Nvidia Turing graphics cards reveal set for August

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Mini small

After months of speculation and a will-they-won’t-they game of leaked and delayed release dates, Nvidia look set to finally reveal all about their upcoming Turing graphics cards and the GTX 1180 this August. There’s a chance we may hear about them formally beforehand, of course, especially if the current rumours about a GTX 1180 Founders Edition appearing next month are to be believed, but whatever happens, the program outline for this year’s Hot Chips conference suggests we’ll definitely be hearing at least something about what’s in store on August 20.

Hop over to the full program for Day One of the Hot Chips conference, for instance, and you’ll see Nvidia’s Stuart Oberman is due to take the stage at California’s Flint Center for the Performing Arts at 11.30am to talk about “Nvidia’s Next Generation Mainstream GPU”. There’s not a lot else to go on, admittedly, but this is the first time we’ve seen something set in stone from a reliable, credible source that actually exists and definitely hasn’t been pulled out of the ether from a nebulous cloud of anonymous nonsense.

Now, Hot Chips is a conference that typically focuses on high performance hardware. But the fact Nvidia’s talk specifies they’ll be talking about their next ‘mainstream’ GPU suggests we’ll almost certainly be on track for more details about their 11-series Turing cards, such as the GTX 1180 and GTX 1170, rather than their more businessy-orientated GPUs, which are currently going under the code name Ampere.

Nvidia is speaking at Hot Chips 2018

Nvidia’s Stuart Oberman is due to take the stage at 11.30am on August 20. Click to expand.

At the moment, most of today’s release date rumours are still pointing toward an autumn release date for Nvidia’s Turing cards, and given the timing of the Hot Chips conference, it’s possible this may still be the case. Talk about what’s in store first, and then launch them shortly afterwards. That’s how these things tend to go.

And yet, there’s that small issue of that supposed Founders Edition appearing next month. Of course, there’s nothing stopping Nvidia from launching the Founders Edition first, then going to Hot Chips to talk about the wider Turing family before launching the rest of their consumer cards alongside a proper third-party release a month or two later.

Both options sound equally plausible. Only time will tell, of course, but at least we’ve finally got one date that actually means something. So mark it down in your calendars, folks. It’s going to be a fun few months.

1. Avioto says:

I had to look at the thumbnail multiple times to make sure there wasn’t a pretzel in there.

2. Astaa says:

This is what happens when there is zero competition. Dates get pushed back, and back, and back.

AMD need to give themselves a bit of a shake, they are an absolute disaster.

• mitrovarr says:

They’re doing fine in the processor department. Ryzens have been flying off the shelves.

• Ryuthrowsstuff says:

They’ve largely been doing fine in the GPU space as well, even as they haven’t popped out a “most powerful EVER” card at the top of the market. At MSRP their down range cards are extremely competitive, and well priced. And their selling every card they can produce.

Their GPU problem in large part boils down to pricing. Miners prefer AMD’s card so price inflation hit them early, and hit them hard.

• sion12 says:

I am waiting to see if intel will enter the race with a big bang when their gpu release.

• brucethemoose says:

That’s awhile away. Going from initial design to a silicon chip in a box takes years, and AFAIK Intel just hired Raja and started the work.

3. punkass says:

Help me hive mind! I have a quandary…

I finally built a gaming PC in January, but didn’t buy a GPU as prices were still silly and I knew I was going away for a couple of months. Plus I can chew through some of my steam backlog on internal graphics.

I get back in July. Is it worth holding out for another month (or 2, or 3, or…) to get the latest shiznitz, or should I take advantage of sensible prices whilst I can?

I only game at 1440p and my monitor maxes out at 60hz. I considered grabbing a 1060, but then I’d just skip the 11 generation if I did that, whereas I feel like a 1070 or 1070ti would see me good for years (I rarely buy games in the first year they’re out anyway).

My chief worry is missing the boat and there’s another price explosion for whatever reason. But it feels foolish to shell out when new tech is so close – even if I just wait and buy a 1070ti when the price drops.

Does anyone have any advice? Will current gen prices tank when all the specs get announced mid-July?

• Dritz says:

From my experience with buying a card around the 1000-series launch, you probably won’t see the current prices go down much at all when the new cards are revealed or on the market, but it might get easier to buy a current-gen card secondhand due to people trying to sell theirs to get a new one, if you’re willing to buy used… but with the crypto explosion having died out, that might not be a safe idea if you get some bitcoin miner’s overtaxed card they don’t want anymore.

Getting one of the brand new models near the top end will probably be difficult at first, because they never have enough stock to meet that early demand, but it’ll likely cost about as much as the same tier of current-gen cards as long as it’s not marked up by a scalper (though prices have been steadily rising with each new generation). Though keep in mind that for the 1000-series, Nvidia intentionally priced Founder’s Edition cards well above MSRP to give the manufacturers room to price lower with their own offerings, but non-Founders cards were delayed by a couple months. It was an early adopter’s fee, essentially.

I also fully expect Nvidia to release the cards very shortly after the initial announcement; it’s been a matter of days or weeks between the official announcement and on-the-market the past couple times around.

• brucethemoose says:

Nah, prices won’t tank when this new card releases. Nvidia tends to launch new cards at really high prices now.

One thing you can do is keep your eyes peeled for a used or refurb 980 TI. It’s basically a 1070.

• gunny1993 says:

If current mining trends continue then prices won’t drop after launch and new cards will skyrocket.

If we look at the previous series the cheapest time to buy was pretty much at launch link to uk.pcpartpicker.com

If this trend is maintained then beat bet is to either pre order a founder edition or oem card or possibly try to pick up second hand. But there’s inherent risk and no guarantee of a better price currently.

Welcome to mining town

• Ryuthrowsstuff says:

The current mining trend is already tapering off and GPU prices have been heading downward. Baring another sudden run up in crypto prices, on GPU mine-able coins. We’re not going to see card head back up in price.

Beyond that nVidia has competition now. So they’re less likely to stick with previous pricing strategies.

• Ryuthrowsstuff says:

It’d be worth waiting a bit. Prices are still inflated. They’re lower than they were. And there’s a lot of talk of them finally being “reasonable”. But most of the time I’m still seeing pricing above MSRP, and nothing going below. Its just that pricing is now less insane.

So whether its prices normalizing further, or grabbing the latest and greatest while you can. Figure a couple of months couldn’t hurt.

• fish99 says:

You’d think prices for existing cards would plummet when the new ones arrive, but in reality it doesn’t happen because a) stocks dwindle at the same time, b) the prices of the new cards are often significantly higher than the last generation, and c) because retailers are stubborn. You will be able to find a bunch of people selling used 1070/1070 TI/1080 cards though, and maybe pick up a bargain with some decent warranty left.

• punkass says:

Thanks, everyone. Even with the latest, “Not for a long time.” news I think I’ll hang on and see how it looks in August.

I don’t think I’ll buy second hand in case I get an ex-mining rig that’s close to death.

I reckon an 1160 should be cheaper and probably slightly better than a 1070ti and an extra month of playing older games won’t hurt in the long run.

Comment on this story