Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor – Martyr stomps angrily out of early access

Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor - Martyr

In the grim future of the 2010s, there are only Warhammer games. One every other week, it seems, thanks to Games Workshop’s new licensing structure being an all-you-can-eat IP buffet. Not that I’m complaining – while there’s been some forgettable games, there’s no shortage of solid fun in there too. If nothing else, NeocoreGames’ Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor -Martyr looks the part. This grimdark action-RPG has been skulking around in early access for a while, but today it launches its assault on wallets and enemies of the Empire of Man alike.

While I’ve not had a chance to play the game myself (something I shall be rectifying soon), Inquisitor definitely has the look of a proper Warhammer game, leaning heavily into the overblown black-metal sci-fi aesthetics that tend to adorn 40k book covers and art pages in tabletop rulebooks. Everything is grungy and greebled to the n’th degree, and a lot of things are Very Large in in addition to being Very Angry. At least you get to drive around tanks and mechs to even things up a bit, as you can see in the gameplay trailer below.

The game boasts an interesting feature-set, with a focus less on storytelling and more on wandering a procedurally generated universe, taking on enemies in random missions. It gives the immediate impression of a game designed for short play sessions, rather than the usual loot-hoarding hours of play that you’d sink into the likes of Diablo or Path of Exile. Whether it pulls it off is another thing entirely, but it’s nice to see a slightly different structure.

I must admit that I’m rather inquisitive about this one myself, and will be holding it over hot coals and demanding it confess its sins tonight. While I’ve heard mixed things about the game while it was in early access, I did quite enjoy Neocore’s previous Van Helsing action-RPG series, especially once they polished them up and combined them all into a single game. Neocore are also known for their wobbly launches and solid post-release support, so while I’m fully expecting at least some degree of jankiness here, it should eventually get the worst of the kinks smoothed out.

Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr is out now on Steam and Humble for £34/$50, minus a 10% launch discount.

1. Darth Gangrel says:

The number of non-strategy, non-MP Warhammer games do seem like they can counted on hand, but perhaps I’m mistaken. This one and Space Marine are the only Warhammer games that I feel interested to play.

• Railway Rifle says:

You’re going to love it when I get a licence to make WH40K: Blood-dew Valley then.

• Evan_ says:

Don’t get confused by “non-MP” like I was. These days it apparently means that it can be played alone too.

The game definitely has co-op.

• gabrielonuris says:

I sincerely don’t understand how some developers are able to look at this franchise and come up with… a chess game, or a table top “video” game that completely mimics the original material.

I’m not a developer, but come on, this is maybe the only franchise with potential to accommodate any video gaming genre. For instance, just imagine a space sim in this universe; or a first person shooter? A Mass Effect-like RPG?

For me, the best WH40k games are Space Marine, Battlefleet Gothic, Spacehulk Deathwing and Dawn of War series (and probably this one).

• Throwback says:

Space Marine isn’t just the best 40k game, it’s one of the best games I’ve ever played – and I *hate* FPS & arena shooters.

The more recent 40k over-the-shoulder shooter was also very good, but ran out of funding and doesn’t have Australian servers :(

DoW series is also excellent.

2. Cyrus says:

At last!
    Will be interesting to see the reviews, is hard to lean towards any direction really.

Bought the helsing collection previously, but alas lies there unplayed for future considerations.

3. racccoon says:

TOTALLY, FRIGGIN’ AWESOME!

4. trjp says:

The original Van Helsing was rough but they polished-it quite well and it’s one of my fave ARPGs

The sequels were NOT good tho – they wandered-off in weird directions and made games I could not get into no matter how hard I tried (the 2nd one has THE most confusing and annoying first level of any game ever made!?)

Warhammer tho – hmmm – Warhammer…

5. Dominic Tarason says:

Well, I just found out the reason why the review score plummeted just as the game launched – there’s an online component to the game. If the connection to the servers fails, you get bumped back to the main menu even if you were 99% through a mission.

