What we want to see at E3 2018 next week

E3 2018 begins on Saturday and over the week that follows will deliver new games, new trailers, and new details of what PC games we’ll be playing in the years ahead. It is pure hype, all pomp and gloss and outlandish promises – but that’s exactly why E3 is great. It’s games as nothing but ideas and potential, before the yoke of reality gets attached by those games actually being released.

So let’s follow in kind. Without restrictions, what does the RPS team hope to see from this year’s E3? Unannounced games we hope exist, announced games we want to see more from, anything goes. You can watch the video above for some ideas, you can read the words below for some more ideas, and then if you like you can let us know your own suggestions in the comments.

fable artwork

Matthew – Fable 4

I’ve always enjoyed Fable as the RPG for the time poor. You get a large (enough) world, the lore and a bestiary to stab up, but it’s done in 20 hours or so. This way you’re also encouraged to hop back in and start playing with the signature morality system, seeing what kind of hero, and to some extent, world, you can shape by choosing to burp instead of bow at key moments. Yes, it’s screwy – eat enough ‘ethical’ celery and the people will eventually forgive you a war crime – but that’s part of its wonky, British charm.

Murmurs of a fourth entry have increased recently; odd, considering Microsoft put a bullet in Lionhead only two years ago after preventing them from making an outright sequel. Gossip says Fable is now in the hands of Playground Games, the makers of the outstanding Forza Horizon series. It’s not as horrible a combination as you might fear: they’ve got good form with open worlds, they make polished games (Fable, bless it, was always a tad janky) and Forza Horizon has lots of barns in it, which Albion does too.

But the real beauty of Forza Horizon is the way it presented the carefree, accessible face of racing, which is arguably what Fable does for the RPG. Of course, it could all be speculative nonsense, in which case, I am also excited for Forza Horizon 4, which is pretty much a shoo in. They should set it in the UK so I car tear up Homebase car park like a boy racer.

e3-wishes-elder-scrolls-cats-1

Brendan – The Elder Scrolls VI: Elsweyr

I only want one thing: cat-based Elder Scrolls. Massive cats. Desert cats. Cats with angry faces and lazy posture. Cats with wares, if you have coin. Worried cats with problems in their bakery (the elf who supplies the yeast hasn’t been seen in days). King Cat, or maybe Sultan Cat? Wizard cat who hates skooma dealers and is determined to wipe out the drugs trade in his village. Elder cats who can’t stand the sight of you, filthy Argonian, get out of here. Jungle cats. Cats from the north, with their strange ways. Cats playing with long threads, but it’s a trap, the thread goes into a cave, and there’s more cats in the cave, but bad cats. I love cats. Imagine a cat, but he’s got a bird friend, yeah? Amazing. A whole new bird species introduced to The Elder Scrolls. Delicate, finch-like creatures with no clue about anything. They need protection. From cats.

nolf2-b

Alice – Immersive sims

I don’t have a particular game in mind, but I would like reassurance that big-budget immersive sims are still being made. With Deus Ex on holiday, and people muttering (though not fully-informed) concerns about Dishonored 2 and Prey, there’s anxiety in the air around whether we’ll be opening locked doors and chests with the code 451 again any time soon. I have inhaled that anxiety and now it’s mine too. I suppose Hitman 2 will be on the scale, as our Alec would tell you, and who knows if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 will either be on show or amount to anything, and now that I think of it there is that Prey expansion or summat that Arkane have been teasing forever, and oh I forgot about System Shock 3 maybe we’ll see something/anything of that.

With my fears abating (though not passing), I’m changing my answer to: No One Lives Forever 3. Might as well shoot for the Moon.

Authentic Cyberpunk2077 screenshot

Matt – Cyberpunk 2077

I want the Witcher 3 in space. Will Cyberpunk 2077, CD Projekt Red’s sci-fi RPG that we’ve heard barely a beep from since 2013, be the Witcher 3 in space? Will it even be shown at this year’s E3? The answer to both of these questions is ‘probably’.

I’m not expecting Geralt to show up, though the devs have established that isn’t impossible. I’m also not expecting it to actually be set in space – though I am expecting a futuristic open world that’s brimming with similarly challenging, moving and absorbing stories to the ones that I found while wandering about the Witcher 3. I generally get more excited by the territory that sci-fi explores over fantasy, and I’m looking forward to what the same writers can pull off in a genre that’s closer to my interests. Come on, CD Projekt, let’s get philosophical.

