron says:

Thirded. I actually plugged B-NG yesterday on the post about the Descent-a-like.

It’s Wipeout. It looks like it, feels like it, plays exactly like it. The two (!) developers have done an outstanding job.

I love the options it has, too. Being able to set the polygon calculations to the nearest whole integer, so you get that old-skool PS1 “look” as the vertices on cars and tracks jump ever-so-slightly….that’s devotion and a HALF, that is. Fake 320×240 res mode and colour rastererising are great fun, too. And then of course you can go the OTHER way and race with a gorgeous modern look.

It’s an amazing love-letter to the Wipeout series and astonishingly costs only £4! If you’re a fan of Wipeout you’d be mad NOT to get it.

2. Megatron says:

Tried the demo. It’s F-Zero much more than it’s Wipeout, which I thought it might be from watching the video. Probably great if you’re into that game but not for me.

3. RadicalHorse says:

If you love these sort of games and you are living outside of UK, take a look into FPV drone racing. Flying quadcopters feels quite similar but all aspects of flying, drifting and power sliding have more dimensions. Real life consequences of crashes keep your adrenaline high and any progress you make feels way more satisfying. Plus it will force you outside and you will meet a lot of friendly nerds.

4. fray_bentos says:

The game looks the part, but there is something off about the physics in regard to how the vehicles interact with the air/ground track. It almost feels like one of those on-rails FMV racers from the 90s. It doesn’t feel like an AG racer. Music is a bit pants also. I’d massively recommend Redout over this.

Comment on this story