Origin Access offers up new premium Premier tier

Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 2.16.55 PM

During today’s E3 event, Electronic Arts revealed their new premium subscription tier for Origin Access, called Origin Access Premier. It’ll let members play EA’s new games as much as they please, including Madden NFL 19, Fifa 19, Battlefield V and, of course, Anthem. A pass to play every big new EA game without buying ’em.

Update: Cleaned up some confusion about what this does. Apologies. EA were a bit vague and it was a heck of a busy Saturday evening. -ed.

The regular Origin Access program lets subscribers play a selection of older games from EA and other publishers in ‘The Vault’ as much as they please, as well as trying EA’s new games for ten hours before they launch. This new Premium tier will give unlimited playtime of EA’s new games too, from five days before they launch until you stop being a Premium member – no need to buy the latest annual sequels.

Origin Access Premier will be £14.99 per month or £89.99 per year. You can pre-register here. The basic Origin Access service costs £3.99 per month or £19.99 for a year.

There’s little doubt that EA is trying to compete with the Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass. EA also explained that they’re moving into Playstation Now’s space by working towards cloud gaming, streaming HD games even to mobile devices. That’s separate from Access Premier, mind.

The video/ad for the new service is below. It features people who love to wear EA shirts while playing EA streaming services and doing EA smiles. It all looks much more fun and much better lit than any streaming video game experience I’ve ever had and I want to feel the way these people look.

Terence Wiggins made an astute observation about Andrew Wilson’s outfit this year, correcting a mistake from previous E3 presentations.

I had my own thoughts about how elaborate the name for this service has become. (Wilson may have said “disruption” more than once in his speech. To understand how hard I was laughing you should really catch the new season of Kimmy Schmidt.)

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

Aerothorn says:

I found this news post pretty confusing. There’s a new service called Origin Access Premiere, and you say that one of the benefits is getting 10% off EA title – but Origin Access already offered that. What exactly is the difference between no subscription, Origin Access, And Origin Access Premiere?

• Nelyeth says:

“The service allows for on-demand engagement with over one-hundred games from EA and other publishers. Starting this summer, players can join the program to get PC releases before anyone else”

This, I guess.

Aerothorn says:

But Origin Access already offers both of those things as well.

• LewdPenguin says:

Losing the 10 hour time limit on early access play seems to be the only difference in the article, and some vague assumptions/hopes that EA Access:Whaling Edition will also add other stuff sometime later.

Even if you could get some value from the removed time restriction by blitzing through games in those few early access days and avoiding buying them later, it’s not like they have a super high release cadence of anything you’ll want to play every week, and hell a large chunk of their games are sports titles most people are going to play for far longer than <5 days. Overall it does seem like pretty much zero return on a lot of money.

• Shinard says:

What sets about this higher subscription tier apart from the regular Origin Access program? Members will get access to the games before their official release, sometimes as much as five days ahead of time. The basic plan allows Origin service members try out new games before release currently, but there’s a limited time window and then they must purchase the title. Basic users also don’t have access to the free back-catalogue of games, nor presumably the new HD streaming feature when it rolls out? Or at least we should assume that higher tier members will have access to the streaming before everyone else, probably, maybe.

Doesn’t seem like anyone knows for sure, yet.

• JTDenton says:

Premier gives you full access to brand new games, while the basic subscription only gives you a ten-hour trial. You don’t just get them for the early-access period; you can keep playing the game for as long as you have your premier membership.

Source: link to origin.com (“full, unlimited access to our games, starting five days before they release. That’s right, no more limited-time trials. Play the full game starting five days before launch without purchasing it separately, until you cancel your Premier membership.”)

• aircool says:

Yep. I’m confused. There was something about ‘streaming services’ as well. Is that like the Nvidia Shield TV game streaming service that I never use?

• Sarfrin says:

Normal origin access lets you download and play a selection of older EA games. Premier lets you download new games as well.

• Don Reba says:

The problem is that the Origin Access experience only goes up to 10. Origin Access Premier takes up to 11 — that’s the difference.

2. Astaa says:

Does it come with a special badge shaped like a vagina, designed to sit upon a persons forehead?

3. aircool says:

Wait? What? Madden returning to PC? About bloody time! I’ve missed that game.

• lglethal says:

Really after Blood Bowl you want to go back to standard Madden? Come on I mean, when was the last time someone used a chainsaw in a Madden game?
      :P

4. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Also, they have recently added Pillars of Eternity: Hero Edition and Bulletstorm – Lite (classic, not a remaster). I resubbed for Bulletstorm, but now I play Pillars of Eternity most of the time…it is a damn good Obsidian RPG and I love it. It just seems I might finish it in the next 5 years or something, so I should probably wait for a sale and just buy it.

And LOL, NFS: Payback is already in the Vault… no wonder, as it is an utter trash and I haven’t even finished the trial of it.

5. TormDK says:

I’ve had, and have been very pleased with, the Origin Access program for PC ever since it became a thing, so colour me an early adaptor.

From what I’ve seen so far however, this new offering is not going to be worth it to me to just leave running like I do with Origin Access – it’s too high a cost increase for too little benefit. The 5 day unrestricted early access for the cost of 10 euro isn’t bad per say, it’s just not worth it to me to just leave running, which I guess is EA’s main desire.

If they started offering better discounts, or exclusive in-game content, I might revisit it.

6. pookie191 says:

Careful you don’t fall into that empty barrel EA when you are scrapping the bottom

Comment on this story