There’ve been murmerings about some kind of multiplayer element, too, and I’m the type to find that intriguing rather than offputting.

thiefheader

John – Thief: The Beholden

I find E3 such a demoralising prospect, a week of the biggest lies and stupidest nonsense in an industry made of lies and nonsense. I prefer to pretend it’s not happening, not watch any of the conferences, and only notice the trailers three weeks later. Which explains how I’m such an excellent games journalist.

So what am I hoping for? Peace and quiet. But also perhaps a lovely surprise announcement of a delicious new RPG from the likes of Larian? A string of trailers for Just Cause 4 that delude me into believing that this time they won’t ruin it by having ludicrously escalating responses by enemies spoiling all the fun? Or if I were to go to my most outest therest place of all, news that Arkane had managed to pick up the Thief license from Squeenix, releasing Thief: The Beholden in Spring 2019.

Graham – A person crying with joy

A couple of years ago, Ubisoft and Nintendo revealed Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, a turn-based tactics game starring characters from the Mario universe. During the presentation, the camera cut to its designer, Davide Soliani, tearing up in the audience as his hero Shigeru Miyamoto talked about the game. Here was a person with their heart on their sleeve, experiencing what seemed to be a moment of pure emotion in among all the marketing material that is, well, the whole point of a big event like E3. (The video above shows that moment, but if you watch it through also tells the whole story of Soliani’s career journey up to that moment.)

There are a couple of other instances of the same thing happening at E3, but even if no tears are shed, there are always a handful of moments that are similar. Moments when all the gloss and advertising gives way to something strange, something inspiring, something simply joyful. That’s what I’ll be looking for this weekend.

(And yeah some proper Cyberpunk 2077 info would be great but Matt nabbed that one first.)

Alright, you: tell us what you’re hoping to see at E3. Fallout 76? Total War: Three Kingdoms? New fruit from EA’s Star Wars license, or the first fruit from Square Enix’s Marvel license? Or just more people crying, like Graham.

1. Don Reba says:

It’s much more sophisticated!

2. Crusoe says:

I want Arkane to make a Deus Ex or Thief game before I die.

Put Harvey Smith in charge with a healthy budget and leave them alone for 4 or 5 years.

That is all.

Oh, E3. I want hosts that aren’t utterly completely clueless about the industry they’re reporting on. Also: not condescending pricks.
    In the unlikely event this happens, I might actually watch some of the coverage.

Frog says:

I think you’ll get that solid diamond pony first. Statistically more probable.

• Neonin says:

If he doesn’t call it Buttscratcher he can’t have it.

• Nelyeth says:

Buttstalion, gosh dammit. How dare you forget the name of the most beautiful and graceful princess there is?

• Neonin says:

Oops, I seem to have gotten Borderlands and Family Guy crossed in my head somehow! Apologies.

• Bimble says:

Unfortunately Buttmuncher the camel will fashion a diamond from asscoal before we see another DS-like Thief.

• napoleonic says:

Why would I want Arkane to make a Thief game, when it would mean that they would have to kill off their similar-but-superior Dishonored series so as not to compete with themselves?

• fish99 says:

Not really. I could see those games co-existing. Also they might like a break from Dishonored, or they might be done with the series (certainly felt that way at the end of Death of the Outsider).

3. Mattsetback says:

Aw, I was hoping for a Brendan-style joke post.

4. Faldrath says:

FromSoftware’s new title. That’s all.

5. Auldman says:

I want to see a trailer for Cyberpunk and I want teasers from Bethesda and BioWare for Elder Scrolls 6 and DA 4 respectively.

• aryman says:

I,ve read “I want to see a trailer for Cyberpunk and I want tears from Bethesda and BioWare for Elder Scrolls 6 and DA 4 respectively.” and it also made sense… Weird :)

6. Mouse_of_Dunwall says:

I’m with Alice, more immersive sims please. Although with Hitman 2 confirmed and a Prey expansion all-but-confirmed, that’s enough to make me happy.

I’m also looking forward to seeing the new rumored Splinter Cell game. I’d kind of like to see Ubisoft move that series in a more immersive-sim-like direction, with more open levels (NOT an open world). I really enjoyed the small stealth sandbox levels in Blacklist, they were probably the only forced-stealth sections I’ve ever liked in a game. Tense as hell on the highest difficulty.

Probably too early, but it’d be nice to see something from MachineGames or id too. Doom 2? And yeah, Elder Scrolls 6!

