Madden NFL 19 is coming to PC, after 11 years away

After 11 years away, EA are bringing the sport of American handegg back to PC. During their E3 pressblast today, they announced a PC release for Madden NFL 19, the first game in their annualised series to come our way since Madden 08. It’ll be released on the same day as its console counterparts too, August 10th. Here, watch the E3 trailer.

Normally at this point in a news post about the latest annual sequel in an ancient series, I’d list the scant few new features and tweaks since last year’s game. But as EA haven’t released a new Madden on PC since 2007, isn’t its existence enough?

The game’s site explains more about this year’s version, though they don’t explain why the sport is any good. They don’t even explain the lore of this ritualised combat or its origins in Charles Schulz’s Peanuts comic strips, let alone why wizards are in it – is this Force blast a crossover with EA’s Star Wars license?

Madden NFL 19 is coming via Origin, priced at £55.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

Aerothorn says:

I’d love to see an interview with EA where they explain WHY they took it off PC for 11 years. EA has never been a company to just leave money on the table, and from the outside it sure looks like that’s what they were doing. Where there licensing issues?

• sharpmath says:

I assume it comes from that era where making a PC version was considered a waste because PIRATES. I’ve missed Madden on PC for so long. I mean I’ve bought every version for console since then, but I’d much rather play on PC! I LOVE THIS

• GrumpyCatFace says:

2007 was the last time they had to compete with Sega, on the NFL license. Since the NFL gave them exclusive rights to football games, there’s been no reason to spend an extra dime on it.

This is why it’s the same….exact….game…. every…. freaking….year….

• Arglebargle says:

Printing money at almost no production cost. EA’s rolling in it….

• GhostTurtle says:

Actually 2004 was the last year they had to compete with Sega with NFL 2K5.

• GrumpyCatFace says:

Hmm… I was about to yell “Ah hah! I have a copy of 2k6 here!” But I looked again, and you’re right.

That’s also the last time that I bothered to purchase an NFL game, despite my love for the sport.

• theknyte says:

Well, technically it was 2007, as the last Football game 2K tried to make was “All-Pro Football 2K8”, in which, they licensed as many retired legends as possible to make dream teams, which they hoped would make up for lack of current NFL rosters. It didn’t work.

2. int says:

Finally a reason for me to post this on RPS:

3. MikoSquiz says:

If someone actually puts wizards in a handegg game I will buy it immediately. Until then, I’m out.

4. nitric22 says:

Wow. They just nixed my only reason for buying a ps4. Now I just have a $200 Roku.

5. Pulstar says:

Crappy American football, just give us ice hockey back!

6. SaintAn says:

Nude mods for everyone!

7. punkass says:

I realise the crossover between RPS readers and American Football is probably tiny, but this is really exciting news for me. Although £55 seems a little nonsense, but then I’m not sure I’ve ever bought a AAA game in its first year of existence. Origin does sales, right?

I just hope they set the roster before Edelman got suspended…

And if you have any familiarity with the game at all, the Breaking Madden series of articles on the interwebs is howlingly funny.

• aircool says:

I don’t know why the crossover would be small. It’s a very popular sport. I can remember watching ‘The Comeback’ between the Buffalo Bills and Houston Oilers. What a game… right down to the last second… amazing. I’ve never seen anything like it since!

• mike69 says:

Because this is a British website and to anyone outside of the US American football is immensely dull.

• aircool says:

But I’m British…

• JohnnyG says:

You’re correct. I’ve only met a few people in the UK who like American Football (and they all seemed a bit odd). Rugby is the main thing here.

phuzz says:

Pretty much everything I know about American Football comes from reading Breaking Madden. I imagine it’s even more entertaining if you have some idea of what’s going on.
          (Pretty much everything I know about baseball comes from some Japanese arcade game I had a Mame ROM of)

• joekiller says:

FYI RPS is considered one of the best PC gaming sites out there so I bet they have more US readers than UK. Also Americans love English writing because it’s funny whether it’s intended or not.

8. aircool says:

Madden has been a long time favourite, going back to those glorious 2v2 matches on the Sega Megadrive :)

Guinness was £1.05 in the Union bar; you could have a decent night out for a fiver, score with an attractive lady with pillar box red hair, then take them home and bore them to death whilst you play Madden with your friends (or Road Rash 2).

Actually, most of the girls enjoyed playing video games back then, so I’ve no idea why it’s a big deal these days…

What was I talking about?

9. jeremyalexander says:

I don’t get why Europeans are baffled about a sport being called football when it’s a sport where you can only score with your feet. You can run the ball in, kick a field goal, or get your feet down in the end zone after catching a pass. You can score in soccer by head butting a ball into the goal, so technically football makes far more sense for the American game than the world one. Just sayin…….

10. Replikant says:

Thank you, Alice. The forceblast made my day.

11. Durgendorf says:

PRESS X TO KNEEL DURING ANTHEM

12. eLBlaise says:

While I have little interest in Madden, EA or football in any of it’s forms I am interesting to see how Madden’s return will play out on PC. EA’s serialized sports franchises are all annualized roster updates masquerading as full priced video games. With the power of mods there’s a high likelihood that any of the traditional updates (including uniforms) EA reserves for the new games would be redundant before ever being released. It will be interesting to see how the company combats the reality of their $60 update being undermined by modders. I’m also curious what effect if any the PC version will have on XBox Live and Playstation Plus. Will there be a dip as the Madden crowd migrates to PC or will Origin be required effectively negating a mass exodus from the console space?

13. Lowenstaat says:

Now I’m really suspicious that Madden 08 on PC stopped working after the Windows 10 update in April. Also, I wonder if Madden’s return to PC has anything to do with some promising but rough-around-the-edges indie PC football games that are set to debut this fall.

Comment on this story