R6 Siege invades Villa in Operation Para Bellum today

r6-siege-villa

Summer’s almost here, so Rainbow Six Siege is kicking in the door of a nice Italian villa ostensibly to stop terrorists or something but more likely to claim a place in the sun. Operation Para Bellum launches today, the latest free content update, with the new map, new operators (well, not for everyone just yet), bug fixes, tweaks, and balance changes. The reviled ‘dropshot’, which let players drop to prone without upsetting their aim, diving to the floor and murderising the poor opponent who’s left shooting at air above them, is banished for starters.

The new map sends the Rainbownauts into the grand villa of an Italian crime family, scampering through gardens, cellars, grand rooms, and secret spaces. It’s a pretty one:

Para Bellum also overhauls an older map, Clubhouse, improving how it plays by adding and altering paths and areas. They’ve prettied it up a touch too.

Back to Italy, the update adds two new Italian characters, both Defenders. Alibi can throw decoy hologram projections of herself, and is armed with a new submachine gun or new autoshotty. Maestro can deploy a remote-controlled laser turret, and he’s armed with a new LMG or that same autoshotty. They’re instantly unlocked today for folks who own the season pass, while regular players will need to wait seven days to unlock them by paying Renown or R6 Credits.

Also new: the option for a MOBA-style ‘Pick and Ban’ so teams must carefully construct their lineup as their opponents try to foil them by banning characters.

Sadly, Ubisoft have chickened out of letting players throw grenades back.

“This feature did not perform as we had intended, and was prone to collateral damage as a result,” Ubisoft explain. “As such, we looked at the data and saw an unnaturally high occurrence of team kills and suicides that resulted from throwing grenades back.”

I understand, but I do still find it hilarious when attempted heroics go badly wrong.

Para Bellum rolls out today. Siege’s servers will go down for maintenance at 2pm today, then should be back up with the update after about an hour.

For the full story on Para Bellum, look at the update’s page for the bulk of the patch notes and today’s addendum for the finishing touches.

Oh, and reader, I must apologise. When I said no one knows what “Si vis pacem, para bellum” means, I wasn’t entirely correct. I’d missed a fascinating chain of discoveries that meant while we may never know its full meaning, let alone its language, a partial translation survived in a forgotten monk’s chronicle, as reader “Monggerel” explained. Thanks for that! And, again, I’m so sorry to have misinformed you all.

1. Twinver says:

Great article but just to let you know, the dropshoting fix was removed from this patch and will be implemented at a later date.

2. Maxheadroom says:

Not complaining, I know the competitive scene is why its so popular, but i do wish they’d do something more with Terrorist Hunt.

I’m old and dont have the reflexes to compete with kids who will snipe me through a 2 inch murder hole in a wall 3 rooms away before I’ve even figured out which map it is

But I did enjoy the occasional blast on Terrorist Hunt either solo or with my equally reflex impaired friends

• AskForBarry says:

My reaction is pretty terrible too, but still I manage silver/gold in ranked.
      In this game tactics is just as important than reaction. You can’t win games with agression only.

3. fubar says:

I believe the explanation given by Monggerel is incorrect. The words are very plainly Latin in origin, and regardless of whether they are ‘Romanic’ or not, they will still carry the same or very similar meaning to “If you want peace, prepare for war”. This is because Romanice means “in roman” as in the Roman vernacular, or vulgar Latin, of which there are plenty examples that show us the close similarities of Latin and Vulgar Latin.
    To anyone who knows a romantic language, it is fairly easy to understand the sentence, as it is still somewhat similar to many modern languages, apart from the word “bellum”, of which I am not aware of similar translations. “Se vuoi la pace, prepara la guerra” is the italian translation, and is still very close. Or the French “Si on veut la paix, prĂ©pare la guerre”
    I have also found no information to corroborate their story, not even places that mention that it does not mean what it is said to mean.
    Oh, and Taoiseach in Irish is not a name, it means “leader” or “chieftain”, and is the title currently given to the leader of Ireland.

4. zachdidit says:

Slight correction. The ability to throw back grenades has been in the game since launch. It was a little known / rarely used feature and resulted in mostly teamkills and suicides so they decided to axe it.

5. Robbingbob27 says:

If I may add, I study Latin at UC Berkeley. I immediately recognized “Si vis pacem, para bellum.” As Latin, not Romanic as suggested in the previous article. To break it down grammatically: “Si” is a conjunction meaning “if,” “vis” is the second person singular form of the Latin verb “volo” which means “I want,” “pacem” is in the accusative case (i.e. direct object of the verb) stemming from the word “pax” meaning peace, “para” is a perpostion that takes on a direct object meaning “prepare (for)”, and lastly “bellum” is in the accusative case as well meaning war. It makes sense to me that they would use Latin as the setting is a Roman Villa afterall, in Italy nonetheless!

6. xXCarnvoyantXx says:

If you want peace, prepare for war!

Comment on this story