I like John’s idea of an Arkane Thief game too!

7. brucethemoose says:

I was hoping that “Starfield” rumor would pan out this year. Elder Scrolls/Fallout in spaaace is what I always wanted, even with the usual Bethesda Game Studios warts (the alien DLC doesn’t count).

Also, sadly, Elder Scrolls VI probably won’t have as many cats as you want, Brendan.

8. SuicideKing says:

I’ll have my eye on Microsoft – want to see if the next Halo title comes to PC, and more importantly, whether or not they release Halo 1 and 3 on the PC.

9. kud13 says:

I want:

-Arkane making a new IP
    -Bioshock the Next
    -EA showing off a single-player Star Wars game (yeah, right)
    -Rocksteady making a new game (preferably not Superman; I just don’t see the appeal in such a bland, good, nigh-invincible hero- but I’m not well-versed in comics, so I’m ready to be corrected on this)
    -From Software revealing a game that’s not Bloodborne 2 (and thus not exclusive to PS4)
    -Microsoft coming up with original IPs. Or, barring that, enabling full backwards compatibility to the Xbox catalogue through the Win10 Xbox app- allowing me to play emulated RDR on PC with M&K support
    -I would also like to get an idea of how Beyond Good and Evil 2 will actually play; and, in the same vein, get a once and for all confirmation if “Death Stranding” is gonna come to PC or not (PC Gamer continues to insist that it will)

-I would also really like to see more of the following: GreedFall, Call of Cthulhu, The Sinking City, Werewolf the Apocalypse, Plague’s tale: Innocence;

-oh, and (of course): pleeeeeease announce a proper “Legacy of Kain” sequel, Squeeenix!

10. elevown says:

I want to see something from From- hopefully something like bb2 or a soulslike – I want to see borderlands 3, serious sam, cyberpunk, and something from Bethesda besides Fo76 – hopefully something scolls related.

11. themrdistinguished says:

Age of Empires 4
    Im hopeful Relic can capture the Age of Empires magic, but also create a game that will last.
    Elder scrolls 6…but let’s be real it’s not happening.

• Gomer_Pyle says:

I too am hoping for some AoE IV stuff. Those games were my childhood, alongside the Stronghold series. I can’t wait to see where Reilc will take us.

12. arexsvn says:

Oh lord, I would happily move to a parallel universe where “No One Lives Forever 3” exists without question. Throw in “Ron Gilbert Presents : Monkey Island 3” and “Need for Speed : Blue Skies and Alpine Drives” and I would never leave this improbable universe.

Oh! And a new Jedi Knight game while you’re at it, thanks.

13. Zenicetus says:

Bah, Humbug. I can’t get very excited, because the main games I’d care about like Cyberpunk. AoW Planetfall, and TW Three Kingdoms are still way off in the distance for release dates. I’ll get excited when they’re closer. I’m not big on teasers and then waiting a year.

The only other thing I’m remotely curious about, is whether there will be any meaningful singleplayer content in Fallout 76, or if that’s just a lightweight bone tossed for the SP crowd, and the main game is aimed squarely at multiplayer content.

14. SaintAn says:

I want Final Fantasy Tactics WOTL and Tactics Ogre games on PC. Or sequels. With mod support and multiplayer!

Me and my sister want a Horizon Zero Dawn sequel announcement.

I want Paradox to announce their World of Darkness games so I can go ahead and get the disappointment out of the way.

If shithole inc are going to do a TES game I want it to be based on the Bosmer forest about a new wild hunt. They’d screw that up though because they don’t make good games anymore.

A new Fable that’s designed as a world with all the things the creator originally wanted, plus changing seasons. I just want a living world to be a part of. I don’t even care about it having a big storyline because the story is the weakest part of Fable, it’s the story the player creates for themselves that matters. I want Fable 2 to be its foundation since Fable 2 is one of the best games ever made.

Total War Warhammer 3 announcement. And it not being about End Times like I dread they’d be dumb enough to do.

Mount & Blade 2 release date. It’s going to be as outdated as the first is is they don’t release it soon.

Halo Series Complete Edition or whatever on PC.

A real MMO that’s actually good.

Mario Sunshine HD releasing in time for Summer.

And a lot more.

• Shinard says:

I think Bethesda’s output has been pretty good recently. Not as good as their old stuff, obv., but still some of the best games around. Doom, Wolfenstein, Prey, Fallout 4, Dishono(u)red 2 – yeah, none of it’s Elder Scrolls or Fallout New Vegas, but it’s still good. Still got crossed fingers for TESVI, or Fallout 76 being a single player RPG written by Obsidian, though.

