Video: Watch dino fights and raptor escapes in Jurassic World Evolution

jurassic world evolution preview

Remember the bit in Jurassic Park where John Hammond airlifts a live Ceratosaurus into the food court? No? That’s because it didn’t happen, which was a huge failing of imagination on Spielberg’s part. Hammond was all about show business, after all, and business doesn’t come showier than a dinosaur eating tourists as they exit a burger joint. Obviously, the makers of Jurassic World Evolution don’t encourage you to feed guests to the ‘talent’ – it makes for a doozy of a TripAdvisor write up – but that it’s done with just three mouse clicks suggests they know exactly what they are making.

Dino attacks are one of the many highlights from my first three hours with the game. The others are handily collected in the video below…

Think of the video above as Hammond’s introductory tour in Jurassic Park. Except where he kept boasting about no expense being spared, I’m quite up front about my park being built on a budget. I got to play from the first island, where all your wallet will stretch to is a couple of lame herbivores and some tarmac.

When I finally earned the cash to buy a carnivore it promptly ate all my other attractions, which put us in the red. The true horror of managing a dino park is not when raptors eat visitors, but having to wait for people to buy enough t-shirts to pay for an Edmontosaurus. Ever seen an Edmontosaurus? A T-Rex it ain’t.

Maybe this is what separates Jurassic World Evolution from other management games. The attractions you’re working towards aren’t just spicier versions of what you play with in the early game; they’re some of the most iconic movie monsters of all time. (Yes, I know dinosaurs existed pre-Hollywood, but these are very much the Spielberg versions, right down to animations and sound effects borrowed from the films.) There’s a genuine frisson of excitement when you invite a velociraptor into your park; could you really say the same about finally building a solar farm in SimCity?

Whether the raptors will hold their appeal when I’ve filled five whole islands full of the things is yet to be seen. But with the game arriving on Steam on June 12, there’s not long to wait to find out.

Why not kill the time by 1) subscribing to the RPS YouTube channel, and 2) reading Alec’s fabulous Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis retrospective for further Hammond-y thoughts.

1. Someoldguy says:

It sounds like there may be more management in this sim than there is in Planet Coaster. I do hope that proves to be true.

• pentraksil says:

How did you get that? Not trying to start anything, just curious. Planet Coaster got a bit more “managee” with patches and additions, but Evolution IMO looks really bland so far. Barren, with not many features, building or park management options. Looks more like a XBOX arcade title than a 55 dollar game. I wish I am wrong, I just have a bad feeling about this game….

• Someoldguy says:

By going hunting for other articles once prompted by this one. Like I said, it’s only a first impression. I won’t be opening my wallet until I’m sure.

2. April March says:

That dinosaur in the beginning of the video has one hell of a sense of drama.

3. Not Marvelous says:

I get that dinosaur fights should happen, but to engineer them yourself and have the game reward you for it? Honestly, that’s pretty disgusting.

Although, since this is based on the equally disgusting JW movie, a nontrivial amount of cheap nihilism was to be expected. Of course visitors would be oh so bored by your regular, run-of-the-mill dinosaurs, they want hybrids with more teeth and to see them fight to the death!

At least put some sort of animal rights group in-game which would try to sabotage your dino-fighting ‘park’ and rescue the poor creatures from such a hellhole. Or something.

• Someoldguy says:

ALF activists freeing dinosaurs? That’ll probably go about as well for the native fauna as the release of animals like mink into habitats totally unprepared or unused to their presence.

• Not Marvelous says:

Of course it would be bad for everyone involved. That could even be kind of the point, since this is still Jurassic Park and all.

On the other hand, management-sanctioned dino fights just seem so contrary to the spirit of the (original JP) story. Contrary, even, to what people would expect or want from an actual dinosaur park.

I guess JW and its assumptions have simply been accepted by the wider culture. To me that is utterly baffling, but hey, it happens.

• ColonelFlanders says:

Wait wat.

• goodspeed says:

Ohh. I see so many of your kind on the internet but I still refuse to believe you feeble, broken, and essentially defective humans actually exist in real life. You’re crying over fake dinosaurs fighting, from a fictional movie franchise in a fictional video game. Your parents raised a living breathing embarrassment. Good job.

I just wanted you to know that I legitimately went out of my way to create an account on this website to tell you something important.

So by all means, drive to your nearest expansion bridge, park your car, do yourself and everybody affiliated with you a favor, and jump off the bridge. Have a good one.

• Not Marvelous says:

Well that was extreme.

Anyway, since my casual hyperbole seemed to make you think I was some sort of fake-animal rights activist, a clarification: my issue was with the thematic approach of this game and the movie before it. And I suggested a gameplay element that could make the whole thing more palatable / realistic / appropriate. You too have a good one!

• AlienEyes says:

I find it funny how everything you wrote about Not Marvelous applies to you.

You’re saying that someone who posted about fake dinosaur fights in a video game and thinks we should have the possibility to have “dinosaur activists” should jump of a bridge.

