Cyberpunk 2077 looks wild in its E3 trailer

I’ve been waiting a long time to see more from Cyberpunk 2077, the next RPG from The Witcher devs CD Projekt Red, and daaamn. Today they gave us a whistlestop tour of its city in the game’s E3 trailer, and it looks weird, wild, and a place I’d very much like to visit. Night City is crowded, colourful, vibrant, and full of terrible things for most people but the shining high-life for a select few. After years of waiting, I am p. dang excited for this one now. Watch the trailer below.

I know, right? I like so much that it sticks to old vision of the future from the original Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop RPG and other 80s cyberpunk, with blocky gleaming metal cybernetic implants, gas masks, mohawks, cowboy hats, and that dang car.

Sure, it doesn’t show anything solid of the game, but these designs… ah, sorry, I need to wrap this post up because I want to enjoy watching the trailer another few times.

Still no firm word on when Cyberpunk 2077 will launch. I expect CD Projekt Red will gab more about the game during E3 next week. For now, you can sign up for a newsletter on its site.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

1. Don Reba says:

Even if it doesn’t get a release date, we’ll see it live in just 59 years!

• automatic says:

“The future is now.” Except maybe for the flying cars. The only piece of sci-fi that never becomes true, probably because it would break all the sci-fis out there. In fact, maybe the whole purpose of those kind stories is to promote cars that can fly.

2. Umberto Bongo says:

Still ridiculously excited, but it does all look a bit sunny, doesn’t it? Where’s the rain? The bleakness?

• Don Reba says:

Bullets are the beauty of the blistering sky.

• Varak says:

Cyberpunk =/= Blade Runner

• Excors says:

Seems an appropriate modernisation of traditional cyberpunk imagery: “The sky was the perfect untroubled blue of a television screen, tuned to a dead channel.”

• airmikee99 says:

Cyberpunk doesn’t equate to post-apocalyptic. It’s more to do with hightech and a lower standard of living for most, AI’s and cybernetics, and a virtual world that most people abuse because of said lower standard of living.

• LexW1 says:

To be fair the Cyberpunk 2020 world, which this is based on, is semi-apocalyptic, with for example, almost the birds in the world having died (arguably all, but they backtracked on that).

This does look EXACTLY like CP2020 though, in the best possible way. Like someone went through every single CP2020 sourcebook and just look at what was cool, and how you would put in game, now we actually basically live in 2020 (I would so unsurprised if the game came out in early 2020, that would be amazing). A lot of things people wondered if they’d change are in here, intact – AVs (the specific kind of flying vehicle they use), Trauma Team, and soon.

But rainy? Night City was never rainy. It’s between LA and San Francisco, IIRC, but closer to LA both in character and climate.

• airmikee99 says:

I don’t remember it being even semi-apocalyptic. Granted it’s been a long time since I played it. Socio-economic collapse leading to a weakened government with megacorporations in control of everything is nightmarish, but most of the worlds inhabitants were not been wiped out.

• LexW1 says:

Night City is not that far north of where LA is in reality, so it’s not going to be terribly rain-y. Climate looks about right for that part of California.

• UnfriendlyDevice says:

I’m sure it was a conscious decision to differentiate it from other cyberpunk worlds, I’m sure there will be neon and rain soaked nights though.

• vurt says:

i guess you’ve never played open-world games. They have weather systems, day/night cycles. there will obviously be fog and rain and darkness.

3. LearningToSmile says:

Looks pretty great. It’s awesome they didn’t go generic night-time-rain cyberpunk setting.

4. trueplayer says:

There is kind of a “hidden” message at the end of the video: link to wykop.pl

5. Thulsa Hex says:

Delighted to finally catch a glimpse of that Night City livin’! I was caught a little off guard by how so much of the trailer was bathed in daylight, but that’s not a complaint at all! Made for a more curious reveal than the expected noire perma-night. I am definitely digging the 80s futurevibe.

Itching to see some gameplay, now. Hope there plenty of strolling around and chilling with frenemies.

6. airmikee99 says:

I think if William Gibson were to watch that trailer he’d be impressed. Definitely has his ‘Johnny Mnemonic’ world of technology clashing with life signature.

• milligna says:

I doubt it. You ever hear him talk about video games?

• Zenicetus says:

Yep, every time I’ve read an interview with Gibson, I can’t believe that’s the guy who wrote all those novels I loved back in the day.

And we STILL don’t have a decent videogame that imagines what his jacked-in hacker experience is like.

• airmikee99 says:

You haven’t gotten around to reading ‘The Peripheral’ yet, obviously.

• Shuck says:

He saw it; he’s not that impressed: “The trailer for Cyberpunk 2077 strikes me as GTA skinned-over with a generic 80s retro-future, but hey, that’s just me.”

• MikoSquiz says:

He should know, since he invented that generic 80s retro-future. It’s a dead ringer for his, at least.

(Of course, he did go on to invent further retro-futures, which unfortunately were less interesting and a whole lot less fun.)

• LexW1 says:

To be fair to him, it wasn’t a retro-future when he invented it, and few of his other attempts have been retro-futures.

On the other hand, he did popularize the very NOTION of a retro-future, not via Neuromancer (which was once-modern and simply got aged past – it’s no more retro than Jules Verne was) et al, but rather by The Gernsback Continuum, which is about a 1930s retrofuture in the early 1980s.

So I imagine to him, this kind of looks like a Gernsback Continuum situation.

• airmikee99 says:

Right? Raygun Gothic?

