Cute pulp sci-fi defensive shooter Fortified is free today

Fortified

How about a little something to unwind for the evening with? A charming looking free game tickle your fancy? Fortified has apparently been around on Steam early 2016, but it managed to fly entirely under my radar. A crying shame, because it looks like Orcs Must Die spliced with Mars Attacks. Developer Clapfoot (working on the currently-in-early-access Foxhole) have opted to just give it away for free today. If you nab it on Steam between now and 11am Pacific Time on June 8th, you get to keep it forever.

I’ve not had a chance to try Fortified yet, but I’ve currently got it downloading to give it a spin once they unshackle me from my news-desk. Judging by the trailer below, it is very much in the vein of Orcs Must Die, but with wobbly martian robots and UFOs instead of oddly lovable orcs being exploded into clouds of meat. Probably for the best, really. It supports four player online co-op too, so get your friends to snag this too while it’s free.

If you’ve never played Orcs Must Die? Well, you should probably try that too (there’s a pretty good free-to-play spinoff now), but what you’re getting here is a basic third-person shooter paired with tower defence mechanics. Enemies travel along a set route (which you can manipulate with barriers to some degree) from A to B, on a collision course with your chosen defensive objective. Zap them all, spend your profits on more defences, rinse and repeat. It’s simple, compelling fun.

Looking at the Steam reviews for the game, a common complaint was that there was nobody to play it online with at launch. A problem that appears to have been rectified, according to Steamcharts, although I’d wager that the majority of those 130,000 ‘players’ are bots mining the game for trading cards that will be resold for a penny profit a piece. Do your part for humankind and fight the robot horde – the card mining one – and give the game a spin. It’s free.

1. poliovaccine says:

I’m such a sucker for this aesthetic that even my loner ass will try out a multiplayer game for its sake. Well, for free anyway haha.

Seriously, I don’t know why we don’t have more games featuring the campy, fun kind of UFOs… excuse me, “flying saucers.”

• Hedgeclipper says:

It worked fine solo – I got it a while back, I think the aesthetic was nice but for game play about the best I can offer is ‘competent’. Still, free is a pretty good price.

• oyog says:

Makes me want to go back and play the Destroy all Humans games.

It also reminds me just how badly I want Stubbs the Zombie to show up on GOG or get a remaster or anything.

• Imaginary Llamas says:

Ah I had many hours of fun with Destroy All Humans. I recently tried to replay it through a PS2 emulator, but the performance wasn’t great and there were several graphical glitches.

2. brucethemoose says:

Why hasn’t this showed up in my discovery queue?

3. gabrielonuris says:

And this is exactly why I hate the state of Steam nowadays: all of those shovelwares bloating the catalogue, while hiding games like this, that maybe deserved more attention.

Noone here seems to have ever heard about it, and unfortunately it flew totally under my radar too.

4. FunnyB says:

I remember reading about Fortified a couple of years ago and being a bit interested about the tower-defense/shooter combo.

Fast-forward a bit, and everyone is talking about Fortnite, a shooter where you build stuff. And I was surprised, what happened to the tower-defense mechanic? Was this not a singleplayer game?

Now I know… They are different games, with similar esthetics, both contain “building” and have almost identical names. No wonder I was confused.

Gnarl says:

I’d feel remiss not mention that the free Orc Must Die gives a terrible impression of the proper games, as you only move at about half the speed. Which makes the game feel much slower paced, and less full of frantic fun. At least for me.

• aircool says:

Agreed. Orcs Must Die 2 is a brilliant game with lashings of humour. If the developers had simply stuck to the formula and made Orcs Must Die 3, it would have sold really well.

6. eLBlaise says:

Why does Steam not only insist upon forcing an immediate download of free games but also making them disappear from my library once uninstalled? My GOG free games are nice and visible in my library patiently waiting their turns in the rotation but not Valve. It’s like their committed to doing things in the least sensible way possible.

• Evan_ says:

I do have to click on ‘install’ to claim these free titles, but the similarities end there. The games appear in my library without actually installing, and those that supposed to stay remain there forever. Sure you aren’t talking about a game that was only free for a limited time, like a weekend?

Comment on this story