• SaintAn says:

Fallout 4 was a horrible Fallout. Wolfenstein is decent at best. Dishonored is really overrated. Doom is another mindless shooter. Haven’t played “Prey”, but judging from Wolfenstein, Doom, and Dishonored it’s not worth trying.

Their target audience is now the lowest common denominator. They don’t make good games anymore.

• Mouse_of_Dunwall says:

I guess I’m the lowest common denominator. Not a big Fallout fan, but I love MachineGames’ Wolfenstein and Doom 2016. The Dishonored series and Prey are probably my 3 favorite games ever.

Give Prey a try, it’s great!

• Kitsunin says:

Why has nobody done a tactics RPG as good as WOTL or Tactics Ogre? Seriously, WTF is up with that.

15. DanMan says:

I’m looking forward to the abridged conference videos on YT and whatever Crowbcat will post.

16. haldolium says:

What a low bar of expectations. Then again, E3 is a pretty low bar in general.

Stop engaging these kind of dumb show offs. Games can and will be announced at any time. E3, Gamescome etc. are a fucking archaic constructs of the past that only profit big budget companies.
    Don’t engage them. Report on them if you must, otherwise just don’t treat them as something special which they’re simply not. No “what I want” no “best of” – its just marketing for the companies and not actual journalism. Fuck that shit.

Guess in english the term TRADE show actually fits more then ever. Be fucking creative. This is just bullshit and boring.

(yeah Im mad. And drunk. And I still can post on the internet!)

17. Plunkbat Oranges says:

I just want that Player Unknown bloke to release some of those Plunkbats I keep reading about, made from unbleached English willow and perfect for clearing the crowds around E3 demo booths.

18. Turkey says:

I’m looking forward to the third-person open-world action game with light rpg mechanics. Hopefully we’ll also get a glimpse of the first-person shooter from a long-running series of first-person shooters.

Is anybody else excited for the indie game about a thing made of light that has to avoid things made of shadows?

• DoctorDaddy says:

I’m very excited about those! I am also excited about the possibility of a game with Nolan North in it! And maybe even something written by Chris Avellone!

• Kollega says:

One thing I’m definitely looking forward to is more info on the open-world action game with guns and motor vehicles. I wish there was also a sudden new announcement for the sci-fi-themed real-time strategy game about a collection of different factions warring with eachother – but that game and its genre are, sadly enough, a kind of a lost art today.

19. spindaden says:

Half-life 3.
    Wouldn’t that be amazing?
    When everyone’s given up hope.

Valve show a video, everyone’s like “oh is there a new source engine?”
    Then
    “That guy looks familiar…”
    “Is that… nah”

The video ends, logo: Half-life 3. November 2018
    There’s a full minute of stunned silence before the room erupts.

The greatest trick gabe ever pulled…

• ColonelFlanders says:

Nah. I’ve given up on Half Life, I wouldn’t get excited for one even if they did announce it. I’ve especially lost respect for them since they turned around the other day and basically said they are going to take a zero-curation (meaning zero-fucking-work) approach to the Steam Store now. Which, as Jim Sterling pointed out, is tacit support of monstrosities like AIDS Simulator, and broken POS early access games without even an executable in them.

I’ve really come to despise Valve as a company; to me they are the epitome of a company taking all the money and doing no fucking work whatsoever. Screw them, and screw Gaben.

20. Lars Westergren says:

I hope and expect that the big secret RPG that Tim Cain and the lion part of Obsidian have been working on for years, to be published by Take 2, will finally be revealed.

21. Seafoam says:

Skyrim 2 babey!

22. S Jay says:

KOTOR 3 and Invisible, Inc 2

23. Chaoslord AJ says:

Next Elder Scrolls was pushed into the 20s or when the technology is ready. There’s talk about a new Beth space IP and I’d be hot for that.
    At least we’ll get Cyberpunk any time down the line.

24. Chorltonwheelie says:

I so want the new Metro to be good.

There was a fine game buried in the first Rage. I’d like to see the new Rage deliver on its promise.

25. fish99 says:

I wanna know what From Software are working on, and what Bethesda Game Studios next open world RPG will be (hopefully ES6). A look at Cyberpunk 2077 wouldn’t hurt too.

Comment on this story