Do you realize that in order to remain consistent you should kill yourself?

• Rindan says:

I haven’t look hard enough to figure out if you actually “get something” for it, but let’s say you do. Let’s say it turns on some park go’ers and it turns off others.

So what? That sounds like a cool piece of thoughtful management game.

Have you played any of the Tropico games? Part of the fun is that you can make your island a hell run by an iron fisted dictator propped up by the church, the military, and a cult of personality; or you can make a democratic island that attracts scientist and engineers to build an ever growing middle class that eliminates poverty. The contrast is part of the fun. Tropico would be worse game if you were only allowed to make a nice island.

If they let me run anything from Disney Land levels of safety and friendliness Jurassic Park, to a drug den with cage matches between dinosaurs broadcasted over the dark web, fucking sweet. You shouldn’t be so afraid of fantasy. I’m glad dinos can eat dinos. If they make intentional fights between dinosaurs have interesting rewards and consequences, awesome.

I’m sorry you hate fun so much.

4. Justoffscreen says:

Question regarding the Dinosaur splicing and different varieties- does that actually equate to a physical difference or just stats? Different color palettes, perhaps?

5. charmed23 says:

As a person who campaigns for renewable energy and loves dinosaurs, yes, I am actually equally freaking excited for BOTH inviting a velociraptor into my park AND finally building a solar farm in SimCity, aha!

6. TeePee says:

My main worry around this is that it kind of feels like it’s trying so hard to appeal to everyone with all the bells and whistles like driving and shooting from helicopters, that it’s going to fall into a bit of a middle ground where it doesn’t really scratch any particular itch properly. The hardcore fans of the build-em-up are going to miss the depth of say, a Cities Skylines or Planet Coaster, whereas the casual crowd will likely be put off by the amount of effort required before you can hire a T-Rex to perform crowd management duties and then dive-bomb it with helicopters.

I hope I’m just needlessly worrying, and that it’ll be fine, as the folks making it have clearly worked hard to deliver the JP game everyone wants, I just worry that they might spread themselves too thin in trying to appeal to the console audience.

• Luminomancer says:

both the jurrasic park genesis game and the old zoo tycoon games had the helicopter and car controls, so I dont think that will be a problem, just a fun addition to the game

• AlienEyes says:

The problem is that when I hear players/fans talking about Genesis what they seem to like the most was freeing the dinos. They never talk about the management aspect of the game, and how you could make different choices or discover rare dinosaurs.

7. AlienEyes says:

I won’t buy the game at launch and certainly not preorder it.

People seem to wish for very different things from such a game. Personally I want a management game with many different species with all their own needs and behaviour, and I like the idea of managing shops too. I’m annoyed by all these “hybrids” stuff, or dinos fighting each other. I’m not sold by the idea of traznquilizing the dinos myself – I want to play as a manager, not some kind of lame TPS.

And there’s no way to know if that’s the game for me. Is the management part enjoyable on its own? Or do I need to enjoy “dinosaur attacks” to appreciate this game?

• Matthew Castle says:

I’ll admit the video focuses on the ‘flashier’ elements of the game, but it’s smarter than dino fights and weird genetic modifications. I only had three hours, which isn’t long to dig into the meat of the management, but from talking to the Frontier bods there’s a lot more going on as the game opens up.

The real challenge comes from making the most of the space that you have – the islands (the first two, at least) are quite tight, so you soon have to start compromising on dino desire versus getting the punters in. Working out optimal pen design, and which creatures can be coaxed into living together, looks to have real depth. For most of this video we’re dealing with two types of herbivore with similar needs and a one carnivore who can be shifted into his own home. Start introducing anything else – of some 40 or so breeds (I think) and you have to get a lot smarter with the space.

Short version: dino fights and escapes look good in a video, wait for the review to find out how deep it all goes.

8. Itsabomb says:

As much as the Jurassic Park fan in me would love to see this game succeed, my initial impression is that it’s going to bomb. The dinosaur models are fantastic, yet beyond that, there doesn’t seem to be much going on in this game. Build dinosaurs, put them in a pen, and when you get bored, release them just to pop them with a sleeping dart. That’s not a solid concept.

Even the idea of evolving your dinosaurs seems to be statistical and unrelated to any physical change in appearance, if the brief footage of evolving the dinosaur is any indication.

I’ll wait for reviews to spring up and find out what the general consensus is. I don’t believe my intuition will fail me.

9. CartonofMilk says:

alright, ill admit that when FD first announced this game i was very underwhelmed and as a frustrated ex E:D player who would liek to be given a good reason to go back, I thought well thats just great but you should be focusing all effort on making E:D better instead of developing new games nobody cares about…well.. now that i’ve seen what they’re doing with this game i’m thinking i may have been hasty. It looks like it’s a lot beyond a cookie cutter park management game and could be a lot of fun.

Comment on this story