Code Vein opens up in September

Bandai Namco today announced they plan to launch their anime-ish, Souls-tinged action-RPG Code Vein on September 28th. What makes Code Vein a Soulsbut? Well, it’s got swords for starters. Can’t get more Dark Souls than swords. It got ruins, classic Dark Souls element right there. Oh! You can use the swords to hit monsters–did I mention monsters?–which is maybe the most Dark Souls thing of all. [Alright, that’s enough taking the piss. Snip! -ed.] Whew! Apologies for rambling there–872 words, really Alice?–but yes, the post-apocalyptic, vampiric Soulsbut is coming in September. Here, watch a new trailer.

Oh right, also it’s anime as heck. Ha ha goodness me.

To be clear, this is being made by Bandai Namco’s own studios, not Souls creators From Software. I mean, obviously it’s not From Software. That said, every time I’ve heard about someone’s experiences playing preview versions, they compare it to Dark Souls. Which, yeah, obviously they’re borrowing a fair bit, but to my eyes it’s missing a lot of what made Dark Souls distinctly Dark Souls rather than any other action-RPG.

It’s not just press drawing these comparisons, mind – Code Vein director Hiroshi Yoshimura talked about its Dark Souls inspirations with our corporate siblings VG247 last year. He was also the director of God Eater, so there’s something to round out what you imagine the game to be.

Anyway. September 28th.

1. ran93r says:

That trailer seemed like every cringe worthy piece of dialogue all mashed up in one place, do not want.

2. bacon seeker says:

Ehh… I don’t mind a bit of anime, but this looks way too anime. And the combat animations seem too fast, which I guess is appropriate for vampires? We’ll see how it turns out.

3. DatonKallandor says:

This is from the God Eater studio I believe and it looks like it. God Eater had absolutely dreadful combat, horrible presentation and pretty bad full-on anime cliché writing.

Frankly it looks like nothing has changed in Code Vein.

4. Darth Gangrel says:

“Apologies for rambling there–872 words, really Alice?” No, only 68 words or 331 characters (checked it in Word), so I don’t know where you got the number 872 from. *irony/sarcasm detector activated* Oh, perhaps you exaggerated for comical effect?

Either way, we now only have less than 4 months until we can play yet another vampire game. Perhaps it will be better received than Vampyr, perhaps it will fail in other ways. It certainly doesn’t seem like it will fail by trying to be another VtM:Bloodlines, like Vampyr is accused of by some.

5. eLBlaise says:

If there is this much exposition in the trailer how much will the actual game include? With that said I don’t think I’ve ever been interested in a Bamco title that wasn’t developed by From Software so this probably isn’t something that I should concern myself with.

6. smonkone says:

I, for one, feel cheated out of 800+ words of quality Souls-related piss-taking and demand a writer’s cut of this story.

7. Hoot says:

You know what? I think I’m gonna embrace the cringe on this title and just enjoy it for what it is, or appears to be, at least. A hammy, OTT, anime-cliche cringe-fest with hopefully awesome combat and some well worn (and hopefully well executed) tropes.

Seriously. If the combat is spot on, and the other systems are spot on then I can forgive a large amount of cringe as long as it isn’t tepid garbage. I have less of a problem with OTT than say the juvenile wet fish that was ME:A.

Also I like the anime stylings of it.

Comment on this story