Fallout 76 is a prequel, “four times the size” of FO4

Bethesda have confirmed that Fallout 76 will be a prequel to the post-apocalyptic RPG series, showing off the hills of West Virginia in a new trailer during Microsoft’s E3 briefing. Game director Todd Howard was on stage to say that it follows some of the first people to emerge from a Vault after the nuclear war, reestablishing society in a chunk of virtual space that’s “four times the size of Fallout 4”. Watch the trailer below.

Sure, that’s a land I would like to roam.

Bethesda’s own E3 presentation is later tonight so I’m sure we’ll see and hear a lot more soon.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

1. DarkFenix says:

So, four times the number of empty DIY settlements full of generic “settler”, four times the area to be sent on generic, soulless missions the game will generate an infinite number of. They also make a point of talking about “rebuilding”, I sure hope that means they don’t make their wannabe Sims game take front and centre even more than it did in FO4.

Fallout 4 was such a huge step backwards in all but the gunplay, that it’s going to take a lot for me to have any interest in this.

• Jord68 says:

Agreed, FO4 was such a waste. I’m worried this will be much the same. Either another crap Fallout focused on the lame building mechanics with no RPG elements to speak of or an even worse MMO game.

At the very least If it’s a FO4.5 I hope they got rid of the godawful player voice acting. Playing anything other than a generic friendly white male or female was odd. The voices didn’t match any other race, and the dialogue made it extremely difficult to roleplay as evil.

• BobbyDylan says:

I suppose that depends on ho you look at it. IMHO, Fallout 3 and 4 are not fallout games. They’re just really shitty “Retro-ristic” TES games. Fallout 4 at lest had something more than just the terrible Bethesda writing, and family-friendly bland quests.

• jj2112 says:

But just think about the number of “Another settlement needs your help”-type missions we’ll be getting!

• TillEulenspiegel says:

I have zero faith in Bethesda, but any vague hint of a mainstream sandbox MMO catches my attention. A huge world is one of those things that’s necessary but not sufficient to create certain experiences.

Even empty space isn’t necessarily bad; you could build entire games around mechanics which depend on long travel times. Either in-game time (consuming tons of resources to quick-travel) or real-time.

I’m just being silly though, AAA games don’t do interesting things like that. Especially not MMOs.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

As much as FO4 was a letdown, the Far Harbor DLC was fantastic, everything that a Fallout game should have had from the start. Here’s hoping that means they learned their lesson, and this game will be better for it.

2. Janichsan says:

Who the hell left the mouse pointer on screen while the trailer was running??!!

3. Someoldguy says:

I’d expect the earliest people to leave a vault to find more of a blasted radioactive wasteland, not more leafy trees.

I wasn’t wowed by FO4’s plot but I did appreciate their attempts to introduce crafting as a way to rebuild a bit rather than just murderhobo your way around. Hopefully this time they’ll give it all more purpose.

• brucethemoose says:

Anything in West Virginia is a lower priority target than, say, Washington DC or Boston. So it’s not necessarily going to be a smoldering crater like 3 or 4, hence coming out earlier makes some sense.

Meanwhile, Las Vegas was a scorching desert before the bombs fell.

4. Trodomir says:

Oh yay, it’s 4x what nobody wanted. Ugh.

5. brucethemoose says:

I get that everyone wants another Fallout New Vegas, but I’d probably play the heck out The Sims/Simcity: Nuclear Edition. There’s a fairly popular FO4 mod just for that.

Not sure why everyone’s freaking out. BGS themselves implied that they got tired of churning out the same RPGs year after year, which is perfectly reasonable.

• Zenicetus says:

A big part of the freakout is people who just want another singleplayer game, and not a MOO.

This wouldn’t be my favorite part of the USA to set a Fallout game in, or my preferred timing after the war. And I didn’t enjoy the base-building stuff that much in FO4. But I like the way Bethesda creates Fallout-flavored environments to roam around in. So I’d buy another singleplayer game.