Must be like Tori Amos denying the existence of her synthpop-glamrock ‘Y Kant Tori Read’ album, or Ministry disassociating itself from their not-even-close-to-industrial ‘With Sympathy’ album. They don’t want to admit they created something that obviously offends their esthetic preference so they pretend it doesn’t exist.

• LexW1 says:

He’s not wrong, but that’s always what it was going to be, and it doesn’t mean it won’t be astonishingly awesome.

• khamul says:

It does look like a reskinned GTA, but if Mike Pondsmith has continued working with Projekt Red, I have confidence it won’t be.

The first rule of Cyberpunk is Style Over Substance. But the zeroth rule is Break The Rules. Cyberpunk is about show, and noise, and neon and chrome – all to hide the fact that you do care, and can’t stop caring, and its the heart that matters, not the skin of things.

So yeah, the trailer is chrome. All shiny. ‘cos that what you show, when you go somewhere like E3, and it’s all the punks are looking to see. But just ‘cos the chrome is shiny doesn’t mean there isn’t a heart underneath it.

7. inferno493 says:

So is this basically Neuromancer then? Because I have been waiting for that game to arrive for decades. I noticed the sky wasn’t the color of television tuned to a dead channel however.

8. Abacus says:

This is the kind of Cyberpunk I was hoping for. Giving me some serious 2000AD and Transmetropolitan vibes, a style that I haven’t ever seen in a video game. Glad it didn’t go the Blade Runner route, as much as I love BR we have reached a point where the ‘neo noir’ aspect seems too synonymous with cyberpunk as a setting.

9. aircool says:

As long as they don’t fuck up the movement and combat…

10. icarussc says:

I think that subway map from the first image is based on my city, Shanghai …

• LexW1 says:

Quite possibly, though it is true to Night City’s known layout from CP2020 (which never had a detail subway map, IIRC), and there is a certain similarity between most/all subway maps, hence the excellent Mini Metro.

11. Zenicetus says:

That looks good.

Please don’t let driving that car be a major part of the game. First, I’m no good at driving games. And second, it’s not what I associate with “cyberpunk,” although I’m more familiar with the Gibson books than the game this is based on.

If there is a day/night cycle (and there should be, yeah?), that might take care of people wanting a more Bladerunner/neon city look. OTOH, that’s been done to death, so it’s kind of refreshing to see these daylight scenes.

• Kreeth says:

If you whistle, the car drives out from behind the nearest pile of rubbish, no matter where you are.

Then it gets stuck on a fence and refuses to move unless you fast travel to a different part of the map and whistle again.

• LexW1 says:

“Please don’t let driving that car be a major part of the game.”

It’s long been rumoured that driving is a fairly major part of CP2077, and this awesome car being prominent does seem to suggest that might be the case.

On the other hand, there will definitely be other ways to get around. No way that subway doesn’t work, for example, and we’ve seen a ton of “AVs”- i.e. Aerial Vehicles, which is CP2020 (now 2077) for “flying cars/vans”, which will no doubt be able to call as taxis, hijack, own and so on. The trailer shows a Trauma Team AV being used for a hit, which is sort of equivalent of an ambulance being used for a hit IRL, and strongly suggests you can hijack them (hijacking a Trauma Team AV, because they were easy to get to arrive – just call Trauma Team – was a classic badguy or desperation move).

12. sagredo1632 says:

In an era where so many games milk the news cycle with announcements for Early Access, pre-Alpha, Beta, preview builds, release date announcements, announcements for a release date announcement, and a constant slow-drip of paltry post-release content, it’s a relief that CD Projekt Red has stuck to releasing occasional, but relatively substantial markers of their progress.

13. Plok says:

Yep. I’m in love.

14. StarJuice says:

Can’t wait for more about this one!

15. Turkey says:

Yeah, no cynicism. This looks straight up amazing.

• LexW1 says:

Yeah, I mean I think I’m a mild “detractor” for CDPR in general, and I didn’t love TW3 (though I was pretty impressed), but this. I mean what can I say? Cynicism was sadistically minigunned from the side-door of an AV.

• ZenArcade says:

Looks gorgeous and I similarly was both impressed and put off by The Witcher 3. Hope this is great.

One of the few things that genuinely impressed me in the show so far. This and Sekiro, the new Fromsoft thing.

16. melancholicthug says:

Holy hell, that looked pretty. I still have to play Witcher.

17. Ham Solo says:

I like the look of this.

18. heretic says:

Cyberbrain death – check!

19. sege says:

ICE in 2077! Yeah!
    This looks so cool…cannot wait!
    I <3 U CD Projekt Red!

20. Cinek says:

It really does look like GTA in future.

Not a big fan of that… thankfully the disclaimer at the end of the trailer makes me hopefull.

Oh… and BTW: What’s up with those animations? It’s awful, like from a cheap console title. Look at the scene where they kick someone on the ground – it’s like the “standard videogame kick animation“, they purchased it off Unity store or what? lol. They were supposed to use motion capture in this game, and it looks like they did for some anims, but then there’s awfull stuff like that… gash…

• automatic says:

I tought the same thing. Hopefully this is not just GTA with flying cars.

I think animations look ok for a game though.

21. Blade says:

I got strong Gesaffelstein vibes from the music. Which is awesome. This music is probably quite divisive with the wide audience but I for one hope that the combat in Cyberpunk 2077 will be to these industrial techno beats.

22. Kefren says:

That’s one of the best trailers I have seen since Bioshock for making me want to buy a game. Knowing I’ll be able to get it DRM-free, and it has a first-person view, makes me even more excited. Happy times.

Comment on this story