New Doom movie looks like Doom and the other Doom movie

Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 11.00.51 AM

Bulgaria is apparently the new home to Hell, as Universal Studios has just wrapped shooting there for a new Doom movie. Is it a sequel to the Doom movie that they made in 2005? Is it a redo of the game’s story? If so, which of the many Dooms is it? Is it perchance based on the series of novel in 90s where the Mormons save Earth? It almost certainly is not! But from the first few set photos, we can tell that it looks like coordinators in a space place full of blood and, like, what else are you going to have in a Doom movie? That really covers the bases, production wise.

There was no real announcement for the new film. Rather, actress Nina Bergman had a social media post which leaked the information back in April. Director Tony Giglio is helming the picture, and he’s been sharing some shots from the location as well as videos of the actors practicing stunts.

Not many details here as far as what’s being adapted, but I would like to be the first to say that Samuel Hayden and his dumb sword have no place here. There. That’s my smart opinion on movie-making. Take it or leave it, Hollywood!

Directly from the director’s tweet-place, here is our first look at what we assume is the UAC facility.

Uh. Also: guns. Remember how there were guns in the game? They’re in the movie, buddy. And I have proof:

Much more exciting to me is this shot of star Amy Manson, where she points out there’s no need for a DoomGuy when you’ve got a DoomGirl.

Who needs a #doomguy…….🖕🏻🤜🏻 #boss #doommovie #doom #tearingshitup

A post shared by Manse (@amymanson) on

Oh. This… this is pretty neat. Dr. Betruger is played by actor Dominic Mafham, who apparently is in Backdraft 2? Did you guys know they’re shooting a sequel to Backdraft? Okay, I’ll explore that on my own time.

You might remember Dr. Betruger from Doom 3. He’s the guy who did all these excellent laughs, which how you know he’s mega-evil.

Hopefully, the new film has as great dialogue on par with this back and forth between The Rock and the official Doom twitter account:

1. Neurotic says:

Hmm.

2. MikoSquiz says:

Director Tony Giglio, best known for writing Death Race sequels (I didn’t know they made Death Race sequels!) and producing & directing Soccer Dog: The Movie.

Did they want Uwe Boll but couldn’t get him, or what?

3. int says:

Well ok I’m fine with a Doomgirl but please tell me she’s gonna look like Crash with full armor on. Oh wait she’s not because she’s in regular boring tactical gear.

4. mitrovarr says:

I don’t know why movie people always want to mess with Doom. I think Doom 2016 conclusively demonstrated what people want from Doom – the Doom marine, on Mars (and/or in hell), slaughtering demons. There is no need to depart from any part of of that formula.

• Godwhacker says:

Just think of it as someone doing a “let’s play” and leaving out all the good bits

• Mouse_of_Dunwall says:

Yeah, I actually thought the story was really well-done in Doom 2016. It was amusing and well-written enough, and, most importantly, it recognized that I was here to play Doom and not watch a movie. I do not want to see Doom as a movie.

• aircool says:

Agreed. Bloody good game with well paced storytelling . Really captured the feeling of the old game, but in a nice, new shiny package.

5. DefinitelyNotHans says:

I don’t know what Doom games or movies you’ve been watching, but this looks like it’s going to be a massive shitfest so far. Like so bad it’s going to make the 2005 Doom look like Oscar material.

6. DEspresso says:

Dr.Betrayer, what an innocent and nonleading name :)

7. fiasco says:

The corridor shot reminds me of the first Resident Evil movie more than anything else.

• theirongiant says:

Yeah, could have sworn that was the lasergate entrance to the red queens chamber until I saw the corridor leading off. Asides from that it’s almost a perfect replica.

• Neurotic says:

That photo confuses my brain every time I see it. I just think ‘Milaaa!’ and then go ‘Oh.’

8. Marclev says:

With character names like Dr. Betruger, this is either going to be a (German) Saturday morning kids cartoon, or they’re actively going for worst movie of the decade.

Can we get a sequel to the 2016 Doom game instead?

9. klops says:

Wow! Cheap plastic and at least seventeen teaspoons of blood thrown on the walls.

10. Ham Solo says:

Another movie version with some tacky, idiotic plot because the one from the games is unusable because it’s so simple and pragmatic and designed for a game. And Doom without Doomguy?

At this point it’s just a cheap cash in and “Doom” in name only.
    I predict a 5/10 imdb score.

11. Chorltonwheelie says:

Great Dr. Beetroot laugh link Alice.
    My new ringtone.

12. Dust and Cobwebs says:

Am I the only one who actually enjoyed the 2005 Doom movie? Of course it was terrible! How could it not be with that source material? Seriously folks, this is a movie based on a game where the main “character” literally walks to the edge of a moon and climbs down into Hell. Which is on Mars for some reason.

The film condensed the mindless carnage of the game into an hour or two of mindless movie, shaking it up just enough to be its own thing. I wouldn’t have recommended watching it in theatres, but for an evening Terrible Movie marathon (drinking game optional)? Perfect.

I hope the new movie is more of the same.

13. apa says:

I have one of those novels! And it’s…really bad, but very much what Doom would be (is) as a book. But a Doomgirl – that might be the reason to see this one!

Comment on this story