King of Dragon Pass sequel Six Ages raids PC in 2019

Six Ages: Ride Like The Wind

Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind is another of those games I’ve been excited for since the moment it was announced. Long-awaited successor to ’90s cult favourite King of Dragon Pass, it’s a blend of tribal management and roleplaying presented primarily as as Choose Your Own Adventure. Today, Six Ages gets its first non-teaser trailer, along with a release window announcement – we’ll be raiding clans and taking cows again in 2019, although iOS folks will have the game in just a few weeks.

While King of Dragon Pass had you leading the viking-esque Orlanthi people, Six Ages looks to put you in the lead saddle of a more horse-centric, seemingly Mongol-inspired culture within the shared tabletop RPG setting of Glorantha. I’m equal parts excited and dreading having to learn a whole new set of cultural mores and mystical traditions to uphold, as early runs in the original King of Dragon Pass often came to a messy end as you waded into dangers that no true Orlanthi would dream of venturing near.

From the looks of the trailer, very little has changed to the formula of the game. While occasionally you’ve got to balance your books in a stat-heavy screen or two, the majority of your time playing will be spent consulting your panel of advisers, and making policy decisions in dramatic vignettes accompanied by lush hand-drawn art. The numerical results of your decisions are intentionally obscured, which sounds frustrating but is just part of the charm. After all, you’re a medieval chieftain, not an accountant, and nobody can know all things.

While the Windows and Mac version of the game won’t be released until 2019, the iOS version (guess who ordered a new Android phone just hours ago…) will be out on June 28th, so I’ll just be here, fuming with jealousy at iThing owners for the next few months. You can find more info on Six Ages’ official site here.

1. Kolbex says:

Oh, my gosh, I’m so excited. I’ve been waiting for this one for (six) ages. Only a Glorantha game could have “cows” as a bullet point! I guess we’re playing as Hyalorings? Will be cool to be able to play as a non-Orlanthi for a change!

2. Someoldguy says:

More than six months extra to issue a PC version? Sigh. I suppose that’s the downside of it being made by a really small company. On the plus side, we should get the version with (almost) all the bugs ironed out.

3. Vedharta says:

So is this still set in Glorantha?

• radiofreelunch says:

Yes, that’s one of the reasons it’s the successor to KoDP.

• TimePointFive says:

I’m so happy you’re able to continue working within this fun universe! Props! Any plans for an Android version down the line? King of Dragon Pass made my kindle immediately worth it.

4. teije says:

Sounds awesome, the world needs more intelligent games like this.

5. klops says:

Ooh! This has been on my waiting list for a very, very long time. Much before Six Ages was announced. TOo bad I can’t play it this year, but time flies nowadays anyways.

6. Scelous says:

God damn I am so excited for this. I loved King of Dragon Pass. I’m ready!

7. squirrelrampage says:

*throws money at the screen*

8. Michael Fogg says:

I liked the concept and world design in KotDP, but the actually playing the game involved mainly making guesstimates and adjusting sliders (which for me meant: leave it in the middle, all the way left or all the way right).

Comment on this story