I have zero interest if it’s multiplayer, and that trailer gives no hint about which kind of game it is.

• brucethemoose says:

I don’t really understand the “I won’t buy it if it’s multiplayer” attitude either. That’s too broad of a generalization.

If it’s a WoW MMO, or battle royale, or barebones Rust/Dayz-like survival, I’ll avoid it like it’s FEV. But it could be a unintrusive or optional form of multiplayer, or something different for all we know.

• Zenicetus says:

Well, if you want a more fine-grained description while we wait for details, my personal view is that I don’t care if there is optional co-op, or optional drop-in, as long as the game is primarily designed for singleplayer, and not an online game where singleplayer is tacked on the side as an afterthought, or underdeveloped (looking at you, Elite Dangerous).

I don’t think I’m alone with that view, but then I’m an older guy who spent my time in WoW years ago, and now only play co-op with my wife (games like Divinity Sin OS and OS 2). I have no patience for meeting up with randoms in a full-blown MMO.

6. milligna says:

Looks great to me, bring on the 4 player co-op please.

7. vorador says:

Four times the size of Fallout 4 = four times the fun, right?

Well, at least i will be able to avoid better the main questline with that much terrain.

Hire better writers, Bethesda! Or at least someone who passes of as such.

• fish99 says:

Fallout 4’s map did feel quite small to me after a game like Skyrim. If they spread the same content over a bigger map and make it feel less cramped, I wouldn’t mind that.

8. Werthead says:

Locations in the trailer:

The New River Gorge Bridge
    The State Capitol in Charleston
    The Greenbrier
    Woodburn Hall, Morgantown
    Point Pleasant (home of the Mothman, who seems to the inspiration for a monster in the game)

The Greenbrier, which looks like the White House on steroids, has a nuclear fallout bunker in its basement IRL, so it’d be cool if that’s where Vault 76 is located.

More interestingly, those locations are right on opposite sites of the state, so it looks like the map will be the entire state of West Virginia, making it the biggest Fallout game to date. Four times the size of Fallout 4’s map would also make this the biggest RPG Bethesda has ever hand-crafted (Arena and Daggerfall’s maps were technically thousands of times bigger, but they were procedurally generated).

More information from the Bethesda event tonight (2am GMT) which should clarify what the multiplayer/survival elements are in the game.

9. literarylottie says:

Nice Greenbrier reference; I was wondering if the WV setting meant it would be a playable location.

10. Palindrome says:

I am expecting something along the lines of Conan:Exiles here, although perhaps a purely PvE version.

11. UttiniDaKilrJawa says:

Would be cool if they went State of Decay 2 style multiplayer where you can select Private (solo), Friends (co-op from friends list), and Public (co-op / pvp depending on who you meet). Also, I hope this can be play without a net connection.

12. StAUG says:

I hope they’re dialling back the Sims/Minecraft settlement stuff this time around. I quite liked Fallout 4 despite it’s flaws but once I got past the initial main plot and tutorial stuff based around the settlement building I avoided it like the plague.

13. brucethemoose says:

Aaand it’s an open world survival MMO.

14. grimdanfango says:

Why can’t they do something like 2K did with XCom? Continue making their 1st-person dross, but *also* farm out the license to another studio to make a classic, turn-based, isometric “spin-off” of Fallout, which will ultimately sell better, and make everyone realise that’s what people wanted all along?

Obsidian would seem the obvious choice, but they already forced out Chris Avellone. I actually reckon Larian Studios would be a good bet, if they were up for it – they’ve got both a keen sense for turn-based combat, a sense of humour, and serious quality chops… plus they’re buds with Avellone too :-P

15. ShinsFortress says:

Sorry, as cool as it sounds (private servers with people able to set their own criterion is good) but I won’t be getting it. I don’t do prequels. Not anymore…..

Comment on this story