Forza Horizon 4 racing across Britain in October

The next race ’em up in Playground Games’ fine Forza Horizon series will zoom around a land near and dear to our own hearts. Microsoft today announced Forza Horizon 4, racing across “historic” Blighty in an open shared world. Their gameplay demo on stage included a street in Edinburgh I walked along less than an hour ago, which was surreal but quite pleasant to see. Too few games are set in our green land. Here, watch the announcement trailer and see where you recognise.

The game will have dynamic seasons too, rotating at the same time for all players, which obviously affect racing conditions. See the game’s page for more.

I always enjoy seeing familiar places ha-ha-hilariously idealised in video games. Sure, a realistic Princes Street wouldn’t be fun to race along, but I barely recognise this place without roadworks, huge crowds of people filling the corners by traffic lights, and tourists taking up the whole pavement dragging luggage. What a dream! And if it doesn’t fill up with street performers, walking silent discos, and leafletters during summer…

Forza Horizon 4 is coming on October 2nd, as a Windows 10 exclusive – as all Microsoft’s own games are. It’ll also be playable through the Xbox Game Pass, Microsoft’s subscription service, from launch day.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

1. SaintAn says:

I hate racing games other than Mario Kart and Burnout, but the changing seasons make me want this pretty badly. And makes me think it’s more likely Fable 4 might be getting seasons since it’s the same dev making Fable.

2. Frosty Grin says:

I wonder if/when they’re going to add FH3 to the Game Pass.

3. grrrz says:

“fuck you nature” the game

4. Riaktion says:

Forza Horizon 3 is probably one of the best racing games I have ever played, especially on PC (after they patched it). Already looking forward to this one :)

• icarussc says:

If only it was ever available on sale! Darn you, Windows Store exclusivity!

• Riaktion says:

Ah well it’s funny you say that, as I actually did buy it on sale through the windows store. It was £19.99 if I recall :).

**EDIT** In fact I have just checked now (00:13, 11.06.18 Uk time) and it is on sale again… for £19.99! That’s the cheapest you’ll see it, get it now if you want it :)

5. Ham Solo says:

Oi! You’ve got a loicense for that, mate?

6. TheSplund says:

Interestingly (at least to me) the top picture features a LH drive Healy – the only other LH drive one I’ve seen was the one that my son-in-law’s boss let him and my daughter out to play in (lucky bastards!) for the afternoon. Thought the picture might have been flipped but the E-type is RH. I guess a lot went to the US market in the 60s but it’s odd to me that one ‘native’ car is shown as a LH variant.

7. Malcolm says:

Is this the game to scratch my Project Gotham Racing itch? Never enjoyed a racing game as much as that series (Burnout Paradise came reasonably close)

• Cederic says:

I bought an xbox to play PGR. As you say, nothing else has come close.

Windows 10 exclusivity wont stop me getting this. Windows Store exclusivity will.

Dear Microsoft, if you would like a successful games software business, try selling your games where people are buying them. Yours, etc.

Comment on this story