There are day one server issues, so people are angry.

• haldolium says:

Seems a lot like the game is inherently flawed as well.

• barelyhomosapien says:

I like ARPG’s.

I like WH40k (listening to the audiobooks at work is one of my top guilty pleasures)

I am struggling to like inquisitor.

There are times when Inquisitor feels really good. When you’re mowing through enemies, viscera flying, character damning your foes in the name of the emperor. But…

Boss and mini-boss enemies are often far to bullet spongey. When you’re just standing there holding LMB over some random dude for a minute waiting for him to die something is wrong. The cover system is a good idea in theory but is still very very janky. What is and isn’t cover often makes no sense, what you can and can’t hit from cover often makes no sense. The camera should have been fixed in place and designed around that. Rotating it while trying to control your character can be a nightmare.

It looks great, other then jaggies, but doesn’t run smoothly, there’s only 1 Anti-Aliasing option and it’s a bit rubbish (temporal)

The game feels like it needed someone from outside to go “This works, this doesn’t work but could with more focus, and this needs to be cut because it’ll take too much resources to work or never will”

6. Gobser says:

I like how there is text quest box (warzone?) filled with lorem ipsum in the release trailer

7. HiroTheProtagonist says:

On the one hand, the trailer seems a bit lackluster in that it just lists features had by just about every ARPG since Diablo. I did have a good laugh when they mentioned a “morality system”, as if WH40K really needed a gauge for whether or not your inquisitions were good or evil (hint: it’s always for the good of the Imperium). Hopefully maybe they’ll make an expansion pack where you can play as an Ork.

• Imperialist says:

I mean, there are 3 things this game draws inspiration from: The Dark Heresy pen and paper RPG. The Inquisitor TT game from 2000. The Eisenhorn and Ravenor books. All of these things deal with a moral divide between Puritan and Radical Inquisitors. Its not so much “good, or bad” as it is “strict adherence to the Imperial Creed and the notion of purity through unwavering conviction” vs “I will use any tool necessary, including the tools of the alien, and the heretic to achieve my goals.” It makes sense in the context of the game considering it.

Also, you can forget any other playable races. This is about Inquisitors, not Space Marines, Orks, Eldar. Etc.

8. KingFunk says:

It might just be me (and I haven’t watched the trailer or read much beyond this article) but since it includes ‘Inquisitor’ in the title, I’d kind have expected something like a detective RPG where you play the role of an Inquisitor rooting out heresy, rather than an ARPG…

• HiroTheProtagonist says:

There was an RPG called Inquisitor a few years ago, which was exactly that, minus the Warhammer trappings. Decent game, though the combat was a bit wonky.

• Imperialist says:

While the core conceit of the game is…in fact, blowing up aliens and heretics…there are “investigation” missions that are kinda like quest chains. You gather clues through data terminals and corpses, make some light choices between actions that determine your approach to the next mission in the chain, etc. I mean, the idea is there. Just dont expect anything cerebral…its definitely currently just a backdrop for you landing on a planet to turn heretics to piles of gore.

9. gabrielonuris says:

Wow, this game’s systems really looks complex. I see we’re already far away from the simple skill trees from Diablo 2.

I’m not complaining, just to be clear, actually I find it pretty awesome we parted ways from that cringey dumbed down progression system from Diablo 3.

10. KidWithKnife says:

“The game boasts an interesting feature-set, with a focus less on storytelling and more on wandering a procedurally generated universe, taking on enemies in random missions.”

That is all more or less incorrect. The game has a story-focused single player campaign, and as far as I know does not use procedurally generated content at all at this time. I’m not sure where you got this information.

11. Chiron says:

Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts Killing Beasts

Eh, wake me when there is an actual story based 40k game, the world has so much potential for investigation and intrigue beyond the usual run of mindless violence.

Comment on this story